drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » clean break?
Go to the bottom of this page clean break?
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 25-01-2010

Hi Guys

I've been working on my break for the last week, got the pattern perfect and then started working on EQing and levels.
I've now run into a problem, I ended up with a messy sound. I don't know if there's too much high end or what but I'm having trouble splitting up the frequencies.

I'm using Reason 4, utilising the NN-XT to sample an amen break and a heavy metal break seperately and they play the same pattern together.
Should I get a cleaner break to start with or turn down the sustain on NN-XT? Or start from scratch one step at a time?

I also want the kicks and snares to stand out more but the more I eq them the more distorted they get and still dont give me the effect i want..

Drummer
08-07-2010 14:09
deadbolt
Tourist

heres an example reason 4 file

http://www.zshare.net/download/781263096834663b/

please respond
09-07-2010 09:58
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

you got 2 choices:
1. as you mentioned get a cleaner break and eq that one.
2. leave the break as unaffected as you can, or hipass it to about 200hz and layer some one shots on top of the break, the compress them alltogether.
also you can route the break to different outs on nn-xt, and i advise you to do so, like the kicks to 1-2, snare to 3-4, shuffle to 5-6 etc, and the eq every single channel. this way you will not boost the snare while boosting the kick, the high as you boost the snare. eqing should be cleaner and simpler this way.
oh and also put the nn-xt into a combi so all the processing stays in there and when you need to return to make modifications you will find the combi easier.
option no.2 i mentioned above is used by many, including me, because some breks just don't have the mid-low-end you need as a foundation, but they do have the mid-high hiss to add some brightness to the drums.
also you might want to use custom note lenght and play with the decay and the release.
experiment m8. that's how i've done it and everybody did.
good luck
kf
09-07-2010 13:24
deadbolt
Tourist

Cool. good tips I'll try again and see what I can figure out.

I noticed I've already tried a few things you suggested just by intuition so i must be making some progress. As you said, shortening the note length helped a little. And I figured that out while waiting for a response.

Much obliged Tongue
09-07-2010 14:10
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

good mate. try different things, different compression settings but if you don't have a good monitoring system be gentle with the tweaks.
i also recomend you to use a standalone frequency analyzer. there are a couple of free/trials not state of the art but you need it to show you where the kick peaks etc, so to eq the right zones.
cheers
09-07-2010 17:58
terraon terraon is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3394.png

Registration Date: 07-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

if you're using amen and a metal break it often occurs that cymbals takes much room in the mix. As above killer fan mentions, split into different channels and then i suggest to compress and sidechain the cymbals/shuffle to the kick and snare. And perhaps you want to add some one-shots to make it fit.

I usually only use breaks to be that sound you hear in the background that glues everything together, and then the one shots are the banging sound you hear. So make sure that the breaks aren't choppy-like, but make sure unwanted noises doesn't appear!

__
www.soundcloud.com/a-l-e-x-i-u-s

10-07-2010 11:07 Homepage of terraon
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » clean break?