drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Some drum-questions
Go to the bottom of this page Some drum-questions
Author
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3394.png

Registration Date: 07-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

So i'm workin on a track where i want much of the focus on the drums. And then of course i want the drums to fill most of the mix and such.

And i listened around some on others tune to hear how they usually mix things up and i hear much from noisia that their drums are really beefy yet compact in a way (yeah, hard to explain) but if you listen to e.g. The Tide, Lost Cause and Stigma you can hear that the drums aren't just for holding the beat in the background, thats for sure!

Overall they keep hihats rather low in the mix and focus on kick and snare (and ghosts) and then they achive that 'pumping' sound i'm looking for.

So the question is: Does anyone have any tips/tutorials/links to help me on the way for more 'pumpier' drums like that?

Thanks!

__
www.soundcloud.com/a-l-e-x-i-u-s

02-06-2010 21:29 Homepage of terraon
terraon terraon is a male
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

anyone? x)

__

05-06-2010 22:14 Homepage of terraon
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

i'd try several things to bring your drums more forward in your mixes. first of all for your kick and snare try combining 2 or 3 individual hits (all eq'd separately) to create one big shot that has all the properties that your looking for (kick would need a nice low boom but at the same time have enough punch to cut thru the mix, for the snare again a nice low thump and also a higher snap), processiing these layers together with further eq and compression can help them gel as one sound.

to acheive that "pumping" sound try sidechaining your percussion layers (rides / hi hats) to your kick, noisia admitted in an interview that they use this technique quite often it definately helps your kick stand out and get a bit more movement in your beat quite easily

for some more info you can have a look at this thread:

Punchy kicks and snares,4 god's sake,HOW ?

sidechaining is pretty straight forward really so depending on what DAW you're using just have a search on youtube and you should find something easily there

hope that helps a bit Bigup

__

06-06-2010 12:18 Homepage of Ketz
terraon terraon is a male
Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz
i'd try several things to bring your drums more forward in your mixes. first of all for your kick and snare try combining 2 or 3 individual hits (all eq'd separately) to create one big shot that has all the properties that your looking for (kick would need a nice low boom but at the same time have enough punch to cut thru the mix, for the snare again a nice low thump and also a higher snap), processiing these layers together with further eq and compression can help them gel as one sound.

to acheive that "pumping" sound try sidechaining your percussion layers (rides / hi hats) to your kick, noisia admitted in an interview that they use this technique quite often it definately helps your kick stand out and get a bit more movement in your beat quite easily

for some more info you can have a look at this thread:

Punchy kicks and snares,4 god's sake,HOW ?

sidechaining is pretty straight forward really so depending on what DAW you're using just have a search on youtube and you should find something easily there

hope that helps a bit Bigup

Yeah, thats sound's like the way to go Smile
I've been testing some of that stuff for quite a while but i think my drums get a bit too choppy-like. It's like they don't connect enough with eachother. IMO what i think it depends on is my hihat samples.
A lot of hihats i hear from e.g. noisia, spor, evol intent and such are pretty crunched and relatively long.
Any good hihat-tips on samples/mix you could share?

__

06-06-2010 16:26 Homepage of terraon
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Some drum-questions