drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bad to use more than 1 mixer track ?
Go to the bottom of this page Bad to use more than 1 mixer track ?
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

Hey peeps.

I am starting to get a nice neurofunk bass. I use a lot of tubes and stuff, which increases the output volume. To keep it down, I need to use compression, correct?

Well, I am using multiple mixer tracks, so I can add more FX, but will I need to add a compressor to each track in order to lower the volume?

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

18-11-2010 16:26 Homepage of jeffijoe
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

To keep the levels within range you might want to limit your signal but you could also lower the volume slider if the level is constantly too high.
I'm not joking, don't mix in the red in each channel, just go for -12dB tops in each bass channel and then route them all into one mixerbuss where you do the final compression.

You'd better split the incoming bass sound into LO-MID-HI and put FX on them in the different busses. Then join the result in 1 mixerbuss to do the mixdown of the bass. I documented this in some other recent thread.

Having to go through several mixer channels to be able to add more FX isn't a very good sign. Don't overkill it, you normally won't need more than 3 or 4 FX for each buss (Lo-Mid-Hi) and 3 or 4 on the Bass Master.
Lo: Compression, Lo-pass Filter
Mid: Bandpass filter, distortion (maybe 2 different distortion units), compression
Hi: Hi-pass filter, distortion, reverb, stereo enhancing (or chorus), compression
Master: saturation, Multiband compression, Lo-pass (to cut everything above 3Khz)

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
18-11-2010 16:43 Homepage of BattleDrone
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
To keep the levels within range you might want to limit your signal but you could also lower the volume slider if the level is constantly too high.
I'm not joking, don't mix in the red in each channel, just go for -12dB tops in each bass channel and then route them all into one mixerbuss where you do the final compression.

You'd better split the incoming bass sound into LO-MID-HI and put FX on them in the different busses. Then join the result in 1 mixerbuss to do the mixdown of the bass. I documented this in some other recent thread.

Having to go through several mixer channels to be able to add more FX isn't a very good sign. Don't overkill it, you normally won't need more than 3 or 4 FX for each buss (Lo-Mid-Hi) and 3 or 4 on the Bass Master.
Lo: Compression, Lo-pass Filter
Mid: Bandpass filter, distortion (maybe 2 different distortion units), compression
Hi: Hi-pass filter, distortion, reverb, stereo enhancing (or chorus), compression
Master: saturation, Multiband compression, Lo-pass (to cut everything above 3Khz)

Quick reply. I like that.

How do I route them into one mixer bus? Haven't heard anything about that before.

If I use 3 mixer channels for one uuhm.. "Pattern" channel (?), wont the x-passes overlap each other? Like, if the first channel has a low-pass, wont the high-pass just take the highest frequencies from the result of the low-pass? (Do you know where I am coming from?)

Master, is that the master of the whole tune, or is that the " 1 mixerbus" you were talking about?

Also, what is Multiband-Compression? (Damn I need to learn this stuff. If I had more time to produce, I would actually bother)

Thanks bro, apreciate it.

Edit: Just tested the LO-MID-HI thing. It did what I expected it to. You cant even hear anything from the HI channel, only a bit from the MID one.

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 18-11-2010 16:58.

18-11-2010 16:50 Homepage of jeffijoe
Redux

Registration Date: 18-11-2009

Are you sending the 'low' channel into the 'mid' channel? and etc?

Have you tried having an original channel for the synth and create 3 send channels for it, one for low, one for mids and one for hi. Then send all 3 of these channels into a single channel for final fx or something.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Redux: 18-11-2010 19:50.

18-11-2010 19:50
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by Redux
Are you sending the 'low' channel into the 'mid' channel? and etc?

Have you tried having an original channel for the synth and create 3 send channels for it, one for low, one for mids and one for hi. Then send all 3 of these channels into a single channel for final fx or something.

How to I send all 3 of those channels to 1 single channel? And what I tried, I had one original channel (3xOsc) with the basic sound, then I created 3 mixer tracks, (lo-mid-hi), and applied the different stuff on em, and it did not work.

Right now I am trying to clone my original channel 3 times and make them lo-mid-hi

Edit: I actually got better results with my first try, but the problem was that I couldnt compress it enough.

Someone need to do a video tutorial on this Wink

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 18-11-2010 20:40.

18-11-2010 20:35 Homepage of jeffijoe
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

My bass "splitting - treating - recombining" tutorial is in this thread. Just scroll down a bit.

How to mess with routing of mixerchannels? Check this link

__
18-11-2010 22:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
xSky

quote:
My bass "splitting - treating - recombining" tutorial is in this thread. Just scroll down a bit.

