drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Sentinel - Pärasitè Ft. Këtan
Go to the bottom of this page Sentinel - Pärasitè Ft. Këtan
Author
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

Please check out my new track 'Pärasitè Ft. Këtan' and post your comments here!

alt dub @ 140 bpm.

lyrics written by me & performed by Ketan Dave aka Ketz.

asked him for faithless (esque) based vox which I think he nailed pretty well Smile

anyway lyrics are as follows:

THROUGH THESE EYES – THESE LIPS - - WE LIE
MY SELF PROCLAIMED PARASITIC RENEGADE.

THROUGH MINDS EYE - WE LIVE - - UN-AWARE OF REALITY

OUTKAST TO THE FALLEN – OUTKAST TO THE LOST - - LONG FORGOTTEN

RE-ANIMATED TISSUE – ANOTHER LIFE - - THY BODY MINE HOST

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sentinel: 29-01-2011 19:19.

29-01-2011 19:17 Homepage of Sentinel
Pace and Swift
Producer

Registration Date: 20-01-2011

A very sparse arrangement. Not much going on at all and it gets boring very quickly. This may be the effect you were trying to achieve (sparse, not boring!) but its a little too empty. I really don't like the 'my self proclaimed parasitic renegade' line. Don't forget that for full on lyrics, there has to be an understandable meaning for the listener. You don't want to confuse the person listening. I think the simpler shorter lines are much more effective (through these eyes ... etc). Also, the flute(?) and other wind instrument(s) don't sit right in this tune. I would add a lot more to this tune without taking away the whole 'chill-out' feel of it. All the best, Pace out.
30-01-2011 12:41 Homepage of Pace and Swift
entrapt

Registration Date: 30-01-2011

First thing that came to mind when i played it was way too much bottom end on the tracks kick and snare. Sounds like it could be interfering a bit with your main bit of subbass that comes in at 31seconds as well? Snare sounds a bit 'sharp' for the ambiance of the track. Bit more reverb or even another time stretched snare layered over the top would sound great.
Apart from the drums though, massive big ups. Haven't heard much ambient dub with lyrics structured in the way you have before. Honestly didn't read the description and thought of faithless straight away, great work.
'Ambiance' (if that makes any sense) is also great, has a wicked vibe.
30-01-2011 14:27
Impact
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3403.jpg

Registration Date: 29-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

ez lee.
tune is quite mellow.. mix sounds spot on pretty much to me thru the monitors. Smile

Vocals are different.. I'd have been tempted to go with more delay perhaps to bolster that dub feel..

dont like the short attack on the 'wind' instruments.

vocal is also quite low in the mix compared to the wind and snare.

__
Quality DNB clothing Cool
Co founder of Instinct Audio
ImpactMastering: Affordable Digital Mastering/Mixing service
30-01-2011 14:38
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Pace and Swift
A very sparse arrangement. Not much going on at all and it gets boring very quickly. This may be the effect you were trying to achieve (sparse, not boring!) but its a little too empty. I really don't like the 'my self proclaimed parasitic renegade' line. Don't forget that for full on lyrics, there has to be an understandable meaning for the listener. You don't want to confuse the person listening. I think the simpler shorter lines are much more effective (through these eyes ... etc). Also, the flute(?) and other wind instrument(s) don't sit right in this tune. I would add a lot more to this tune without taking away the whole 'chill-out' feel of it. All the best, Pace out.

wasn't particularily going for any kind of feel.

it is minimal dub although having said that having around 4-5 different pads playing at same time means not much space left for adding a right lot more.

the vocals aren't supposed to make a great deal of sense as they are mostly based around a structure similar to a poem but all the lines & the bit about the parasitic renegade all have similar meanings behind them.

check out faithless tracks and you'll see a lot of his stuff doesn't always make sense.

or what about mc's for dnb tracks !? - they sprout a right load of nonsense.

