drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Hmm... Where to start...
Go to the bottom of this page Hmm... Where to start...
Author

Registration Date: 03-04-2010

Hey people... Before I start looking around the forums I should might as well introduce myself right?
well I'm not going to give personal info but just basic stuff.

Anyways I just recently started to like the DnB genre... before it was Hardcore or Hardstlye Techno.
For the past 8 months I have DJ in a few parties and I liked it
Not much of a "song writer" if you know what I mean, I only mixed songs.
But anyways I felt like its time to change a bit, I got tired of mixing all the time and now I want to try to create some music, and along the side, mix a few songs at the same time...

I know I don't got the right equipment for creating music, the closest thing I got it FL8 Studio... the rest I got are a:
Hercules RMX Mixer (A copy of Virtual Dj Came with it)
Gemini XGA-3000 Amplifier
2x JBL JRX125 Speakers
Gemini DJX-05 Headphones

the rest are lights but it doesn't matter

anyways yeah, its cool to be here
03-04-2010 08:18
Anomalia Nativa Anomalia Nativa is a male

images/avatars/avatar-2994.jpg

Registration Date: 18-01-2010

Well, when you consider some people from here even produce on iPod headphones (!), so, for starting out, it ain't that bad setup.

Welcome to the board Bigup
04-04-2010 15:25 Homepage of Anomalia Nativa
additive additive is a male
DROP IT!

images/avatars/avatar-2973.png

Registration Date: 09-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hi Twiggmister

I'm not an authority on this subject, but I have had some experience with big PA speakers and attempts at production.

Just a thought about your set up that you've got there. It would be great to mix on, I'm sure; however the trouble with big bins (JBL JRX125) is that they have really poor frequency response (I think that's the term. What I mean is that some frequencies will resonate at different levels to others - and big speakers do it badly in my experience!)

My suggestion if you are going to try your hand at production is that you get some nice near-field monitors.

I just bought myself some Yamaha HS-80m's which seem to be engineered quite well for a reasonably flat frequency response (in a very low cost speaker). I'm finding it a lot easier to produce reasonably tidy sounding tracks that represent well on other speakers.

Don't let that put you off in the mean-time though! There's a learning curve, and if you can make something sound good on your big bins then you're achieving something; aren't you. Smile

I used to produce on a big club system and it was always sounded great on those speakers, but then it sounded like a nightmare when I played it on any other set of speakers.

The headphones will be a good help. They'll be a good second reference.

I hope that helps.

-Nick

__
http://www.additivemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/additive-music/497601575363?ref=ts
04-04-2010 15:55 Homepage of additive
Twiggmister

Registration Date: 03-04-2010

quote:
Originally posted by Anomalia Nativa
Well, when you consider some people from here even produce on iPod headphones (!), so, for starting out, it ain't that bad setup.

Thank you very much

quote:
Originally posted by additive
Hi Twiggmister

I'm not an authority on this subject, but I have had some experience with big PA speakers and attempts at production.

Just a thought about your set up that you've got there. It would be great to mix on, I'm sure; however the trouble with big bins (JBL JRX125) is that they have really poor frequency response (I think that's the term. What I mean is that some frequencies will resonate at different levels to others - and big speakers do it badly in my experience!)

My suggestion if you are going to try your hand at production is that you get some nice near-field monitors.

I just bought myself some Yamaha HS-80m's which seem to be engineered quite well for a reasonably flat frequency response (in a very low cost speaker). I'm finding it a lot easier to produce reasonably tidy sounding tracks that represent well on other speakers.

Don't let that put you off in the mean-time though! There's a learning curve, and if you can make something sound good on your big bins then you're achieving something; aren't you. Smile

I used to produce on a big club system and it was always sounded great on those speakers, but then it sounded like a nightmare when I played it on any other set of speakers.

The headphones will be a good help. They'll be a good second reference.

I hope that helps.

-Nick

Thanks for the info, well I got some good Logitech 5.1 channel computer speakers, they seem to do better than the others.

I use FL Studio 8 on the PC, virtual Dj is on my laptop where its connected to the JBL speakers through the mixer and amplifier ETC

the JBLs sound bad if you don't have them loud... its like its meant for you to only play music loudly, or is it because I'm behind the speakers or because of the environment that I'm in? Huh

well anyways yeah thanks for the info, appreciate it.
22-04-2010 07:07
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

well you've got more stuff than I do I guessTongue

I got mu head phones and speakers with fl8
soon a midi keyboard is going to join Big Grin

also have the living room speakers for reference (they're hugeTongue )

so what you have is good fornow, if your really getting into producing on a pro level try going for the pricey yummy hardware etcTongue
but for now this is greatSmile

have fun producing!

__

The One - Age Break
02-05-2010 05:48
SteakJohnson SteakJohnson is a male
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

quote:
Originally posted by Anomalia Nativa

LOL I'm proud of this.

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

02-05-2010 07:30
drumnbass.be forum » Drumnbass scene » Offtopic banter » Hmm... Where to start...