drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Getting a few new things. (Need some advice)
Go to the bottom of this page Getting a few new things. (Need some advice)
Author
Sponsor

Registration Date: 12-12-2009

So, I've decided to get some new stuff, and I was wondering if you people could provide me with some thoughts, ideas, experience, etc etc.

Here's some things I'd like to see in my room:

Technics SL-1210 M5G direct drive Turntable

Pioneer DJM 800 24 bits/96kHz digital DJ mixer

Pioneer HDJ 2000 headphone

Now, if any of you could tell me, that this is either a smart plan, or a dumb plan, I'd really appreciate it.
My 'knowledge' on turntables, mixers, headphones, etc etc, is limited to where I can tell you, that a turntable probably 'turns'... And that's it.
Some of my friends told me, that I might want to start off a bit 'lower', but I've always, only wanted top notch stuff. So that's a 'no go'.

Any advice, life stories, criticism would be nice.
And yeah, sorry for the 'Dutch' web pages. Its the only thing I've got at the moment.

Thank you people in advance!

p.s. I'd like to create "Drum n' Bass", "Dubstep", "Hardstyle" and "Hardcore". Not sure if that changes anything though.

__
King Kilo - SoundCloud

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by killerkb: 07-03-2010 15:23.

07-03-2010 15:21 Homepage of killerkb
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

well the feature that separate the good TTs from the bad ones is the torpue, meaning how fast they spin at full speed after you take your hand off them. direct drive are the best, meaning the motor is directly attachet to the platter, no belts, giving better results. the Technics are the best. but consider one thing:you'll have to carry around a lot of boxes full of vinyls, and some tracks are released later on vinyl.
and always mixing on TTs is harder than on cds because you don't have bpm counters to help you.
the mixer is good but allen&heath delivers better sound quality, but i heard it's harder to mix on. don't know why.
and i don't understand one thing. you want to produce or to mix dnb/dub ect?
if you want to produce you'd better think about investing in a good pc or mac, some good monitors, a daw and few good vsts to start off.
buying mixing hardware will not help you produce in any way.
Think about it!
07-03-2010 15:55
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

yeah what killer already said, you better go for a cd turntable, as if your playing in a dj booth with people around you and some guys hits your table in some reason your vinyl will stop for a second which cd's wont do.

__

The One - Age Break
08-03-2010 11:05
pusha
waveform molester

images/avatars/avatar-2985.jpg

Registration Date: 07-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.14

age break that is poooooooooooooooor advice. get 1210's but try n get hold of a set of mk2's there has been a rumour goin round that the mk2 is goin out of production (which would be a fuckin shame) don't know how true this is but technics 1210 mk2 are the best tt's without a shadow of a doubt. fuck cdj's the quality of sound vinyl give's is superior cdj's will die out soon .long live vinyl!!!!!!!!!!!! Drummer

__
buy the ticket take the ride
09-03-2010 14:28
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

yeah and i'll see you spendin trice as much on vinyl than on mp3, just for quality Tongue . i say yeah fuck cd too but wait there a minute i take some considerents first. where would be the cue points, the instant play/pause, the 'i have 2 cds with all the mp3 tracks i need to bang a club for 2 hrs'.
don't want to start the awful discution bout cd vs. vinyl.
09-03-2010 15:02
Filth is my second name

Helpfulness rating: 

the audio in a club fucks the sound up anyways so wont be alot of diffrence to hear to most of the people there, they all had a beer ar 2 and are going fucking crazy Tongue

__

The One - Age Break
09-03-2010 18:01
pusha
waveform molester

Helpfulness rating: 

no offence age break but the clubs u go to must be pretty shit you obviously aint been to ne ram records night at matter where yes they do have cdj's but pretty much every dj insists on using vinyl chase and status and andy c to name a few and with regards to killer fan about turning up to a club with 2 cds in your pocket and bangin a club 4 2 hours how souless can u get. u might as well turn up with 2 usb sticks in ur pocket to me that idea is fucking poor at best tbh,and ur sayin well i would spend trice the amount of money on vinyl so what i dont give a shit i can afford it and its ppl like me and all others that still buy vinyl that keep the game alive not like these ppl who jus file share nd rip shit from the net that will eventually kill the industry dead and i know a lot of ppl who would agree any way. rant over vinyl kills cdj every day of the week dont care wot ne 1 says Woot