----

quote:
Originally posted by entrapt
First thing that came to mind when i played it was way too much bottom end on the tracks kick and snare. Sounds like it could be interfering a bit with your main bit of subbass that comes in at 31seconds as well? Snare sounds a bit 'sharp' for the ambiance of the track. Bit more reverb or even another time stretched snare layered over the top would sound great.
Apart from the drums though, massive big ups. Haven't heard much ambient dub with lyrics structured in the way you have before. Honestly didn't read the description and thought of faithless straight away, great work.
'Ambiance' (if that makes any sense) is also great, has a wicked vibe.

quite possibly - my mix down skills still aren't all that great plus I only have my senny cans to produce with atm.

(also little note - chron's player reduces bitrate down to around 100k or less whereas the soundcloud player or player on my site play at exact bitrate.)

I got a similar comment about the snare on soundcloud - will have a look into that.

& thanks for comments.

-----

quote:
Originally posted by Impact
ez lee.
tune is quite mellow.. mix sounds spot on pretty much to me thru the monitors. Smile

Vocals are different.. I'd have been tempted to go with more delay perhaps to bolster that dub feel..

dont like the short attack on the 'wind' instruments.

vocal is also quite low in the mix compared to the wind and snare.

thanks man, yeah mix sounded about right on my cans in reason & sounded fine when I exported and converted too.

I've lost my wee green cable so I have no means of testing how my tracks sound on any other audio system.

I'll look into the vox & wind instruments Wink

thanks Shakeshark

__

30-01-2011 16:26 Homepage of Sentinel
Pace and Swift
Producer

Registration Date: 20-01-2011

quote:

it is minimal dub although having said that having around 4-5 different pads playing at same time means not much space left for adding a right lot more.

the vocals aren't supposed to make a great deal of sense as they are mostly based around a structure similar to a poem but all the lines & the bit about the parasitic renegade all have similar meanings behind them.

check out faithless tracks and you'll see a lot of his stuff doesn't always make sense.

You're wrong about drum n bass mcs and you're generalising when you say 'they sprout a load of old nonsense'. Don't forget that dnb mcs are not there to give you deep and meaningful lyrics, they're there to hype the crowd up. With regards to tunes with mcs on them, I personally don't feel that they all work well, so if this was your point then I would have to partially agree with you. The difference here though is that these are main vocals for your tune. You say that the vocals aren't supposed to make sense, but having read them, I would have to say that there is a message here, although it is delivered in a confusing way. I would also have to disagree with you about Faithless on two points; 1) If you were to ask him whether his lyrics were a load of nonsense or whether he was trying to communicate some kind of message, I know what he would say. 2) Faithless may be an inspiration for you, but I would advise to develop your own style and not be too focussed on what he has done. Sounding like someone else is generally a bad thing in today's fiercely competitive music industry. Finally you say that as you have 4-5 pads going on, that there is not much room left for anything else. I have to disagree. The tune is full of space at certain frequences. I wish you all the best with improving this tune. Pace out
30-01-2011 18:10 Homepage of Pace and Swift
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Pace and Swift
quote:

You're wrong about drum n bass mcs and you're generalising when you say 'they sprout a load of old nonsense'. Don't forget that dnb mcs are not there to give you deep and meaningful lyrics, they're there to hype the crowd up. With regards to tunes with mcs on them, I personally don't feel that they all work well, so if this was your point then I would have to partially agree with you. The difference here though is that these are main vocals for your tune. You say that the vocals aren't supposed to make sense, but having read them, I would have to say that there is a message here, although it is delivered in a confusing way. I would also have to disagree with you about Faithless on two points; 1) If you were to ask him whether his lyrics were a load of nonsense or whether he was trying to communicate some kind of message, I know what he would say. 2) Faithless may be an inspiration for you, but I would advise to develop your own style and not be too focussed on what he has done. Sounding like someone else is generally a bad thing in today's fiercely competitive music industry. Finally you say that as you have 4-5 pads going on, that there is not much room left for anything else. I have to disagree. The tune is full of space at certain frequences. I wish you all the best with improving this tune. Pace out

I didn't mean all mc's in general but for most part I find them more of an annoyance to the music as a whole, take one of pendulums sets a few years back they had mc spyda or something along those lines on set & he just ruined the whole mix.

I didn't say we was trying to be like faithless - I just fancied trying something different from what I usually make.

