drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make heavier breaks? (Sorry for "double thread", this thread got moved)
Go to the bottom of this page How to make heavier breaks? (Sorry for "double thread", this thread got moved)
Author
Starving artist/DnB newbie

Registration Date: 04-02-2011

This is a strange question, but I find that my beats aren't very powerful, like most Drum and Bass tracks. They just don't seem to have much "oomph", or enough of a punch to them.

For example: If you listen to Black Sun Empire's "Breach" the beats get heavy at around 2:12 or so, and if you listen to NOISIA's "Stigma" the beats get heavy at 1:20 or so. I don't have any real equipment for Drum and Bass producing other than Fruity Loops and sound files, and I'm hoping there's an easy way to get the same heavy, hard hitting sound that most DnB tracks have. Something with plenty of punch.

Like I said, this is a strange question, but I'm really hoping there's a way to match the powerful beats that most Drum and Bass tracks have.

Sorry for the strange question, but I'd like to know what would add more punch to my beats. :/

Thanks in advance! Big Grin

__
Starving artist an aspiring musician. Also, game designer.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by W3R3W00F: 12-02-2011 01:11.

11-02-2011 08:10
donnybrook donnybrook is a male
Donnybrook

images/avatars/avatar-3073.png

Registration Date: 10-03-2010

To get that heavy, hard hitting sound, try layering various kicks/snares/ assortment of glitchy noises over your breaks, I general have four or five different sounding layers over one particular break or pattern. It really helps. Also, try using a high-pass filter on your drum breaks towards the beginning of your tracks, and then when the bass drops let all hell loose.

__
I like stuff and things.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by donnybrook: 11-02-2011 20:43.

11-02-2011 20:40
W3R3W00F W3R3W00F is a male
Starving artist/DnB newbie

Registration Date: 04-02-2011

Awesome, thanks for the reply, Donnybrook! Will remember this advice. Smile

__
Starving artist an aspiring musician. Also, game designer.
12-02-2011 01:12
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How to make heavier breaks? (Sorry for "double thread", this thread got moved)