__
20-03-2010 22:57
Filth is my second name

Helpfulness rating: 

well club I go to have dj's that use vinyl and dj's that use cd's.
and in every club the sound is a bit worse.
and having a cd doens't mean you riped it lolTongue
in alot of clubs you don't even come in if you've got copied cd's you need to show the real deal or show that you've bought the song.
but If I would ever start dj'ing I would do it with cd's anyways as it's more reliable (atleast that's what I've heard btw.) and using real cd's, the quality is still very good.
and I don't think it's soulless acctually.
it still remains a art that has to be learned, and masterd.
and if you can get people to dance and belike FACKING AWESOME RAVE RAVE! it has to have a soulTongue as long as the vibe is good!
have to admit though flipping a vinyl looks cooler than getting a cd outTongue

it's just what you prefer acctuallySmile

__

The One - Age Break

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Age Break: 20-03-2010 23:19.

20-03-2010 23:16
pusha
waveform molester

Helpfulness rating: 

if u are not a dj why are u commenting on some thing you don't know about Knownothing .rewind a cd then rewind a vinyl the difference is extremely different the cd jus sounds like digital mess while a vinyl give that wkd pull up sound as far as ppl ''checking a dj's cd's are all legal is the biggest amount of shizzle i have ever heard lmfao u think when the likes of hazzard or jaydan or original sin turn up at a club there is a geezer standin there with his hand out waiting to inspect there cd wallets ur out of your mind Shakeshark

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by pusha: 21-03-2010 14:18.

21-03-2010 14:17
Filth is my second name

Helpfulness rating: 

oke oke your right :$
haha

__

The One - Age Break
21-03-2010 15:16
killerkb killerkb is a male
Sponsor

Registration Date: 12-12-2009

My GOD! Sorry for the late reply people. Started with some internet problems, ended with a poor memory. Heh.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your advice!
I can already tell that there are allot of opinions out there. Possibly to much to make it any 'clearer' to me. But thank you guys non the less!

I guess I'll just try some first. Get my head into the hardware.
And who knows, you guys might see me shine' on PRSPCT some day. Hahaha.

Cheers!

__
King Kilo - SoundCloud
26-03-2010 22:44 Homepage of killerkb
Filth is my second name

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by killerkb

And who knows, you guys might see me shine' on PRSPCT some day. Hahaha.

Cheers!

and I'll be there going nuts on your tunes mateTongue

12 may prspct xxl !

__

The One - Age Break
26-03-2010 23:49
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

E-Z there,
I got turntables for Xmas. (I already had music software and a keyboard).
They're belt-drive though - at the time I didn't think it was a problem. But now that I can beatmatch, mix and so on, I can see the problem of belt-drive.
If I touch the vinyl e.g. to rewind it, then the platter slows down. Might not sound to bad, but when you're 'dropping' in a tune in a mix and it doesn't start exactly when you want, then it's gonna sound bad. Also doesn't help if you want to be a turntablist. So now I want to get some Technics... the prices though! Fucking hell!
''Getting turntables won't help with producing'' - rubbish. Hearing and mixing tunes on tt's can inspire you! Also, it's cool to be able to decide between producing and mixing; if you ever get musician's block then get to the tt's!
As for the 'Turntables v. CDJ' argument, here are some points for ya:
TURNTABLES:
- You can 'see' the music; by looking at the grooves you can tell where the breakdowns are, where the drums kick in, how much of a track you've played, and so on.
- Look much cooler than CDJs.
- Vinyl looks cooler than CDs.
- May offer better sound quality (but vinyl deterioration will counter this).
- A vinyl collection is something to be proud of. Whereas CDs are easy enough to obtain or make (fuck you downloaders - what you do is bad for a musician's livelihood). Also, you can sell your vinyls for more cash than you'd get for CDs. I've seen a £100 vinyl before (Foul Play - Finest Illusion Illegal Mix).
* You have to take care of your vinyls - scratches, spillages etc are easy to do.
* Direct-drives are expensive.
* You have to carry a heavy box of vinyls around to play sets at clubs etc.
* Vinyl can/will wear out after a while. Which means you'll have to replace them. Not too good if they're expensive/rare.
* You styli will have to replaced if they wear out. Also, having the counterweight screwed in towards the headshell will damage the grooves and stylus, though providing excellent tracking.
* Knocking the tone arm whilst playing will fuck up the groove and also give you a rather nasty 'bliieehh' sound.

