drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Need help with basslines...
Go to the bottom of this page Need help with basslines...
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-422.jpg

Registration Date: 23-06-2004

Does anybody know how to make a real fat bass or sub without mess it up? Something like "Corrupt Soulls" int their theme "Seppuku"?
I use vsti analog synths for making basslines (FM7, Industry23, Oddity, Discovery etc.), but when I lower it down for an octave or two it becames mmm... like unsmoothed and low quality. Mad

__
Digital eye is watching you.
03-07-2004 22:39
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

instead of lowering the octave, try duplicating the bass track and throwing a low-pass filter on one of em and eq it to get some booming subs....

__

03-07-2004 23:08
T.roll T.roll is a male
Cool Producer

Thanxa lot! Cool
I'll try that tomorrow. Pleased Neighbours don't like booming subs Big Grin

__
03-07-2004 23:18
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Jungelist VSTi gives a nice and warm sub, no?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

04-07-2004 12:38 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Ideal sub bass is just a simple low sine wave.

Duplicating the bass and putting a lo pass on it is not a good idea imo, then you can just as well boost the low end on the original bass. Will be less muddy sounding.

Try to find someone with a real analog synth and sample that! Real analog synths sound great in the low end. Try to find something like a Juno60, a Moog or an MS20.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
04-07-2004 14:17 Homepage of thechronic
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

well, start off with something that contains at least a low end. If you transpose a sound that is constructed at higher frequenties, all the frequenty related stuff gets pitched down (amount detuned e.g.), something with higher reecyness or something will start sounding like growless... don't know if any of this makes sence (or is even correct) Smile

but anyway: z3ta+, preset called 'just more quality' is the best sub i ever heared from a softsynth, i'd post a soundclip, but got no webspace Confused

or if you wanna low-pass, take a reece or whatever that contains these low frequenties.
or synthesis in e.g. soundforge: simple synthesis of 55Hz

hope this helps
04-07-2004 14:50 Homepage of wicked_wayz
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

found some space: short loop of z3ta+ sub-bass, will not be up for long, cause otherwise I can't recieve any mails Big Grin

altered it a bit...also not mono, and a sub has to be mono if you ever want to cut a record with it

but it's deep... Tongue
04-07-2004 15:11 Homepage of wicked_wayz
Akura Akura is a male
Kletsenboem-style

images/avatars/avatar-291.gif

Registration Date: 06-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

Don't forget the amplifier and boxes you work with also have a great impact! Make sure what you hear is what you made with you synthesizer.
04-07-2004 20:53
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

if you have sound forge you can make some nice subs...go to tools, then choose synthesis...you generate any frequency you need (all the way down to 20hz!!!)...don't know why i forgot to mention this earlier...

__

04-07-2004 21:50
T.roll T.roll is a male
Cool Producer

Tryed to put two basslines together with a low pass filter.
Maybe I just do something wrong, but that didn't do the trick. It's better to use a bass boost effect in FL. This method could be used to make some variations in basses, for example if you play two bassnotes at the same time, one is hi passed and the other is lowpased and amplifyed with an attak and offset. This could bring some interesting sound.
I completely forgot about FM and simple synthesis in Sound Forge My Mistake This could help a lot with getting a real deep sub, but I prefer to use vsti, 'cause they are more variable.
So finding or bying some analog hardware synth will be the best. How much does it cost, anybody knows?
2Surya: Thanx for reminding me about Jungelist. Didn't put a lot of attention to this one (mistake)

__
04-07-2004 22:55
T.roll T.roll is a male
Cool Producer

Run out of character limit in previous one.
Just wanted to say: Thanx everybody for advices!!!
Very usefull! Bigup

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by T.roll: 04-07-2004 23:04.

04-07-2004 23:02
AcidMonkey AcidMonkey is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-358.jpg

Registration Date: 01-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

Hi,

I have some analogue synths (Roland MC202, Freebass - 303 clone, Roland Alpha Juno [digitally controlled analogue - check for my hoover sample links ] and a SID station [ok that's not analogue, Commadore 64 sound chip with analogue filter in a box]

I'll make some samples for you tonight and upload tomorrow.

Analogue synths can cost anything from £100 to a couple of thousand - depending on what you want (i.e. how desirable they are, rarity, etc.) I generally pick mine up second hand in music shops or pawn shops - that way you can get to play with them, check they make the sounds you want (and are still working) before you part with your hard earnt.

I once played with a Roland SH-09 which was lovely for really deep bass sounds, not very expensive but I didn't have the cash at the time! Frown

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by AcidMonkey: 02-09-2004 17:40.

02-09-2004 17:34
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh another word or two on analogue synths...

1) They can be tempremental - some (I believe Moogs) have to be switched on and left to warm up for 5 minutes before being tuned!

2) Depending on the year of production they could be pre-MIDI, which can be a pain. I think MIDI came in around 1986. The best ones in my opinion are ones containing whats called DCOs (Digitally Controlled Oscillators) although to me they don't sound as fat as VCOs (Voltage Controlled Oscillators). If you get a pre-MIDI synth you'll need what's called a MIDI to CV (Control Voltage) converter so your computer can play it or have it retrofitted, these can be expensive options.

Also early MIDI synths might only support basic MIDI functions - i.e. note on/off (an old Roland JX3P I owned springs to mind). Some though (Roland Alpha Juno's, Juno 106, etc.) allow you to use the volume of the notes to control the filter or envelope depth - which means you can program filter sweeps rather than having to slide knobs every time!) The Alpha Juno is also a pain to program sounds in as it doesn't have knobs/sliders.

There are still some analogue or clone stuff being made today which you could pick up. Also checkout http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~concuss/ for new analogues (pricey) and retrofits. I want their blue light modification for my TR606 drum kit plus the expander box to edit the sounds realtime (although I wouldn't be able to record/playback edits over MIDI).
02-09-2004 17:56
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

Hi I stuck some 202 bass samples on ftp://heavyweightsoundz.com/

You might need to register on the site to get into their basket folder (ftp site).

Have fun
03-09-2004 11:14
Qbit Qbit is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-159.gif

Registration Date: 14-11-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Ideal sub bass is just a simple low sine wave.

Duplicating the bass and putting a lo pass on it is not a good idea imo, then you can just as well boost the low end on the original bass. Will be less muddy sounding.

Try to find someone with a real analog synth and sample that! Real analog synths sound great in the low end. Try to find something like a Juno60, a Moog or an MS20.

second, duplicating is defo not a good idea imo.
synths lik V-station, Moog modular or Mercury 1 will do the trick. You can mix several sine-oscilators tho. Never forget to set the cutoff to about 35%. The lower the cutoff, the lower the sub.

__

Drop On Request
03-09-2004 12:04 Homepage of Qbit
saphir saphir is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-185.gif

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

was duplicating bass sounds not only used for chorus like or deep wobble basses?

enfin, i sometimes duplicate a bass sound, one for the specific bass tone, and one to shape the color.

note that the moog plugin is on hold. (no mor updated, bugfixes)
vanguard does the same and more

Bigup

__
http://soundcloud.com/saphir_gazmazk

www.nitras.be
03-09-2004 15:36 Homepage of saphir
tech life tech life is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

Low Pass filter on your lead patch turn it down low.
Antares Tube bussed to another channel.(warm it up)
Little duc filter hp bussed to another channel.(Provides some grit)
Try layering with 808 sub to can't miss.

04-09-2004 22:28 Homepage of tech life
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Need help with basslines...