drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Frequency Range
Go to the bottom of this page Frequency Range
Author
Simplicity is the key

Registration Date: 19-03-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hey folks,

When I try to mix one of my songs to a professional, released song I can't help but notice that my songs seem to be muffled in comparison with those tracks.

Maybe I just don't give my synths enough high end, but I'm not sure how high I should go in Frequency Range. Any ideas to solve this "muffled" problem?
Or is it just a mastering thing?

__

26-02-2011 10:03
pusha
waveform molester

images/avatars/avatar-2985.jpg

Registration Date: 07-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.14

I think all your tracks lately have been pretty well rounded mate, I wouldn't over boost your highs because that will create an opposite reaction a high tin canny sound if over done .
Try cutting as much low where not needed .
You could also try pitching elements as well to fit the mix of the track you gotta just get your ear in and trust it . Hope this helps mate

__
buy the ticket take the ride
26-02-2011 10:22
simage
Simplicity is the key

Helpfulness rating: 

Cheers mate Smile

__

26-02-2011 10:40
Spectral Pace
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 19-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

Hey Simage. I'm not an expert, but there are a few tricks to get a mix sounding right and 'unmuffled'.
If you have a frequency analyser, analyse the tune and make sure you have no frequencies at all below 40hz. Also some recommend to make sure your sub and mid range bass are not clashing.
Frequencies between 300 and 400hz are usually responsible for a muffled or muddy sound, you could just do a 1-2db cut on your master eq at 350hz.
Also for a bit of sparkle, try a 1-2db boost at 10 or 12khz. This is not a fail safe method, but you will have to try it to see what it sounds like. Also have you panned elements in your tune?
The general (very general) rule in dnb or other types of dance music is not to pan more than 75-80% as dance music is usually played mono on club systems. Kick, snare, sub, mid range bass and 'lead' vocals should always be mono (centre of the soundstage).
I have my break mono also and playing between the kick and the snare. My high percussion I have some parts 20% to the left and other parts 20% to the right. It just gives it a bit of space.
Pad sounds and swishes can be panned slightly more, but you will have to experiment a bit and see what you prefer.
All the best, Spectral
26-02-2011 11:17
simage
Simplicity is the key

Helpfulness rating: 

Spectral thanks mate. Extremely helpful comment.
Cheers Wink

__

26-02-2011 11:52
Spectral Pace
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

No worries man.
26-02-2011 14:08
Impact
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

but - I would be aware that you dont always want your bass or breaks in pure mono..
If you EQ tightly enough you can get away with stereo bass (as most of the neuro boys do) and stereo breaks are often the best to listen to.

Depends on what your target is; club rig or smaller scale listening..

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service
26-02-2011 15:32
pusha
waveform molester

images/avatars/avatar-2985.jpg

Registration Date: 07-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.14

I'd say your style the kind of netsky style you wouldn't want to make to much mono tbh your tracks are more floaty sounds which require a fair bit of stereo to enhance the feel , if u mono to much you kill rhythm I would mono driving elements like kick snare and sub , def not hads or breaks as these are airy elements and give roll and space to your track you could mono your break as long ad you have a stero one as well the mono one could be shuffles in that instance I know your a reason user like me so u won't have the luxury of a spec analyser unless rewire which I do I use one call blue cat analyser it's pretty good also in reason when u use the eq always put the 20 hz cut on

__
buy the ticket take the ride
27-02-2011 14:22
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

just make sure u dont over boost your bass, and cut low ends of synths 2.
I found out that even when synth do not seem to have alot of low end, they can still be there to muffle it up a bit.
u can boost ur synths on the high a lil, but again as told in this thread, dont over do that.
and play around with stero separation.
Bass between mono and stereo works best for me.
high synths fairly wide to give a spaceious feeling.
mid synth between very wide and the bass
kicks and snare dead centre and your hats and percs a bit like the mid ranged synths.

hope this helps a bit.