CDJs:
- You can fit your set inside your coat pocket. Not quite as easy to do with a collection of vinyls.
- Easier to transport.
- Your CDs aren't going to get damaged by being manipulated (e.g. by you 'scratching' them or spinning them back).
- My CD is a bit dusty? Okay I'll just give it a quick wipe. My vinyl is a bit dusty? Damn, I'm gonna have to get a cleaning kit for it. And how do I remove those stains from the grooves?!
- You don't have to worry about knocking anything and fucking up the groove.
- You have to clean the styli on tt's, but not the laser reader on CDJs.
- I'm pretty sure that CDJs are nowhere near as costly as tt's.
- Instant cue points. Definitely beats trying to find the right point on vinyl before it's too late. On CDJs you can return to the cue point by pressing a button. You can also loop a track - it's easier but not as professional as looping two vinyl copies (that's turntablism!)
* There's no chance of you being able to scratch, unless you getr Timecoded vinyl.
* Looks kinda fake compared to turntables. People can see what you're doing with tt's, they can see the vinyl, etc. Also the point on looping as opposed to using two copies of a record; I read about people saying that CDJs were doing the work - makes a bit of sense now.
* Who's going to be proud of having a CD of tunes as opposed to a lovely collection of vinyls?
* With vinyls, you're helping the musician's livelihood as money is going towards them. People can just download music nowadays; can't be good for the musicians who aren't getting any money for their REAL works because everyone's on fucking rapidshare.
*Umm, I think the breakdown happens at 2:06? Or is it 2:30? Looks like I'm going to have to remember it for the future. (No need to remember where everything happens on vinyl, just look and you'll see!)

Those are the points I can think of.

Anyway, my main point is - why not be a music producer AND a DJ?

__
CtMc Cool

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ciaran: 27-03-2010 21:06.

27-03-2010 21:02
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

nice package ya got lined up there, as above really. try get 1 cdj so ya can play ya own stuff n stuff. dont listen to people when they say cdjs are better cos thats just bollocks.

cdjs are conveniant and save some cash on tunes but there is nowt like decks n vinyl

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

28-03-2010 17:32 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
pusha
waveform molester

Helpfulness rating: 

i reckon culture boy has got it pretty much spot on there tbh.a thread ending reality lol

__
05-04-2010 17:37
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Fuck it! might as well have my 2 cents worth ... Big Grin
You got to consider how much room you have for a start, my 1210 mk2's are sitting on top of my walldrobes and have been there for the last 3 years and my 5000+ vinyl is in the attic. no room anymore!
1210's are work horses! mine have been to Ibiza and back, over 10 years old motor still fine as is the pitch control. But these are not the best decks I have used. around 97/98 I was playing on a station that just got some Vestax decks, they felt great, a couple of hundred pounds more than the 1210's but if I had the cash I would have got them.
Cdj's... used them alooong time ago very basic models, they have come along way now. I can see the appeal, I could see them allowing you to be really creative. I think I might get a pair!
If you use decks then go to cdj's I think you would kick ass with them, from cdj's to decks...no way!
But if I was starting out anew, pfffff fuck the decks! embrace the technology!
There is something very special about taking out your vinyl giving it a blow and placing it on the deck, winding it forward with your hand, nodding your head as your hand goes back n forth in time, counting the beats.....but if you aint a vinyl junkie fuck it!
Me? I'd have both! Woot

__
OGENIC
Drummer
05-04-2010 23:20
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Getting a few new things. (Need some advice)