I know lyrics in faithless convey a message but are also quite often in poetic riddles.

as for the tune I'm planning on having a look at it later the night & seeing what I can do.

as for my style ...

I tend to listen to a lot of trip-hop/down-tempo & alt dub groups/producers like portishead, lamb, massive attack, scuba, boxcutter, burial etc so most my tracks are influenced by them but I still tend to add my own 2 cents into them (as some of you lot like to say)

Safe.

__

30-01-2011 19:23 Homepage of Sentinel
dLO dLO is a male
dannyLO

images/avatars/avatar-3081.jpg

Registration Date: 29-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.83

for the most part i like this. Love the minimal vibe, melodies, and vocals a lot. Few things I'm not feeling as much are some of the samples used - the snare's a bit deep & the release is noticeably quick. The "flute" sample is a bit unexpected the first time thru the tune. Some work on the mix may help too. esp on adding some stereo. everythings dead center now it seems. Overall, very cool track.

__
follow me here:
http://soundcloud.com/dannylo
31-01-2011 17:48
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by dLO
for the most part i like this. Love the minimal vibe, melodies, and vocals a lot. Few things I'm not feeling as much are some of the samples used - the snare's a bit deep & the release is noticeably quick. The "flute" sample is a bit unexpected the first time thru the tune. Some work on the mix may help too. esp on adding some stereo. everythings dead center now it seems. Overall, very cool track.

thanks man Smile

by some of the samples you're just referring to the snare & the picolla flute !?

I know majority of track is centered atm.

I had a go at reworking the track last night & scrapping 2nd half of tune but I was a touch knackered so will have a go at editing in a few days Wink

what things in the mix need working on !?

__

31-01-2011 22:07 Homepage of Sentinel
dLO dLO is a male
dannyLO

images/avatars/avatar-3081.jpg

Registration Date: 29-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.83

the snare, flute & hats in particular. The hats may be just a matter of the mix tho. They're just kinda missing that high-end sizzle that would balance out the bass for me. might just need some EQ & light compression

as for the mix, i really just meant the stereo again. And also the light compression on the hats. The whole track sounds a bit muffled b/c many elements are filling out the low & mid range w/out enough high-end to balance them out. Just gotta be sure to give everything space in terms of EQ & L/R front/back. On a tune like this, i'd play with automation on reverb for the pad for example. It can give the effect of moving from the background to the foreground. Make sure the kick gives the sub enough space by EQing it. & make sure that the snare & hats pop enough to balance out the kick & sub. I use a spectrum analyzer on the master in general, but its especially important on these more minimal tunes to be sure that you're staying balanced b/t low and high end. anyways, you may know most of this already. Jus my 2 cents. still a cool tune.

__
follow me here:
http://soundcloud.com/dannylo
01-02-2011 04:39
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by dLO
the snare, flute & hats in particular. The hats may be just a matter of the mix tho. They're just kinda missing that high-end sizzle that would balance out the bass for me. might just need some EQ & light compression

as for the mix, i really just meant the stereo again. And also the light compression on the hats. The whole track sounds a bit muffled b/c many elements are filling out the low & mid range w/out enough high-end to balance them out. Just gotta be sure to give everything space in terms of EQ & L/R front/back. On a tune like this, i'd play with automation on reverb for the pad for example. It can give the effect of moving from the background to the foreground. Make sure the kick gives the sub enough space by EQing it. & make sure that the snare & hats pop enough to balance out the kick & sub. I use a spectrum analyzer on the master in general, but its especially important on these more minimal tunes to be sure that you're staying balanced b/t low and high end. anyways, you may know most of this already. Jus my 2 cents. still a cool tune.

thanks for comments - I've started reworking the tune the day ...

gutted out all the 2nd half of the track trying some new melodies with piano, organ, synths etc. - I've changed the snare & worked on eq & levels some more.

I use Reason for producing so I don't have luxury of using spec analyzer in realtime & my stand-alone one won't work when I have asio running.

thanks for advice Wink

__

01-02-2011 22:58 Homepage of Sentinel
tryptech tryptech is a male
Tryptech

Registration Date: 16-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.63

Special, good sounds

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

01-02-2011 23:54 Homepage of tryptech