drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » anyone else got the freezing problem?
Go to the bottom of this page anyone else got the freezing problem?
Author
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

been working in fl 9 lately and have noticed a pattern of random freezing. never in the years i've used fl studio since version 4 have i had this problem. i usually notice it when i paint in the playlist while the track is playing at the same time. it just happens at random times though, so i can't tell what's happening when it does. but i can tell you it never has done it when the track was stopped, only when it's playing. when it freezes, it goes into this looping cycle where it stutters and i have to kill it through the task manager. i've also noticed it hanging more frequently when going from a project to another one. like say i have a file open that im working on, and i want to go back to another one i was working on the other day, if i drop down the file menu and click the file name, it hangs up and i have to kill it. most of the time i just exit fl studio then open it again, then open the file i want, before i try and do it through the file menu. then it wont hang. but iwanted to see if it's maybe just my system or others have experienced this. i know i should just go through the image-line forums but if others here have the same problem, then we could just figure it out and save some time possibly.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
22-10-2010 21:20
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I have some other issues with FL9, but not freezing.
I am still using v7 as I think it is the best version, the later versions seem like overkill and some changes that were introduced after 7 are not changes for the better.

You could have an audio driver problem there, are you using ASIO drivers?
If not, get on to them, it's better. You might want to go to your audio settings and increase the buffer length and switch on "safe overloads".

If you are a *cough* registered user *cough* you could check out their forum to see if someone else had this problem and see what they suggest to solve it.
If you are the unlucky first to encounter the problem you could post it in the forum.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-10-2010 23:08 Homepage of BattleDrone
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks for getting back BD. i'm thinking i'm gonna try and step things back a bit to another version for a while and test it out.

as far as the audio driver problems, i'm not 100% sure it isn't the problem. I am using ASIO drivers on an m-audio card. i've tried setting my buffer length at different settings and none seem to work any better than the next. i've switched on and off safe overloads as well. no luck there either.

it's just aggravating as hell, getting in a serious flow then all the sudden shit just comes to a dead halt and then i lost the progress from the last time i saved.

it's to the point where i find myself quickly saving every few minutes if that just to make sure i don't have a random hit and lose stuff that i worked hard for.

and the even more weird thing is, when i first installed FL 9, up in the top there was a message that popped up briefly saying, "please be sure to save often!". i never seen that in any version of FL. and i only saw it the one time when i first installed it. almost like the developers new it was gonna be buggy as hell.

but thanks for trying to help man. i'll jump back a few versions here in the next few days just to try it out. FL 9 don't seem to be anything magical, for me at least. i think the last version i used religiously was 6, and that was solid as a rock.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
23-10-2010 04:47
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I have some other issues with FL9, but not freezing.
I am still using v7 as I think it is the best version, the later versions seem like overkill and some changes that were introduced after 7 are not changes for the better.

You could have an audio driver problem there, are you using ASIO drivers?
If not, get on to them, it's better. You might want to go to your audio settings and increase the buffer length and switch on "safe overloads".

If you are a *cough* registered user *cough* you could check out their forum to see if someone else had this problem and see what they suggest to solve it.
If you are the unlucky first to encounter the problem you could post it in the forum.

hey man, i gotta hand it to ya. you saved me a lot of headache giving me the idea of jumping back. took it back to FL 7 and it's working absolutely flawlessly. i tried and tried to recreate the same problem in FL 7 i had in 9 and couldn't even make it stutter or hang. it feels really weird going back to 7. feels more straightforward and less cluttered. like only what i need to get the job done without all the extra additives. must be something specific to version 9 as far as i'm concerned. i even notice di was getting quite a few underruns in version 9 and not even 1 in 7. hmmmm.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
23-10-2010 17:09
cjstyles
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 06-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I used to have this problem on FL 6 - 8 a lot so my work around was - save all the time. It crashed almost 100% of the time when I was copying Automation patterns.

When I upgraded my PC I also upgraded to FL9 and the problem has mostly gone away now (although I did still hold my breath when copying automation patterns).

FL9 does seem a lot more stable but there could be several reason why it crashes a whole lot less
- plugins are more compatible with it?
- I've also had a brand new audio card in the new PC so the drivers for that might might be more up to date?

God only knows

__
NexGen / Plush / Liquid Brilliants / LDNBmusic / Ambra

Paul SG - Hidden Smile (CJ Styles Remix) forthcoming Ambra

24-10-2010 13:27
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

well it's definitely pretty stable as far as everything else goes. it was just related to the playlist. i like to paint in patterns sometimes when the track is playing so i can keep things moving, but it would just dead lock on me when either opening new projects or painting in the playlist. i go back to version 7 and i haven't had a hiccup yet. i've even tried the most recent version of 9 and it was still the same crap. prolly something with my system. who the hell knows.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
24-10-2010 20:00
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I have no ill will towards FL 9. What's the matter of fact, I love it, and I love the decisions IL is taking with it. There are few bugs and things that are not done well, but they are, well, few.

After working with clips for some time now, and seeing the new changes in FL 9,6 beta (like, locking a lane to a separate clip and locking its' size so it resembles the old blocks), I really stopped using blocks. And I became much more efficient with clips, so blocks don't affect me anymore. IMO, they can go.

P.S. about the stability - it works reasonably well. I almost never have it crash on me. It almost always freezes and crashes when closing the program (version 9,0) but it doesn't corrupt any files/projects whatsoever so nothing to complain there. A minor nuisance.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
24-10-2010 20:02 Homepage of Muad'Dib
|da jungle snipa|

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah muad, it's not that bad. it was just hard for me to really dig into version 9 when the damn thing is constantly locking up on me. i sure wish i could figure out why it does that. and like i said, in all the days of using FL, i have to say i've never encountered anything like this, which is what disappoints me the most. prolly just one of them things that i could spend forever on trying to figure out. but thanks for the input guys. maybe i'll just stick with 7 until i can get it sorted.

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
25-10-2010 01:08
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » anyone else got the freezing problem?