drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Neurofunk question
Go to the bottom of this page Neurofunk question
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

hey guys,
I'm trying to get a certain Bass Sound which is quite common in Neurofunk/Darkstep.
if you have a listen here there is this short Bass Stab eg. at 1:12. How the Hell can this be done? Huh
It guess its a sweeping Filter (highpass? bandpass? ) but i can't nail it down.
Also no idea about the basic Sound. A Saw reece maybe but don't think it's the same as the Main Bass in this Track.
Who can help Confused

using FL Studio btw
27-04-2010 16:58
arclimberock
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-3053.gif

Registration Date: 18-05-2009

From my (very limited) experience its just about relentless automation and resampling, there arent really any shortcuts.

__
Click_Me

27-04-2010 19:43
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

In my opinion, there are two basses. One is very distorted pure sine bass which has that grinding sound, and the other is a reece. They play the same notes most of the time (exception at: 3:17, for example), but are processed separately and strike with different dynamic quality. The reece/hoover is filtered with a 3-way filter (high-pass, low-pass, band-pass) and has stabby behaviour, while the distorted sine has constant sound. Heavy compression is used, obviously.

Try something out and get back when you have something worth of consideration Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
28-04-2010 16:21 Homepage of Muad'Dib
johnwayne
Tourist

hi, thanks for the tips!
spent lots of time and i think i managed it Tongue
(I'm not trying to copy that track, it's just that little Sound that i needed)

I mixed a saw and a square wave (no detuning to keep the biting highMids)
then the usual fucking up, 3-way split, slight distortion ect.
resampling really did it. Until now i couldn't really believe that would help but it DOES
I got that stabby sound with a wide notch filter thats sweeping through, resampling and reversing the sample.
hell lot of compression et voilá.

Will show you the track when it's done.
so far you can check my last tune on soundcloud
would be cool if you tell me what you think.

great forum here Pleased
28-04-2010 22:43
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by johnwayne
resampling really did it. Until now i couldn't really believe that would help but it DOES

I want to ask this: HOW does resampling helps? I am very interested in this as everyone seems to go frenzy about bouncing and resampling, yet I rarely had the need to resample anything in my whole audio-related carreer. I am really interested in what it has done for you. Smile

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
29-04-2010 04:19 Homepage of Muad'Dib
johnwayne
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
I want to ask this: HOW does resampling helps? I am very interested in this as everyone seems to go frenzy about bouncing and resampling, yet I rarely had the need to resample anything in my whole audio-related carreer. I am really interested in what it has done for you. Smile

yah, same for me. the point is that you can reeeally drive the sounds insane without loosing the punch or your PC perfomance. without resampling i would have to route my bass through 20-30 mixer channels to get the same sound Roll Eyes
Also you can also try weird stuff like vocoders or heavy flangers. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that resampling adds a very warm noisy flair. not something you could do in a VST

What seems important to me is that you stay away from heavy filter modulations at this stage. few modulated notches are okay but if you throw a lowpass on it you loose a lot of frequency rage that you maybe need later on.

I also found out its extreamly important to EQ and compress after every resampling step or you will end up in white noise.
29-04-2010 11:20
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Resampling makes it easier to go for just the effect you want because you don't need to control 20 effects at once.
It also allows you a number of sampled basses with different origins to be sent through the same FX chain.

And it is less CPU intense.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-04-2010 11:33 Homepage of BattleDrone
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Strange. I know the "less-cpu intensive" argument, which is obviously true, but I almost never had the need to resample something so I can further process it. I am a control freak so, I want everything to be alive and working, not to be rendered, so I can tweak the whole production chain at once. On a second note, you can't shift the format frequencies of some sounds that come from VSTi's if you are not resampling, so that is a good cause to bounce to wav.

Anyway, thank you for your responses, I still fail to see any significant benefit in resampling, but I am glad it helps you guys. Bigup

__

-Bene Gesserit
29-04-2010 16:20 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

hmm unless you sample all the notes you need, the pitch/length of the note you recorded will be unrealistic/unsuitable when you play it on different notes... seems like a lengthy process to me!

