Author
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Can do mixing there too for about 400 euro per track (10 hours work, so it will be more if you're having over 100 channels on each track like the last band I did Shocked )

That must have the been Helmut Lotti Orchestra Tribute to Pink Floyd-bootleg sessions, then?

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
27-08-2004 16:17 Homepage of Soi
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

No it was a psytrance band Big Grin
You know... layers on layers on layers on layers, a thousand variations and hundreds of tiny effects Big Grin

www.lani.be

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
27-08-2004 17:36 Homepage of thechronic
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Horror!!

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
27-08-2004 17:42 Homepage of Soi
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

ROFL

Yeah I know lots of dnb heads can't stand this type of music Big Grin

No it was actually a lot of fun doing this project, I did the whole album in 4 days + 1 day of mastering, which was kinda hectic, after all the tracks were recorded on tape and protools I had like 3 hours left to get between 80-108 tracks mixed down (compressing, EQing, stereo positioning, effects, ...) and then had to make all fader level adjustments live according to a cue sheet while recording the 2track mixdown. didn't have enough time to get to know the desk automation so had to do everything by hand, np goes just as well, but if you forget something you have to record it all over again...

cue sheet excerpt:
quote:
0:35 fade out lead line #3 -15dB (slowly!!)
0:40 mute delay sends 1&2 for 4 bars
0:58 bass back to 0dB before it restarts

The goal was to make the music sound dense, powerful and in-your-face which worked really well using stuff like focusrite, tubetech and avalon compressors Big Grin

I constantly had to keep the guys from turning up the volume on the big speakers. Obviously they wanted to hear it pump, but I had to keep it down to minimise hearing fatigue during 12-hour mix sessions Big Grin

Listening back to it I hear lots of mistakes in the mix (usually tiny sound effects which kinda escaped my attention while I was rushing through the mixes, or tailoffs which have the bass pumped up during mastering) but I received lots of good responses from people who heard it, and nobody complained Tongue

I mixed them live at the danceadelic festival a couple of weeks ago, that was fun too, especially since the mixing desk was on stage, so I was right there in the middle of the action, that's got me a rush I won't forget for a long time, seeing a whole festival tent freaking out and screaming right in front of me Big Grin Yihaa Rinse

BTW I noticed that the lani boys have put soundclips of every track on their site, so if anyone wants to get revenge on my harsh reviews, you have your chance to rant on my mixing skills now Big Grin

www.lani.be > click on discography

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
27-08-2004 18:28 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Well, might be the genre offcourse, but it seems to me like there isn't too much bass... or are my ears spoiled with bass? Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-08-2004 18:56 Homepage of Surya
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Good Big Grin Too much is too much Big Grin

__
27-08-2004 19:29 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Offcourse, but it sounded more to me like "more wouldn't hurt" Wink

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-08-2004 19:44 Homepage of Surya
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah I guessed so Wink

Imo it's got plenty of bass, it's typical for the genre not to have much happening in the low end, you normally have this fast 16/16 bass line going, but the kick has no low end, only low mids and a hefty snap around 4-6k. Don't know why it's like that, must have something to do with the listening experience under LSD Big Grin

__
28-08-2004 01:47 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Lol Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-08-2004 10:27 Homepage of Surya