drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » FL Studio export to mp3 destroys the snare
Go to the bottom of this page FL Studio export to mp3 destroys the snare
Author

Registration Date: 22-07-2010

Hey.

Ive just made my first drum n bass song and wanted to export it.

When i played the MP3 file something i did not make in FL Studio happened. The snare and some other instruments volume sometimes was lower than other times and it does not sound good. I have tried many different export settings but still the snare gets ruined.
23-07-2010 19:53
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

You song is probably clipping; FL Studio uses 32-bit float, therefor inside FL Studio your song cannot clip. See it this way, if your volume would've gone over 0dB in any non-floating point file type, a floating-point type just moves the 0dB along with your highest peak. So your highest peak would count as the 0dB point.

Anyway, you can fix it by adding an EQ2 to your master, post all effects but pre-limiter/compressor. In that EQ2 you do nothing with the bands, but the main volume slider you lower until your volume peaks well below 0dB.
Then you can use a limiter or compressor to restore the lost volume, since both a compressor and limiter are in fact "dynamic volume sliders", you can give some gain to the song while cutting the peaks off.

The EQ2 thing is handy if it's already too late, but next time you make a song you want to do your mixing in such a way that on the master track, without any effects, the volume stays well below 0dB. This is the ideal situation.

Which version of FL are you using?

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Crispy Liquids: 26-07-2010 09:24.

26-07-2010 09:23 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
SteakJohnson SteakJohnson is a male
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

thanks crispy, this cleared stuff up for me too

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

28-07-2010 18:38
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

It sounds to me like it could be a muddy mix and that the snare just needs some space cleared, it's impossible to say without listening though.
28-07-2010 19:16
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Obviously things are wrong at mixingtime.
Don't have any of your mixer channels go constantly to the ceiling.
(like it says on the FL studio bible: look behind you on the wall, if you see a constant red glow from your mixer you're doing it wrong).

I mix all my channels at -10db and then compress them on the master to avoid this kind of mess.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-07-2010 13:50 Homepage of BattleDrone
another 15 year old...

Helpfulness rating: 

say I throw a soundgoodizer on the master (i know it will sound terrible but) can I just drive any of the mixer channels leading to the master without the track clipping? or does the soundgoodizer/maximus stop clipping....

Bcuz whenever i export to mp3, the volume starts out loud, but then totally dips when it gets to the heavy drum/percussion parts, when it should be getting louder

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

30-07-2010 06:21
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

The soundgoodizer is basically 4 presets to showcase the abilities of Maximus; so an important part of what it does is compressing & limiting.

To check out and see for yourself why soundgoodizer won't fix your mixing problems, disable your soundgoodizer and replace it with a maximus, the presets a, b,c and d represent the presets in soundgoodizer.
Now send a basic amen to that channel, and give him a way too big boost with EQ2 or whatever effect plugin you like.

As you will see, does some compressing here and there, but an important part is limiting too; the result is maximus will be compressing with a certain threshold based on a normal input signal. But since your input signal is off the shelf (in certain parts!), it will give a result that will sound like you compressed a normal signal peaking slightly under 0dB with a -40dB threshold or something. Ugly, in other words ;-)

The problem you have is probably caused by not properly equalizing your mix; there's some guides on the forums here but basically you need to give every instrument its place in the mix and mostly do this by cutting and not boosting. Cutting will not push your volume up, obviously, but more importantly you won't be pushing some frequencies on track 1, and then come to track 4 and find that you should push those frequencies too there, making track 1 sound too quiet, etc

Also if you're always cutting and lowering volumes, the mix that arrives on the master will be suitable for compressing and limiting.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
30-07-2010 09:46 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
another 15 year old...

Helpfulness rating: 

its all coming together now

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

30-07-2010 09:54
Ben Kama
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

If a part should be louder than another, turning the other stuff down is always better. As said, in digital you cant go beyond 0, so if your intro is already at -1, you cant go much louder than that after the intro without sounding either compressed (with soundgoofizer or whatever) or clipping.

__
benkama.com

02-09-2010 01:35 Homepage of Ben Kama
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » FL Studio export to mp3 destroys the snare