__
CtMc Cool
29-04-2010 18:32
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Strange. I know the "less-cpu intensive" argument, which is obviously true, but I almost never had the need to resample something so I can further process it. I am a control freak so, I want everything to be alive and working, not to be rendered, so I can tweak the whole production chain at once. On a second note, you can't shift the format frequencies of some sounds that come from VSTi's if you are not resampling, so that is a good cause to bounce to wav.

Anyway, thank you for your responses, I still fail to see any significant benefit in resampling, but I am glad it helps you guys. Bigup

I have been there quite often. If you use a CPU heavy VSTi like Massive to generate bass sounds and you have like 3-4 effects on it and then some other stuff is playing (e.g. pads from another VST and some FX and your drum stuff) you'll hear FL studio gasping for air, even on a fast dual core machine. If you use FL-only stuff the cpu will be asleep but your possibilities are quite limited.

quote:
Originally posted by Ciaran
hmm unless you sample all the notes you need, the pitch/length of the note you recorded will be unrealistic/unsuitable when you play it on different notes... seems like a lengthy process to me!

Quite often you don't bounce single notes but a melody which has some wild portamento with long slides and stuff that way you can still play good melodies and have wicked effects on them then reuse them or chop them up and use only bits or push them through another stack of FX (or even the same stack of FX ) for even more weird & wild bass action.

__
29-04-2010 23:48 Homepage of BattleDrone
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by johnwayne
hey guys,
I'm trying to get a certain Bass Sound which is quite common in Neurofunk/Darkstep.
if you have a listen here there is this short Bass Stab eg. at 1:12. How the Hell can this be done? Huh
It guess its a sweeping Filter (highpass? bandpass? ) but i can't nail it down.
Also no idea about the basic Sound. A Saw reece maybe but don't think it's the same as the Main Bass in this Track.
Who can help Confused

using FL Studio btw

The effect at 1:12 (and many more times) is achieved by using a cut-off filter envelope to open and close the filter. It creates a WOMP kinda sound. Then this sound is save as a sample and reloaded. Next you slide the pitch down a bit at the end of the sound.

__
29-04-2010 23:51 Homepage of BattleDrone
johnwayne
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone

The effect at 1:12 (and many more times) is achieved by using a cut-off filter envelope to open and close the filter. It creates a WOMP kinda sound. Then this sound is save as a sample and reloaded. Next you slide the pitch down a bit at the end of the sound.

hey this pitchbend thing seems interesting.
What kind of filter would you suggest?
30-04-2010 13:43
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

No filter, just put a pitch envelope on the sampler.

__
30-04-2010 14:23 Homepage of BattleDrone
SteakJohnson SteakJohnson is a male
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Guys, screw resampling, heres what you do:

1: Get a bunch of chewbacca samples

2: Add Distortion

Instant Noisia sound

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

01-05-2010 08:20
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

haha! Brilliant.
Have your own 'Chewbacca-in-box' synthesizer, lol. I wonder what Dragon's Den will think...

__
CtMc Cool
01-05-2010 12:23
marcusg marcusg is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 22-08-2008

I touched my music station for the past 6 months due to school. But from experience make sure you save a couple of dozen files as you render/ resample etc. Just in case you mess up and need to do some stuff over.
05-05-2010 02:56
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

you can also use it to create bigger plug-ins chains....i dont want a flanger plug-in, for example, on my main bass sound thats maybe used once or twice in the entire track to take up an insert slot on my desk, seems a waste to me Big Grin id rather save that for an extra distortion effect, compressor etc....i do get what you're saying about the complete control thing tho, i usually make a clone of the project with all the original tweakable parameters in tact before re-sampling anything...just in case it all goes a bit pete tong......

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
05-05-2010 22:06 Homepage of Sephiroth
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

"i usually make a clone of the project with all the original tweakable parameters in tact before re-sampling anything...just in case it all goes a bit pete tong...... "

great tip seth m8.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
05-05-2010 23:04
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Neurofunk question