drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » equalisation
Go to the bottom of this page equalisation
Author

Registration Date: 18-12-2010

Ive been reading lots of posts about equalitation and understand the different aspects of songs cant clash however i dont understand if each part e.g. snare and lead need to have totally there own frequency or can semi clash if that makes sense. so just say if im going to have the 200 to 500k dominant with a snare hit does this mean nothing can enter this range at all or does it mean then just say the lead or pad can also be in this range but should be reduced by a few db so its not as dominant. hope this makes sense
09-01-2011 00:48
Toemusp

so a normal one hit of a snare or kick without equalisation would take up all frequency ranges as would a lead or the bassline. Do i just reduce aspects that arnt important by a bit or cut it all? if a just reduce parts that i dont want to be dominant the would still be frequency clashes however if cut cut the parts i dont want to to be dominant everything would sound horrible? help
09-01-2011 00:54
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

You can have "semi-clashes". Here's a good tutorial about EQing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3rI3wF9d3c

Smile

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
09-01-2011 01:11 Homepage of Puzzle
ksd ksd is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3163.jpg

Registration Date: 27-10-2009

here you have something nice to read: http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-think...ete-eq-tutorial
09-01-2011 01:58
Toemusp

Ok so i think ive worked it out....... lets say you have 120db headway with a frequency (lets just say with the 200k to 500k range) As long as i dont exceed 0db with the competing frequencys e.g. snare, lead, bass are ALL peaking at -40db within that frequency range (200k to 500k), therefore 3 * -40 = -120db. does that mean its ok if there clashing as they all have there own part? Sorry about the weird question
09-01-2011 06:01
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Generally you want to roll off any unnecessary frequencies, such as high passing all non-bass elements to clear the sub and low mid frequencies. You generally have much more headroom with higher frequencies, so it ok to have overlap in these areas.

The best tip is to mix all of your channels at a lower volume, so the master peaks at -8 or -6 db. This will allow you to hear nuances in the sounds and also give you flexibility in your levels if you want to make volume changes. You can mute some of the channels and A-B them, if the frequencies get muddy then you'll need to re-eq some of the elements. This is better than simply adjusting the levels of the elements, because that won't get rid of competing frequencies.

When doing subtractive EQ, it helps to create a large boost and sweep it through the frequencies. When you hit a spot that sounds extra resonant or annoying, that's where you want to cut!

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
09-01-2011 09:38 Homepage of Phalanx
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx

The best tip is to mix all of your channels at a lower volume, so the master peaks at -8 or -6 db. This will allow you to hear nuances in the sounds and also give you flexibility in your levels if you want to make volume changes. !

+1 !!

In a well balanced and clean mix every sound requires its own sonic space and to assure that you use equalisation.
Whether it comes to cutting or boosting, I suggest you always be very subtle. The more you cut the cleaner your final result might be but be careful, there is a fine line between clean and sterile dead sound. Take your time and always check how your eq changes affect the whole mix and if they are really necessary.

Same goes for rolling off. Cutting the lows on sounds that are not supposed to have low frequency content is ok as long as it’s rumble and other artefacts. Radically cutting the lows on a piano sound in order to give the sub more room is not ideal. Be even more subtle here and you get a clean but full sounding bass area.

Another thing to keep in mind is not to mix and eq entirely with your eyes. You shouldn’t care about db and frequency analysers in the first place. Use your ears to get the desired result! I even turn off my lcds from time to time to make sure my eyes won’t fool me (I own a nice midi controller to automate my eq plugin which makes blind eqing very easy).
09-01-2011 12:19 Homepage of Gregg
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by Toemusp
(lets just say with the 200k to 500k range)...

you mean 200-500 hertz or 2-5 k. 200000 hertz is not likely to be eqed Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Gregg: 09-01-2011 12:25.

09-01-2011 12:24 Homepage of Gregg
CH3SH CH3SH is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 22-12-2010

My easiest way to give those drums headroom within your bass leads etc is to generally dip the kick and snare frequencies out of the bass, lead, pad etc
EG dip 100hz by -3db @ 2.5Q for kicks and 180hz by -3db @ 2.5Q for snares
This is called surgical eqing,
Find out more here in this simple tutorial - http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mixing-mastering/3d-mixing-part-3-equal
ization/

Also most people find it good to sidechain your kick with your low-end bass (sub)
This also gives some more headroom which all in all helps to push the mixdown even further =]
Theres my 2p's worth lol

__

10-01-2011 04:22
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » equalisation