drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Snare Compression?
Go to the bottom of this page Snare Compression?
Author
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Lately I am finding that my snares are stabbin my ears instead of punching them, is this because the part that is real high volume is too loud and too short? Should I just keep layering more until this stab becomes a punch? Usually I use bunches of fruity limiters to make my snares punchy, and then I layer so it doesnt sound compressed as hell. Should I be doing it differently? To put things into perspective, i'm using ipod earphones.... yea.

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

01-06-2010 02:12
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Think you answered your own question. I use about 3 different ones and mix them up eq'ing out what I don't like. Just experiment mate. Carefull with compression though, you night be emphasizing the bits you don't want Wink

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
01-06-2010 04:54
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Well if it sounds too loud & too short, it's cause it's overcompressed, no? If you're using several limiters on that snare, maybe you're trying to achieve something that's only achieveable by using another sample? I think snares in dnb should keep some of their natural sound. Some people add some white noise to their snares too, maybe that will get you closer to where you want to be.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
01-06-2010 15:31 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Limiting the fuck out of a snare isn't a good way to get it punchy, you'll only turn it into a bunch of loud noise.
To get a snare punchy but not sounding like white noise all the way you could layer the first bit of a punchy snare on the attack of a normal snare.
You could even use some pitched up kick drum to get the desired effect. Only works with kicks from breaks which are not all boomy and bass (no techno or hardcore kicks).

To give a snare more body (Tschhh-sound Big Grin ) you can layer white noise underneat it. Make sure to give it an envelope that suits the snare structure so you don't actually hear the white noise on it's own but a combination of noise+snare.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
01-06-2010 19:56 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Liquids
Well if it sounds too loud & too short, it's cause it's overcompressed, no?

No, not always.

compression can be used to bring the tail out more.

I personally use compression quite a bit on snares. not always a massive amount, it really depends on the style/track

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

01-06-2010 21:10 Homepage of D2o
Ben Kama
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

The smack amount of a heavy snare can be adjusted by using relatively heavy compression (gain reduction of -5 and more), but then playing around with the attack amount. Sort of sculpting a transient where one doesn't necessarily exist.

__
benkama.com

01-06-2010 21:19 Homepage of Ben Kama
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kama
The smack amount of a heavy snare can be adjusted by using relatively heavy compression (gain reduction of -5 and more), but then playing around with the attack amount. Sort of sculpting a transient where one doesn't necessarily exist.

wise words

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

01-06-2010 21:24 Homepage of D2o
terraon terraon is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3394.png

Registration Date: 07-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i usually layer about 4 drums: 1 low around the 100hz range, 2 mids for the body and a high one for the snap.

Then i send them to a group channel and use multicompressor to emphesis the sound more.
I find it very hard to find the right samples for the snares though

__
www.soundcloud.com/a-l-e-x-i-u-s

02-06-2010 21:25 Homepage of terraon
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Snare Compression?