drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make heavier breaks?
Go to the bottom of this page How to make heavier breaks?
Author
Starving artist/DnB newbie

Registration Date: 04-02-2011

This is a vague question, but I find that my beats aren't very powerful, like most Drum and Bass tracks have. They just don't seem to have much "oomph", or enough of a punch to them.

For example: If you listen to Black Sun Empire's "Breach" the beats get heavy at around 2:12 or so, and if you listen to NOISIA's "Stigma" the beats get heavy at 1:20 or so. I don't have any real equipment for Drum and Bass producing other than Fruity Loops and sound files, and I'm hoping there's an easy way to get the same heavy, hard hitting beats that most DnB tracks have. Something with plenty of punch.

Like I said, this is a strange question, but I'm really hoping there's a way to match the powerful beats that most Drum and Bass tracks have.

Sorry for the strange question, but I'd like to know what would add more punch to my beats. :/

Thanks in advance! Big Grin

__
Starving artist an aspiring musician. Also, game designer.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by W3R3W00F: 11-02-2011 08:32.

11-02-2011 08:31
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Layering (adding several kicks & snares).
You can layer a kick with enough oomph together with a kick with good low mids to have a powerful punchy kick. Make sure not to combine the low ends of both kicks (hi-pass the kick with the good low mids at around 60Hz).
For snares you can layer a punchy attack, just the very first short bit of a punchy snare onto a snare that has enough body and length to sound full.
You can layer on white noise to give it more smash.

When layering you need to make sure that the different layers are tuned to each other and you have to check the balance. You don't want them to clearly sound as a bunch of drums on top of each other, it has to sound like one big monster of a drumhit.

Good compression on the kick, snare, other stuff and the whole drum section can help to add power but the risk for FAIL is pretty high. Don't overdo it and make your drums sound flattened and characterless

If your drums sound fine but you want just that extra bit of attack power you could run them through SPL attacker. A very simple plugin (I think it's just a compressor) that does a good job to give the whole thing extra power.

Sending your kick and snare partly through a distortion unit works really well too (get CamelAudio's free plugin called Camelcrusher, easy to use and it does a great job).

I also use a warmifier on the whole mix to give the whole track a more analog sound.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
11-02-2011 11:45 Homepage of BattleDrone
Impact
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

Great post BD! ^^^^^

which warmer do you favour?

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service
11-02-2011 14:33
W3R3W00F W3R3W00F is a male
Starving artist/DnB newbie

Registration Date: 04-02-2011

Excellent, thanks BattleDrone! Big Grin Will remember this advice for future projects. I'll look into learning more about FL Studio to see what I can do with it.

__
Starving artist an aspiring musician. Also, game designer.
12-02-2011 01:26
dawm_rule
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

you have to experiment with the limiting and compression stuff. I know you will think that this is obvious, but think twice. You've not had enough time spent with the EQing too. Try to add harsh frequencies with the snares end experiment with limiting of separate frequency fields.
18-03-2011 20:31
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I really like adding CamelPhat to my drums (and just about anything else)

I find that the distortion always adds more power to the sound, while taking it down several dB, so it's a good way to give yourself more headroom. However, you may need to add an EQ after the CamelPhat to pull out some of the unwanted harmonics and low end rumble.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
19-03-2011 10:47 Homepage of Phalanx
TarekFM
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-11-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

Compression, limiting all that stuff is icing on the cake.

What is neccesary is getting the sound right at source....which is basically, either finding hits in sample packs(many are free) which fill out the freq ranges as u want, or as desribed in one of the aforementioned posts, layering.

Compression, limiting, saturation, and eq will provide, character, definition and phatness(be aware that initial phatness comes from sound selection) to the sound.

__
Heavy Nu-Neuro-Check out new 174bpm monster-Liberation (WIP):
19-03-2011 19:30
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Impact
which warmer do you favour?

I use voxengo warmifier on the master and PSP VintageWarmer 2.5 as needed.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
19-03-2011 21:45 Homepage of BattleDrone
craic addict

Registration Date: 06-07-2009

I like to use a transient shaper like Schaak Audio tech's.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixi...-in-your-mixes/

gives the front end of your hits real "thwack!".
12-04-2011 23:17
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make heavier breaks?