drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » A question of structure...
Go to the bottom of this page A question of structure...
Author
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

Do we aim to be DJ friendly with our production or just make a listenable tune??

this thread: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthrea...t=275054&page=2

seems to have a few bugbears of DJ's about dnb producers and their tracks..

Interesting take on it.
I have a couple of mates who DJ and they say that my breakdowns are always too short... maybe they should learn to mix faster Big Grin

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service
01-03-2011 16:17
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I dunno about breakdowns, but I'm not a fan of 1:30 intro's...
WTF?

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-03-2011 21:06 Homepage of BattleDrone
sevin
Producer

Registration Date: 09-01-2011

1:30 intro's are fine... makes a welcome change from all the 'switch mixing' and allows the dj to enjoy a bit of beat matching for once... a good dj shouldn't care about the lengh of an intro.. he should know the tracks he plays nside and out

__
mummy!! i made a song!! if i press this note.... and this one.... and this one....... and add these drums (click)and this funny bass sound (click)....

01-03-2011 21:11
Spectral Pace
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 19-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

This is an interesting point. At the end of the day Drum N Bass at it's heart is 'club' music. If we forget that then it starts to become something else (better or worse, who knows).

I tend to prefer short intros, (32 bars) although some producers take the piss (Sub Focus - Timewarp VIP - 16bars!). I think its all about variety. You wanna do some long mixes, some short mixes, some switch mixes, but Sevin's right, a good DJ should know his (or her Big Grin ) tunes inside out.

It's not just about intros either. I've found that if I want to tease a tune, then unless I'm quick as a flash taking the teaser off and mixing the new tune in, I usually miss the track marker and am too late to mix the tune in for the second drop (hence the need for 3 decks).

Impact - in answer to your first question, I think that they have to be DJ friendly. If they're listenable then that's cool also, but the priority has to be for a club/DJ environment. Obviously DnB is so diverse now that you've got lots of different types to appeal to different audiences.

Anyway, Peace.

Spectral
01-03-2011 21:32
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

do two versions, one dj freindly and one that pleases you. Smile

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
01-03-2011 21:46
XTC Nottingham

Registration Date: 02-03-2011

Tunes with a very long synth etc intro's are all well and good but they can only really be used as set starters IMO unless you add a nice crisp hi hat that a dj can easily hear.
I skipped past many a good tune in my box back in the day as I could not hear the intro when playing it live. great for a studio tape but not on the road.

If you make a tune that can be mixed easily from the start it would get a lot more chance of being played out.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by XTC Nottingham: 02-03-2011 12:49.

02-03-2011 01:07
dLO dLO is a male
dannyLO

images/avatars/avatar-3081.jpg

Registration Date: 29-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.83

quote:
Originally posted by Impact
Do we aim to be DJ friendly with our production or just make a listenable tune??

this thread: http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthrea...t=275054&page=2

seems to have a few bugbears of DJ's about dnb producers and their tracks..

Interesting take on it.
I have a couple of mates who DJ and they say that my breakdowns are always too short... maybe they should learn to mix faster Big Grin

i've just been getting into mixing over the past month or so & have noticed that its much more interesting (dare i say easier) to mix songs with longer intros / bridges. I feel like the longer intros gives you time to mess with the switch & gives you a little more leeway with entry / exit points.

Agree w/ earlier points tho - DJs should now their tunes inside / out.

__
follow me here:
http://soundcloud.com/dannylo
02-03-2011 18:49
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I'm more a Ramones kinda guy... One Two Three Four... BANG Big Grin

I hate making intros because it's really hard to keep it interesting make it build up and not give away the drop.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
03-03-2011 13:08 Homepage of BattleDrone
ksd ksd is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3163.jpg

Registration Date: 27-10-2009

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I'm more a Ramones kinda guy... One Two Three Four... BANG Big Grin

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
03-03-2011 23:05
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » A question of structure...