drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » mix now or mix later?
Go to the bottom of this page mix now or mix later?
Author
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

so how do you guys usually aproach it?. do you mix the sounds as you put them in the track or do you lay it down and then come back and mix (volume, eq, compress, pan etc) every sound to fit? you might say to act as i consider but i'm just a noob trying to find different techniques to see which fits me best. right now i do it on the spot but as the track is finished i do not like the result beacause either the drums are too heavy and too in the front and the rest is in the back, either the other way.
regards
03-07-2010 21:05
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by KILLER_FAN
do you mix the sounds as you put them in the track or do you lay it down and then come back and mix (volume, eq, compress, pan etc) every sound to fit?
regards

Both.

I try to mix on the go, but the result is very very rarely good enough, so I have to come back to it after 'finishing' the track.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
03-07-2010 22:33 Homepage of Puzzle
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
quote:
Originally posted by KILLER_FAN
do you mix the sounds as you put them in the track or do you lay it down and then come back and mix (volume, eq, compress, pan etc) every sound to fit?
regards

Both.

I try to mix on the go, but the result is very very rarely good enough, so I have to come back to it after 'finishing' the track.

^THAT^

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
03-07-2010 22:50 Homepage of BattleDrone
pusha
waveform molester

images/avatars/avatar-2985.jpg

Registration Date: 07-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.14

ditto on what puzzle said

__
buy the ticket take the ride
04-07-2010 09:24
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks veui veui much.
04-07-2010 17:10
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I think a good approach is to only make basic adjustments to the mix (rough panning and volume, very basic EQ) while you are still building the song. Once you got everything in place you can sit down and start mixing in detail.

In my opinion it's a waste of time to apply effects, compression and detailed EQ while the track is still in progress. Every time you add something the mix changes and you have to make adjustments again and again. Better finish the structure first and then do the mixing once at the end. While building you can already do some basic adjustments.

Keep stuff like automation definitely to the end.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-07-2010 13:51 Homepage of thechronic
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

thank you great lord of dotbe. this is exactly what i was thinkin these days: what if i just do some mere mix. just to get the feeling of the tune, and then, at the end mix on full force.
this will also save some resources, while composing, although i bounce down to audio once i am satisfied with a clip.
05-07-2010 16:57
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I do them both. I cannot do automation afterwards because in most of my songs some of the intristic qualities and character are based on some automation.

Having multiple parameters that work with the same thing helps tremendously. Like, automate the volume for one generator, in its' mixer channel, and then adjust the volume knob of the very generator separately, making fine adjustements. Or reroute that mixer channel to another one which is not automated and then fine-tweak.

Oportunities are everywhere Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
05-07-2010 20:37 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ben Kama
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

I too try to keep it tight as I go, but it rarely produces a good result.

When I've finished a track, I usually sit on it without listening to a week or two and then try to mix it again, maybe change the processing as well as the levels etc.

Waiting for a little while will give you a much more objective view on the tune.

__
benkama.com

10-07-2010 17:42 Homepage of Ben Kama
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kama
When I've finished a track, I usually sit on it without listening to a week or two and then try to mix it again, maybe change the processing as well as the levels etc.

Waiting for a little while will give you a much more objective view on the tune.

yes that is true ben. many mix engineers recommend that for a more objective view. i do that but i wait for a day or two, in the meantime start another project or listen to some tunes. it's pretty amazing how elements start shouting in your ear when going back to re-mix. elements that i never heard the 1st time.
11-07-2010 08:29
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » mix now or mix later?