drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Low cutting eating up my head room.
Go to the bottom of this page Low cutting eating up my head room.
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 01-03-2009

Why is it that when I low cut my tracks,say drums rather than decreasing the gain it increases the gain. This seems counter intuative as you would think removing frequencies would decrease the gain. I'm using logic by way and the eq's that come with it. I found the same thing in Fl studio as well. Is it something to do with resonance of the eq that is causing a boost somewhere along the way? Any eq's that dont have this effect?
20-03-2011 19:21
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I've had similar problems using the Waves REQ- whenever I do a cut, the gain goes up by 2 dB or so.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
20-03-2011 22:25 Homepage of Phalanx
padders
Tourist

Cheers nice to know its not just me. But can anyone expain this as I don't understand it.
21-03-2011 22:10
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Are you making a really steep EQ curve?
If yes, that isn't very good because for some reason you introduce new frequencies (Chron can explain this as he is a trained audio engineer).
Maybe it's better to:
- use a soft curve
- use a different tool
- use a simple hi-pass filter

It's also possible that you are filtering out a ton of rumble and that the free space is used by a master compressor to push up all the rest.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-03-2011 08:57 Homepage of BattleDrone
Impact
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
It's also possible that you are filtering out a ton of rumble and that the free space is used by a master compressor to push up all the rest.

This. imo.

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service
22-03-2011 09:30
padders
Tourist

ok cheers, i have been using logic channel eq with a steep curve. Using a less harsh slope however doesn't remove all those low frequencies.
I thought that a filters tend to have quite a steep curve as well.
I have tried using logic low pass eq and doesn't seem to has much of an effect but still increases the gain a little.
This happens without any compressor on the master channel.
Why do they add frequencies? is it due to resonance?
What eq to do you use?

Tar
22-03-2011 19:11
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I use IL Maximus on the master as it has a good and easy way to hi pass the master bus without messing up the sound.

__
22-03-2011 21:17 Homepage of BattleDrone
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

There are ways to radically remove all content below a certain frequency (let’s say 30herz) but the common equalizers won’t do that, they just roll stuff off.
The issue is that most of the time the roll off affects the sound that remains inside the cutoff boundaries as well. Either stuff close to the roll off gets quieter or you get more overall gain due to phase distortion (roughly said: the eq introduces small delays, frequencies will shift and just clash into each other).
You can solve this using linear phase equalizers that introduce the same amount of latency to all frequencies. Use google to find demos and give it a go.
22-03-2011 23:23 Homepage of Gregg
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Gregg
There are ways to radically remove all content below a certain frequency (let’s say 30herz) but the common equalizers won’t do that, they just roll stuff off.
The issue is that most of the time the roll off affects the sound that remains inside the cutoff boundaries as well. Either stuff close to the roll off gets quieter or you get more overall gain due to phase distortion (roughly said: the eq introduces small delays, frequencies will shift and just clash into each other).
You can solve this using linear phase equalizers that introduce the same amount of latency to all frequencies. Use google to find demos and give it a go.

That's one hell of a decent post matey Bigup

__
23-03-2011 19:51 Homepage of BattleDrone
padders
Tourist

yep thats some great knowledge i'd never heard before. I'll try that.
big ups
26-03-2011 09:52
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I'm glad my effort is appreciated. Smile
26-03-2011 19:23 Homepage of Gregg
padders
Tourist

Right so I've been looking up eqs and found this one which is free and guess what no increases in the gain when cutting! Problem solved
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2011/01/...sed-by-voxengo/
27-03-2011 18:19
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Low cutting eating up my head room.