drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Sfx EQ???
Go to the bottom of this page Sfx EQ???
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 30-09-2010

Can't get my SFX to sit in the mix proply . Any EQ tips on how I shud go about it wud be spot on
02-10-2010 15:30
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

What kind of effects do you mean?

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
03-10-2010 13:24 Homepage of Puzzle
Howzy88 Howzy88 is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 30-09-2010

Wav FX to add movement to my mix. Jst need to know how I should eq them as in are they mid range or do they sit higher up? Cheerz for takein the time to get back to me m8 nuff respect
03-10-2010 15:45
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Well, fx can be pretty much any sound and therefore there is no typical frequency range they occur. swoosh and crash alike sounds are usually in the highs but other sweeps, bleeps and hits can be anywhere.
Actually it doesn’t matter. It depends on your mix, what elements there are already in that you chose to be most dominant and how you like your fx to support them.

First you should do careful levelling. It should do the trick for most swoosh and crashes that are not prominent in the mids. I usually use my fx to enrich the mix and, as you said, add movement. A fairly low level is often enough to get the listener to subconsciously enjoy that fullness and movement.
If the levelling is precisely adjusted but you hear frequencies clashing or elements being drowned you need to eq (if not don’t). Find out where the issue is and solo the required sounds. Cut interfering stuff but be subtle. You want a clean but rich sound, not lifeless and sterile.
If your mix is pretty mono you can use your fx to create some stereo, after levelling and eq of course. Use stereo delays or verb for that purpose, or simply pan stuff (but stay balanced!) . Stereo imaging plugins are also good to control the width afterwards. Watch out for phase issues if you create width with them though.
Sidechaining the fx to get them attack only at places where there is space in the timeline is also a good trick.

I know this is pretty basic but your question is too general. Hope it helped anyways, if not feel free to ask again.
03-10-2010 18:41 Homepage of Gregg
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Sfx EQ???