How to mess with routing of mixerchannels? Check this link

Will check that out. Just read your post, nice stuff there mate. But the problem always seems to be the compression part - whenever I compress, it looses most of it's badass'ness. I either use Fruity Compressor, or Waves RComp.

TubeVST is good for warmth, gonna install AmpliTube soon.

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

19-11-2010 11:26 Homepage of jeffijoe
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Compression is not the easiest part of producing, but if you don't limit/compress your stuff it will sound horrible at times. Especially when you start to filter and distort you might generate peaks which are much louder than normal and clip all the way. The bass will take over the whole spectrum and disort your drums and everything.

__
19-11-2010 15:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
xSky

quote:
Compression is not the easiest part of producing, but if you don't limit/compress your stuff it will sound horrible at times. Especially when you start to filter and distort you might generate peaks which are much louder than normal and clip all the way. The bass will take over the whole spectrum and disort your drums and everything.

True that.

Its just annoying that I never get the sound I want >.<

So anyways, will I clone my 3x channels and give them 1 mixerbus each (lo-mid-hi), or what was the trick to use just one 3x, and splitting the bands using the mixer? Because as I said, when I tried that, they just overlapped each other..

Edit: I checked the Mixer vids too, dont really find anything about routing more channels to 1 single channel, or I must be reaal slow Tongue

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 19-11-2010 17:54.

19-11-2010 17:50 Homepage of jeffijoe
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

You don't clone your sound source (in this case your 3xOsc) you just route it to channel 1 and route channel 1 into 2, 3 and 4 and not to the master.
Then set 2,3 and 4 to Lo mid and hi and route them all into 5 and not to the master.
Compress and saturate in 5 and set a low pass at 3 KHz or something (to taste). 5 will go to the master.

It doesn't matter that 2, 3 and 4 slightly overlap.
Channel 2: Lo pass at 200
Channel 3: Hi pass at 200 and lo pass at 1Khz
Channel 4: Hi pass at 1Khz
These numbers are not carved in stone, change to taste and as needed.
Don't use steep EQ settings because it will fuck up the sound, let the curves go gently down.

Check the default settings in the FL studio multiband compressor, you can see Lo-Mid-Hi splitting there too and you can see that the frequencies overlap a bit as well.

Now don't come and tell me "But I routed the bass to channel 13 as my kick drum is in channel 1 Crying " because I'll kick your virtual but when you do that Big Grin

__
19-11-2010 20:48 Homepage of BattleDrone
xSky

quote:
You don't clone your sound source (in this case your 3xOsc) you just route it to channel 1 and route channel 1 into 2, 3 and 4 and not to the master.
Then set 2,3 and 4 to Lo mid and hi and route them all into 5 and not to the master.
Compress and saturate in 5 and set a low pass at 3 KHz or something (to taste). 5 will go to the master.

It doesn't matter that 2, 3 and 4 slightly overlap.
Channel 2: Lo pass at 200
Channel 3: Hi pass at 200 and lo pass at 1Khz
Channel 4: Hi pass at 1Khz
These numbers are not carved in stone, change to taste and as needed.
Don't use steep EQ settings because it will fuck up the sound, let the curves go gently down.

Check the default settings in the FL studio multiband compressor, you can see Lo-Mid-Hi splitting there too and you can see that the frequencies overlap a bit as well.

Now don't come and tell me "But I routed the bass to channel 13 as my kick drum is in channel 1 Crying " because I'll kick your virtual but when you do that Big Grin

Please don't use military boots.

What I mean with overlapping, is that I (completely not on purpose) use a HP on an already BP'ed sound, and the BP on an already LP'ed sound...

Got AIM mate?

EDIT: Okay, so I assigned a free mixer track for my sound source. I then routed the newly assigned track into 3 other ones. I then add the filters to the 3 new tracks, but the sound is not changing. I attached a photo of my mixer.

as I said, the sound is not changing. If I remove the route from the Main 3x channel to the master, no sound is coming out.

Also, where do I see the amount of Hz when I am tweaking the filter knob? ^__^

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 19-11-2010 22:21.

19-11-2010 21:58 Homepage of jeffijoe
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Channel 5 should NOT go to the master, it's just used to split up the sound.
Why don't you send over the project and I'll have a closer look at it.

PM me.

__
21-11-2010 14:50 Homepage of BattleDrone
xSky

quote:
Channel 5 should NOT go to the master, it's just used to split up the sound.
Why don't you send over the project and I'll have a closer look at it.

PM me.

Pmed.

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

21-11-2010 19:35 Homepage of jeffijoe
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Bad to use more than 1 mixer track ?