drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Yardsale: Advice on what to buy
Go to the bottom of this page Yardsale: Advice on what to buy
Author
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Hello lads,

as you all know or should know, there's a yardsale until the 31st of August at imageline. You can get all plugins at $49, and this is also taken into account when upgrading to for example the signature bundle.

Now this is the situation; I have the producer edition + Harmless already.
I really want Maximus, which is a really nice plugin (multiband detailed compressor) for only $49 now. Since I already have the producer edition, I could also upgrade to signature bundle for $93.10 now.

This would give me Maximus, Sytrus, Directwave, Videoplayer, Hardcore & Soundfont player.

Well, besides Sytrus I am not really interested in that.

Would you guys also add Sytrus to my purchase? I've never found Sytrus to be the ultimate FM plugin and FM8 seems to work much better for me, but it's much more expensive of course.

Any advice?
Cheers

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
27-08-2010 15:40 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Hmm, I'd buy Sytrus, it's a nice synth. The other things there are useless from my point of view, also, except maybe, Maximus.

But it pays off if only for those two, so I'd say - go ahead. I was thinking about the same thing, to be honest, but I guess I'll pass this one.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
27-08-2010 18:58 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

I didn't pass - I bought the Signature Edition. Huhu. Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
17-09-2010 21:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

Helpfulness rating: 

I went for just maximus, and glad I went for that one! Very nice plugin!

__
18-09-2010 14:32 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Liquids
I went for just maximus, and glad I went for that one! Very nice plugin!

Yeah, it's pretty nice. Works flawlessly. I just need multiband harmonic exciter built right into Maximus, and I would use it over Izotope Ozone for mastering and mixing sessions.

__

-Bene Gesserit
18-09-2010 21:48 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

Helpfulness rating: 

Izotope ozone is clearly in another league than maximus, but as for multiband compression, maximus is much more visual and easy to understand than most compressors I've seen so far!

Hmm Harmonic Exciter, I'll try one out; haven't used one so far (or I did, but stopped doing so)

Edit: Oh I did in fact, but with only two knobs to turn I found it quite hard to know what I was doing Big Grin Any advice on how to use such an exciter? I use the freeware "X-cita"

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Crispy Liquids: 19-09-2010 12:35.

19-09-2010 12:12 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Believe me, Maximus is not so far from Ozone! Ozone is a bit better, but not really distinguishable. And yet, it is so visual and intiuitive...

Anyway, harmonic exciter: adding warm distortions to a signal. If the plugin is done well (like the Antares Tube or the one supplied with Ozone), it will detect note fundamentals and either enhance the existing harmonics of that fundamental sound, or create new one, resulting in a fuller sound (fills more of the spectrum).

Usually used for high frequencies and modeled with some certain instrument cabinet characteristics (guitar and bass amps etc.), which might have special formant frequencies which add specific freq. distortion to the sound (as no hardware is perfect in translating sound while amplifying, EQ or whatever change to sound, unlike digital signal processing which is pure mathematics). Some cabinets warm up the sound and their digital models are used to warm up sound of basses and even whole songs.

The difference between a harmonic exciter and a regular (digital) distortion unit is that the first one aims to excite the harmonics (or create new ones by a square multiplication of the fundamental frequency) alongside with added specific subtle distortion (depends on the modeled cabinet); and the second one excites everything, even non-fundamental frequencies, giving that cold digital distortion sound which, if overdone, is very noisy and with flare (high freq exciting).

Here is a further read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exciter_(effect)

Hope this helps Bigup

__

-Bene Gesserit
19-09-2010 16:30 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I mostly use Maximus to set up the stereo field for the final mix.
You can easily set the separation for each band which adds to the overall feel of the track.
For compression I only use Waves L3 multimaximiser these days.
The worst thing to do to a mixdown is picking a preset from Ozone, it's like playing the lottery.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-09-2010 13:36 Homepage of BattleDrone
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
The worst thing to do to a mixdown is picking a preset from Ozone, it's like playing the lottery.

Hey, if it sounds good, it's good, innit? Big Grin Although most of the times it is not. But I start fresh, too.

__

-Bene Gesserit
20-09-2010 14:46 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Yardsale: Advice on what to buy