__

The One - Age Break
27-02-2011 20:33
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

The main reason people make their bass sounds mono is because when it's cut to vinyl stereo bass sounds make the needle jump, so if you plan on getting your tunes released on vinyl it's important to make sure the bottom end of your track at least sounds good in mono.
05-03-2011 12:48
BLoodstain BLoodstain is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 27-03-2009

What i have learned recently is "The Mixdown"
There are some values that come in handy when mixing down a track,
What i've read is this
Drums: 0 db
Synths for melody & stuff: -6db
sub: -8 to - 10db

These are values that are a guideline.

Other than that indeed, look out for clashing hz's
Parametric EQ 2 is a Equalizer with a Frequency spectrum analyzer in it.
But that's in FL
so what you gotta do is look for a Spectrum analyzer.
after a while you'll be used to it and you will hear it when it's not right
06-03-2011 21:50 Homepage of BLoodstain
Impact
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

the mixdown should ideally be unique to each track to avoid cookie cutter results (imo)

__
06-03-2011 22:13
Spectral Pace
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Impact
the mixdown should ideally be unique to each track to avoid cookie cutter results (imo)

Hear, hear!
08-03-2011 12:38
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Some dumb things I did in the past and well.. figured out they are dumb Big Grin

- Putting the complete drum section in mono, sounds very dull;
- Boosting shit to make it loud enough, it's better to turn all other shit down and compress on the master buss to lift your levels;
- Mixing in the reds, nothing should go in the red;
- Wide panning/stereo separation on pads, use some stereo on pads, but don't overdo it, it will sound unnatural;
- Big cuts to take out mud (250Hz-800Hz range), I was setting a param EQ with a huge dive at 525Hz (which is right in the middle between 250-800) on sounds that I thought were introducing mud in the mix (mid basses and stuff) but this fucks up your mix, make small dips (1-3db) instead of huge dives;
- Not making the sub mono, you can get frequency cancelling from that it will cancel parts of you bass and take out the power;
- Putting stereo imaging on you master bus, in tools like Ozone it is damn easy to mess up your tune by adding some artificial overall stereo setup, don't do it. The stereo is created by adding a tiny delay between the left and the right channel. The result sounds "funny".

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
09-03-2011 11:10 Homepage of BattleDrone
Nuben

Registration Date: 10-03-2011

Guess you already have a good general idea of this, but in harsh times it might come in handy (a good overview, though you might wanna save it as PDF for the zoom): Frequency Ranges

Well, maybe bit off subject, but hope it will be of some use to you ^^
10-03-2011 08:03
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Those types of lists are great to ruin your mix. Throw it away and never look at it again. You should use your ears instead of your eyes for EQing!!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
10-03-2011 22:15 Homepage of thechronic
Nuben

Registration Date: 10-03-2011

Agreed, but it's nice if you sometimes feel stuck... just to have something to work out from Smile
10-03-2011 23:57
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Those types of lists are great to ruin your mix. Throw it away and never look at it again. You should use your ears instead of your eyes for EQing!!

I second that Chron, in the beginning I thought I had to set up a basic project with mixer busses for Bassdrum, snare, hihats, ... and copy the settings on those schemes. You'll get the worst trash sound EVER when you do that.

EQing is more a question of applying tools when needed, not following stupid rules to get instant success without knowing what you are actually doing (like I thought back then).
In the beginning I thought about frequency ranges like a light switch, if you don't need it: turn it off. So I made all kinds of aggressive EQ curves that fuck up a sound instead of improving it (listen to my first tunes on here to see what I mean with "fucking up the sound"). Then I saw some projects from other producers who had a decent sound and I noticed they were lowering certain ranges by 3-6dB instead of my dumb knock-out approach. When I started to solve things in the same way my sound instantly improved.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
11-03-2011 10:21 Homepage of BattleDrone
Impact
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

__
11-03-2011 10:41
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Frequency Range