drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » subs
Go to the bottom of this page subs
Author
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hi all, I see a lot of posts about monitors but nothing regarding subs. Anyone got some input on which are good or what frequency level (bottom end) is suitable. Do you cut off your monitors at an exact point or let them bleed into the subs frequency range? (or vice versa).
Are your surround sound subs suitable?
Cheers fellas.

__
OGENIC
Drummer
07-06-2010 17:03
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I'd rather not have a sub because it makes anything sound good.
If you have just monitors without a sub and you hear a nice subbass come out of them you can be sure that you're doing fine.

In my opinion a sub isn't a good investment for a composer.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
07-06-2010 22:38 Homepage of BattleDrone
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I wouldn’t generally say subwoofers make the low end sound "good", at least not if you use the expensive ones offered for your monitor system and dedicated for production/mixing/mastering.

Surely things can go utterly wrong using a sub. Worst case scenario would be that the balance between low and mid/hi-frequencies is ruined which may happen for various reason. The most obvious are wrong setting, wrong placement and the lack of room treatment. A sub does not work as your nearfields. It works with reflection and if your room is not acoustically treated you can end up with mud (not necessarily tho).

The correct crossover setting for the sub is not easy to find, you need some good ears to not fuck this up and preserve a precise and flat sound. With non variable crossovers you have an easier life but the end result may not be ideal.
With systems below 1000€ you can often set a general hi-cut for the sub and a low-cut for the monitors. You can have it strictly separated or with a freq area of 20 hz or so that both units reproduce. Not really sure what to recommend here. I guess if your monitors are very close to the walls and you have reflection that you can’t manage with room control settings you should only let the sub do the bass work.

What's it actually good for?
A sub is a good addition to get very low frequency content reproduced and edited.

Do you think about buying a sub or is this general interest? Get a quality one if you got too much cash and time setting the sub plus your room up correctly. or in case you really enjoy listening to music.
Not sure if your productions will benefit from this though, it depends not only on yummy equipment but on your mixing skills and ears.
08-06-2010 00:50 Homepage of Gregg
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by ogenic
Are your surround sound subs suitable?

You mean hi-fi shit? Certainly not. Those will really colour the low end due to a hyped freq response and whatnot.
08-06-2010 00:59 Homepage of Gregg
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I'd rather not have a sub because it makes anything sound good.
If you have just monitors without a sub and you hear a nice subbass come out of them you can be sure that you're doing fine.

In my opinion a sub isn't a good investment for a composer.

I agree here, my hifi system has a nice subwoofer, but obviously that colours the entire thing; with one general rule: If it sounds good on shit speakers / representable speakers & headphones, it will probably sound even more impressive on that hifi with the sub.

But I wouldn't know how to be sure the volume of sub & speakers aren't out of balance.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
09-06-2010 23:42 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » subs