drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Amount of samples in tunes
Go to the bottom of this page Amount of samples in tunes
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 27-06-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.00

I'm just curious as to how much of ppls tunes are samples. for ages i thought less was better but now i hear more an more samples in tunes. so, how much of your tube is samples? how many tracks are a sample or how many different samples do u use in a tune. im really tlkin about music and not drum or voice samples for eg. i couldve written this a lot better but its late an im sure u get my drift.
08-04-2010 03:33
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

I try to not use any melodic samples in my tunes.. But there are some sounds you just can't synthesize, like guitars, and sometimes I do use samples for them. Anyways thats pretty unusual for me Smile

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
08-04-2010 07:57 Homepage of Puzzle
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

None at all, as far as I know.
High Contrast seems to be doing it all the time though, and yeah, his tunes are kool, but take out the sample and nothing remains. I am more of a musical person (or perhaps more like "melodic" person), so if I haven't really made a melody, I don't feel like I've made a real song either.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Crispy Liquids: 08-04-2010 11:54.

08-04-2010 11:54 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
alternate force alternate force is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 23-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

the first maybe 4-5 years i used samples cus i couldnt get to grips with playing key notes ... i use reason 4 and i feel it just doesnt have the right sounds in the instruments , so i still use samples but now i have got used to playing keys , i still use them alot but i change them or i use a small bit of them and add effects so u cant really tell that its a sample "if u know what i mean" ... now i make most of my tunes by playing and changing the keys , but u always need flute/trumpet/vocals/drum/bass and other sounds to play about with ... i make loads a liquid tracks and i`ll be lost without nice rhodes samples but now i use them and key change myself ... samples r great in my opinion , with Reason if u use like the NNXT or the NN19 they r still samples , but its what u do with them that counts .. it is more satisfying when u start to change the original sample , and it is always good to have them on hand if ur track is missing something that ur program hasent got or that u cant replicate urself !!

__
http://www.myspace.com/dubkinetik

08-04-2010 13:15
benji b
Steppa

Registration Date: 27-06-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.00

Ye im kind of with alternate force on this one. I usually use 1 sample, maybe just 1 note or chord, and make my own tunes form that. I don't have any musical experience though so making tunes from scratch for me is basically impossible. and also i dnt have a keyboard. but like crispy liquids said a lot of artists r using a lot of samples. take HC's 'days go by' for example, im surprised he got away without calling that a remix! anyway, sampling is for me, atm at least. i think i should cut up & edit the samples more tho. but having said that i hear loads of samples in tunes that are pretty much the way they came...
09-04-2010 15:52
Machette
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3080.jpg

Registration Date: 18-04-2010

i'm using samples since i started producing (1999) i love them, i use synths for my b-lines but i always try to sample cool sounds i hear in video games or movies and do some melodies with. there is no rules, listen to your heart ! some use them, some don't. and all my beats are made from samples.
18-04-2010 21:51
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

A LOT of drum n' bass uses the samples.. whether it be synths or vocals from other records, or effects/synths from films ... or breaks from other records, the most common being the Amen (I'm hearing the Sniper break quite a bit now too). THIS SITE'LL HELP YOU OUT: http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk/
Well I'm hoping to get a synth [or two???] in just over 3 weeks time, so I'll be using that for pads/leads and stuff... as for my beats, I'll continue to use and combine drum machine samples. This is a great site: http://samples.kb6.de/downloads.php
As you know there are some well-used samples, for example a bit of vocal, recorded and then pitched up, from the Think break has been used a lot (e.g. in Aquasky - Spectre).
My view on samples is that you should edit them a bit, make them a bit different and therefore include a bit of your own style - show that you're not just following what everyone else is doing. For example, pitching a voice sample down and adding reverb'll suit a dark tune. [I 'm pretty sure that the sample in Technical Itch - Dimensions has been edited.]

__
CtMc Cool
19-04-2010 00:07
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

80% of the stuff I do is samples. Not several bar long samples, just instruments or even blips and blops or sounds from Windows or whatever I find interesting enough to build a tune upon.

Nothing wrong with using samples as long as you don't rip off and make it your own

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
19-04-2010 13:30 Homepage of BattleDrone
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3011.jpg

Registration Date: 28-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by Ciaran
Technical Itch - Dimensions has been edited.]

dimensions was the sickest tune in the whole wide world ever
22-04-2010 15:35
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzle
I try to not use any melodic samples in my tunes.. But there are some sounds you just can't synthesize, like guitars, and sometimes I do use samples for them. Anyways thats pretty unusual for me Smile

Following this very route.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-04-2010 00:59 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Amount of samples in tunes