drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Who is a theif and whos not?
Go to the bottom of this page Who is a theif and whos not?
Author
break yo self foooo

images/avatars/avatar-3050.jpg

Registration Date: 10-02-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Whats the limit to layering beat loops over your own?

I never done this before apart from just now and it fills alot of emptyness but I feel like a massive tea leaf! At my lvl of production I dont think it really matters but Im not gonna keep the loop sample in my track anyways cos I will learn sooner or later(maby just at a realy low lvl Big Grin ) What is the book of the law about this?
27-04-2010 02:11
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Beat loops? If they're royalty free you can use any amount you want.

And old funk & soul etc breakbeats can also be used fairly safely Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
27-04-2010 08:07 Homepage of Puzzle
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Be creative when you "steal", make sure you make your own version of it instead of a plain ripoff. In DnB it's considered ok to use soul-funk-pop-rock-disco-... breaks as your drums or as a layer in your drums. Sampling from other DnB artists is considered to be uncool unless we're talking classic breaks like "Boymerang's - Balance Of The Force" break which is used quite often in other tracks.

You could layer on some percussion, rearrange the break, (partly) layer several breaks replace the kick & snare by single hits, layer on single hits, hi-pass, lo-pass, band pass, compress, pitch up/down... and layer more shit on top.

Existing breaks can indeed be a very good remedy against emptiness in your drum section.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
27-04-2010 10:29 Homepage of BattleDrone
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Be creative when you "steal", make sure you make your own version of it instead of a plain ripoff. In DnB it's considered ok to use soul-funk-pop-rock-disco-... breaks as your drums or as a layer in your drums.

You could layer on some percussion, rearrange the break, (partly) layer several breaks replace the kick & snare by single hits, layer on single hits, hi-pass, lo-pass, band pass, compress, pitch up/down...

Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't put into words Tongue

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
27-04-2010 12:39 Homepage of Puzzle
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

The general rule of thumb should be: factor of theft = recognizability. The more you mix it up with other sounds and kill the specific sound it has, the less can it be recognized, and the less are the chances you will be sued for it. Big Grin

This also means that you will have to be more creative about hiding it out, which kinda gets to the point where, at the end, you should make your own stuff, even if you have some other's sound or loop as the base to start with.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
27-04-2010 14:31 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ben Kama
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

I've been changing my views on this lately. Earlier on I was very much against using any kind of loops, including drums (apart from old funk breaks of course Big Grin ). Recently I've started thinking that it is much more useful to learn how to make releasable music instead of learning how to make 2:30 clips for myspace or spending 3 hours tweaking hihats. Using premade sounds like drum loops or synth presets is means to an end, and the end result is what counts. Using synth loops or premade basslines from CM sample dvd's or stuff like that is a no-go for me tho, that's taking it too far. I still cringe when I spot a preset from a synth I've used myself, but on the dancefloor it really doesnt matter. The girls are not interested if you used presets or not. And the women is why we all do this, no?

If you can make releasable music from early on, you'll learn as you go and that's the best school there is, instead of "getting ready" for it for 10 years.

Oh, and hi, I'm new here!

__
benkama.com

24-05-2010 21:59 Homepage of Ben Kama
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Who is a theif and whos not?