drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » vinyl distortion/hissing
Go to the bottom of this page vinyl distortion/hissing
Author

images/avatars/avatar-3333.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2011

hey, im sort of a noob and haven't posted before, but i found some great samples on this site and thought I'd give the forums a shot with this thing i've been struggling with.

so there's this technique i've been hearing a lot where this sort of white noise vinyl distortion getting used rhythmically. you can hear it pretty clearly in this gold panda song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRLreGvjC4c&feature=related

also, at around 0:20 in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4c4mHkueFk&feature=related

anyone have any idea how to achieve that kind of sound? it gives beats and samples a kind of warm feel and it also seems like a good way to fill up empty space.

thanks in advance!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by danielins: 17-04-2011 13:45.

17-04-2011 13:37
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

I'm not sure whether you can 'make' it as such... if you've got a vinyl that's crackley, then sample that! Layer it onto a pad (which has attack) and attenuate the low frequencies whilst amplifyin' the higher frequencies... I tried to use white noise for that sound, but it's gotta be vinyl noise!

__
CtMc Cool
17-05-2011 18:57
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I've got one of my mum's vinyls which has a lot of crackle on it, want me to record some of that noise and email it?

__
CtMc Cool
17-05-2011 18:59
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

try izotope vynl vst its free off izotope website.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
18-05-2011 07:37
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

The whole idea is indeed to give the samples a more vintage feel.
(First make them ultraclean, then add dirt, mankind is weird)
You can find a lot of samples out there from vinyl crackle, just layer them under your sounds. Or go for the Isotope Vinyl like m-ej said.

If you use Reason then there's a combinator that does the same thing: http://www.igoa-music.de/files/Vinylizer.cmb

Make sure to use some analog sounding warmifier or tape saturation on the rest of your sound because ultra clean and ultra sharp instruments on top of a bed of vinyl noise isn't very convincing when it comes to adding a vintage feel.

To finish it off you should not go for totally boosting your mix to the max (loudness war) and you might want to use the Vinyl mastering preset from Isotope Ozone or something like that just to make the illusion complete Big Grin

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
18-05-2011 10:39 Homepage of BattleDrone
danielins

hey guys, thanks for the responses! had kind of forgotten about this thread until now.

Ciaran: thanks for the suggestion and offer..i actually got the same idea a few days ago and was just about to test it out now. i actually have a turntable with a USB connection that im gonna use to record some crackle off some of my own vinyls, but if you've got some good samples i could use, definitely send them my way. i'll never pass up an opportunity to expand my sample library! i'll PM ya my email.

m-ej and battle drone: i tried using Ableton Live's built in vinyl distortion plug in and didnt get any good results..but i will definitely try out isotope
28-05-2011 12:56
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

okay do that, I've got an old 10cc vinyl waiting to be unleashed haha

__
CtMc Cool
28-05-2011 12:58
danielins

hahah sounds good
28-05-2011 13:29
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

iv used izotope vyinl on quite a few tracks

Close Proximity - I Know

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
28-05-2011 22:27
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » vinyl distortion/hissing