drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Need some Advice
Go to the bottom of this page Need some Advice
Author

Registration Date: 03-04-2010

Well I Honestly took a 2 Month Break from Digital DJ w/ Virtual DJ

and I miss doing it...

but I Met this Trance DJ kid from my class and he DJ's with Vinyls
and one day (Well Today) I got to mess around with his Turntables...

Its really different from just using my RMX Mixer that I got... especially since mine only has these small Jog Wheels and not these 12" Records that his turntable has...

and I actually had a lot more fun using Vinyls than my regular old RMX Mixer...

So I'm planning to start DJing with Vinyls (But just to mess around for the start, I don't got the $$$ to spend a good $12 on a single vinyl yet)

I got the new Mixer I'm planning to buy... (I read it from some topic around here)
- Allen&Heat Xone 22

But I'm trying to find a small Budget but good Turntables that will not wear out vinyls so much...

I studied about Turntables and I chose to get a Direct-Drive Motor instead of a Belt-Drive
also a "S" Curved bar for the Needle, instead of it being straight...

My Budget is around $200-$300 because I'm trying to get a pair of two...
I had my eyes on a Stanton T-92 but I want to ask some advice from people who has been around Vinyls

I'm just looking for a "starter kit"

Can anyone help me out?
21-09-2010 07:20
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

We just lost another soul in the style of apple neo-fans.

You should buy Serato.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
21-09-2010 16:13 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

If you hurry you can buy a couple of vinyl releases before they stop making them...

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
21-09-2010 20:20 Homepage of BattleDrone
Twiggmister

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
We just lost another soul in the style of apple neo-fans.

You should buy Serato.

The thing is I'm trying to play music without a my computer... or a CD Player...

and I really enjoyed how Vinyl works, I wouldn't mind not having it as my tool of trade and stick to what I originally got, but just making it as a hobby will be fine.

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
If you hurry you can buy a couple of vinyl releases before they stop making them...

Yeah... that's very true...
maybe I'll start buying Vinyls first before getting a turntable...
get myself a good collection and then buy a pair of turntables
22-09-2010 01:45
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Why not take the best of two worlds with timecoded vinyls?
Basically it's using vinyls as midi-controller for DJ apps on your pc.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
22-09-2010 11:00 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
cjstyles
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 06-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone

Lol

Vinyl ftw

__
NexGen / Plush / Liquid Brilliants / LDNBmusic / Ambra

Paul SG - Hidden Smile (CJ Styles Remix) forthcoming Ambra

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cjstyles: 23-09-2010 21:33.

23-09-2010 21:33
Twiggmister

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Liquids
Why not take the best of two worlds with timecoded vinyls?
Basically it's using vinyls as midi-controller for DJ apps on your pc.

Yeah I seen those before... looks really cool...
now that I think about them even more.. they seems like something I should get as well.
26-09-2010 05:50
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

go on eBay, you'll be able to get a pair of Technics for that price. eBay is also GREAT for getting vinyls; most of mine have been bought at much less than their actual value. I've saved at least £50 to £100 using it, plus you get to find rare stuff.
As to damaging the vinyl grooves; this is all about the stylus - not the tt (turntable). You have a counterweight on the back of the tonearm which adjusts how much the stylus will press down into the grooves. Setting the tonearm so that the stylus presses gently will be beneficial, however it provides worse tracking - meaning that if there are any skips etcetera on your vinyl, then the stylus will be affected by them. I'd guess that sound quality gets a very little bit worse as the stylus presses down less.
If the tonearm is set so that the stylus presses down heavily, then this will provide excellent tracking and will likely mean that skips won't occur. This is suitable for 'scratching' - just listen to DJ Hype for 'scratching'. However, the grooves AND stylus will wear out faster. The stylus is made out of diamond, so it's pretty tough, but you'll need to replace it every few months or even every year.
Anyway, vinyl tt's have a really hands-on feel; something that I feel CDJs can't replicate. You can just pop a vinyl on the platter/slipmat, choose the section by looking at the grooves, maybe scratch it a little ... whatever you please!

__
CtMc Cool
02-11-2010 22:47
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

oh and, if you don't get Technics (SL1200/SL1210s), look for some DIRECT-drive tt's. I unfortunately have belt -driven tt's. They're inexpensive, but provide a poor torque in comparison to what Technics could provide. Basically, if I start the platter to get the record spinning, it takes a moment too long to reach its set speed - meaning that when I mix a new tune into another, the mixed-in tune will not match up instantly without a push, even when I've 'dropped' it in at the right moment. Well annoying, 'cuz when you're recording a mix CD...

__
CtMc Cool
02-11-2010 22:51
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Need some Advice