drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » for the PC EXPERTS. help..
Go to the bottom of this page for the PC EXPERTS. help..
Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

hey there!
my previous PC stopped working a few months ago. I was using it, and suddenly a blue screen came up and it shut down instantly. After that, it would continuously do that when I powered it up.
Recently I got a new PC, so I had a go at plugging the old hard-drive into the slave part of the, er, cable. I had a look inside at the files when my (new) PC booted up, but.... my Reason files and exported music files, and patches etc. weren't there... anyone able to help me? This hard-drive has got stuff from when I began using Reason, there are things that I just don't want to lose... jesus, sometimes I think I should have become a vicar instead; less stuff to worry about anyway haha.

__
CtMc Cool
28-10-2010 21:02
Ben Kama
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

I think that your HD was the reason why the whole machine failed. You could've just bought a new one instead of getting an all new pc. Maybe.

I also think that this will educate you to do backups of your work. I know the same happened to me and now I regularly backup my stuff.

__
benkama.com

29-10-2010 18:28 Homepage of Ben Kama
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

theres also been blue screen death after windows xp service pack 3 installs.
my net pc has just gone through such a head ache,
but thats to impacks advice abvout safe mode n standalone sp3 installer
things are looking good again Smile

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
29-10-2010 19:29
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I agree with Ben Kama.

Your HD probably got messed up physically and your data got messed up.

Give it another try and make sure to search correctly through the filesystem though.
I've seen moderate PC users who stored their data in some weird folder they couldn't find using Windows explorer. But as the program they used to make their data (e.g. Word, Excel,...) always suggested this folder they would just store in there and open the documents from there as well. I hope that was somewhat clear what I wrote there. Big Grin

So I would scan the whole HD for .rsn files or whatever comes close to the data you want to get back.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-10-2010 19:32 Homepage of BattleDrone
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

thanks for the replies!!!
but a MIRACLE happened this morning. As one last try, I plugged my old hard-drive into my old PC and it.... LOADED UP WITH ALL MY DOCUMENTS AND FILES AND SHIZZ STILL THERE!!! jesus.
anyway, I'm gonna save up to get a few USBs; one for tunes, another for drum machines, another for patches... etcetera.

__
CtMc Cool
01-11-2010 17:23
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ciaran
thanks for the replies!!!
but a MIRACLE happened this morning. As one last try, I plugged my old hard-drive into my old PC and it.... LOADED UP WITH ALL MY DOCUMENTS AND FILES AND SHIZZ STILL THERE!!! jesus.
anyway, I'm gonna save up to get a few USBs; one for tunes, another for drum machines, another for patches... etcetera.

I actually have an external HD (1TB) which I back-up all my software projects, photoshop designs, and music stuff on, once every 3 months or so. Would be much cheaper I believe, you can store lotsa data on those beasts. Shakeshark

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 10-11-2010 17:30.

10-11-2010 17:30 Homepage of jeffijoe
CH3SH CH3SH is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 22-12-2010

I too have an external HDD 500gb
On it i have around 200gb of samples,
50gb of software and the regular music, movies etc..
Youd be better off buying yourself an external
You can easily pick up a 1 terrabyte for £50-60
Barg Wink

__

10-01-2011 06:20
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » for the PC EXPERTS. help..