drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Layering hihats
Go to the bottom of this page Layering hihats
Author
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Alot of my shuffles seem to be kinda muffled or muddy... im guessin this is becuase i layer hi hat sounds? Should i eq the different hi hat sounds separately for a better shuffle? (different fx slots) and not layer but only choose a few that shuffle well together? Im curious how the pro's get em to shuffle well but so cleanly also.

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

08-04-2010 05:18
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

emmm. try usin shuffless from a break, somethin that has mids, like a high pitched snare, and on top of those shuffles add hihats with small decay and hipass them. then eq to taste. hope it helps.
but shuffles should not be very bright as a rule. take spor's some other funk, and notice it has some small hihats on the back, but mainly snaped sticks sounds in the middle.
cheers!
08-04-2010 11:07
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

try finding hihats that sound nice together, you could layer them
(when I layer hihats I search a hihat that has a bit of mid and 1 with more high freq. together they have a nicer sound)
and go nuts with your hihatsBig Grin

__

The One - Age Break
10-04-2010 14:17
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Good shuffles are always from a break.
IF you want to do it manualy, then play with tiny amounts of cut off on the various hits and don't play them all at the same level.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-04-2010 21:38 Homepage of BattleDrone
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Been playing with this a bit recently, try working in trebbles and slightly altering the pitch

ie: 1st hit on c, 2nd e, 3rd d# etc

Try also adding another instrument and doing the same with a shaker, ride, tamborine etc, but do those notes in normal 4/4, again altering the pitch.

What can also help is overlaying your hits over a recorded pattern for the natural feel. Just experiment really Wink

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
11-04-2010 04:08
SteakJohnson SteakJohnson is a male
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

thanks guys, i shall put some a these tips to use

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

11-04-2010 22:22
dawm_rule
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

In every music genre there is some styilsh rule, although this is not necessary to be mentioned.
Layering of elements in the music section is necessary if you like to add different sounding material or instrument. As I mentioned before, lay every frequency on its place of every layer, don't let frequencies to have a fight. Avoid blending of a same frequency field of two or more different layered elements. Interference and bieny will become completely problematic when you start making the proper mixing procedure and even mastering of the track. Read on such articles and you will have clearer representation of what I am talking about. Add punching compression to one, do some tricks with the volume, filter or some other effecting to the other element and stick them together. It is all about your artistical point of view. No one can tell you that your track is better or worst then other's by the means of the artistical point. By the means of the technical aspect, there you have to apply with proper knowledge. As a non-written rule, we all know here that drum'nbass music has to have punch in its flow, so implement it and think that way.
13-04-2010 10:11
dawm_rule
Tourist

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

And also this. To achieve that tambourine or shaker's feeling of the instrument, add three 16th notes, the first and the third to be on a same volume or very similar, and the second to be one third of the full velocity from the other two and a bit filtered out by lowering the highs a littlebit, so the first and the second to have that punch feel. Adjust the general volume of that section so you can listen it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by dawm_rule: 13-04-2010 10:20.

13-04-2010 10:19
Scurf Scurf is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3070.jpg

Registration Date: 26-10-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Well generally when you layer drums you need one drum sound(for instance hat) that has sharp attack and small decay, and another(hat), that has loads of decay and mild attack.

You can choose 2 hats, one short, and one similar to open hat. (...or just open hat Roll Eyes ), and cut the body(the tail of the closed/short hat) and cut the attack of the opened hat, and then layer them.

Then you can load 2 instances of the layered sample.

And sort them like this.

The first one :
1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15

The second :
2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16

Then slightly cut the decay, the pitch and the volume of the second one.

Treat them separately in the mix, do not apply reverb or similar effects.

And boost the high end slightly (do this by taste...)
15-04-2010 02:50
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Layering hihats