drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » the classic MC DJ Combination
Poll: Do you ever want an MC to either spit or just shut the fuck up?
Yes 24 80.00%
No 6 20.00%
Total: 30 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page the classic MC DJ Combination
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by ripon
quote:
just wanted to point out, that dnb mc-ing ain't as easy at it seems to be

I never insinuated that it was easy, Im sure its extremely difficult, my point is that I dont even care if its hard or easy, I dont think MCs should be there at all, I dont see the need for them (I mean this in the nicest of ways, not trying to start any beef or anything, just my opinion Bigup )

No swet at all;;; wasn't pointin' at you or anyone elso::: I just like to give a little 'inside info' on the mc-ing thingy every now and then...

I can also understand some people like dnb sets without mc's. Even I know some dj's that sounds better without an mc!

__
www.dedkob.com
12-05-2004 11:27
basslicious basslicious is a female
Flashtunes

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-05-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

its indeed imortant to have an MC's vision about the whole thing too , coz maybe sometimes we only see things from one side and its always good to hear the other side aswell Big Grin

mutual respect is what it's all about ! Tongue

__
Give it a try , don't be shy
Well you know you might like it
Never been to keen a timekeeper
But i'm a pure new pleasure seeker

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by basslicious: 12-05-2004 11:54.

12-05-2004 11:54 Homepage of basslicious
deucewild deucewild is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-282.jpg

Registration Date: 03-06-2004

certain dj mc combos work
certain emcee's just got rhythym, flow, and intelect.
the only emcees that i can guarantee a live show from are:

mc conrad
mc gq
i've been disappointed too many times in the past from other mc's

definitely check out these mc's at any chance you get.

the best US emcees are from philly in my opinion:

J messinian
illy emcee
armanni and sharpness = mental sharp

i was never much of a fan of mc'ing with dnb until i moved to philly. something about their presence and control on the mic gets the crowd all hot. no doubt!

-Chris

__
. . . .. ..::::: DEUCEWILD :::::... .. . .
www.confidentialentertainment.com
04-06-2004 04:38 Homepage of deucewild
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

dude totally...i mean freaky flow is dope as fuck...but when its dnb radio or some shit,im really sick and tired of them fucking acting like the show stopper...i wen tto a couple parties where the mc wanted them to play the record again...i as like damnit let him fucking spin... Evil damn mc's

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

14-07-2004 02:12
Petradex Petradex is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 12-08-2004

Personally I think that more than half the time the MC just detracts from the music. I stopped going to the bigger events here in UK because EVERY TUNE was getting rewound(whether the crowds going mental or not and even if the DJ before had played it as well!) Remember at slammin vinyl once having to run away from main arena to avoid BodyRock(not actual that bad but once youve heard it 10 million times...) only to find it being played in the other room as well AND THEN both MCs got it rewound. Having said that free/squat parties can be just as bad if not worse, have on more than one occassion seen "open mic" events decend into full on brawls (really not very much fun in a squat full of wannabee gangstas)
12-08-2004 17:22 Homepage of Petradex
KoFFiE KoFFiE is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-271.gif

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.83

Also not really that MC-minded. DOC - you know your stuff, but most of the time the MC's... Frown MC's can add a lot to the athmosphere, but only very few really do.

Anyway - I really absolutely hate it when the MC starts screamin' for a rewind. I don't understand why those rewinds are so popular - you don't see it in any other style. It brings me to a full-stop. I suppose it's some kind of "power" the mc has over the dj, and then they just start powertripping - don't see any other reason actually. Sometimes rewinds do work - but I haven't heard a lot that did, and I would prefer no rewind - even if it could work. I go to a party to have fun - and dance, not to listen 1/3rd of the time to intro's and some mc spitting out some ununderstandable shit, or repeating the same things all over again. I seriously hope this trend from the UK isn't coming over, that would really damage DnB imho.
I'm gonna print t-shirts with "fuck rewinds" printed on it or smth I think... proposals for text & design are welcome Big Grin

__
Sleep is a poor substitute for coffee
12-08-2004 18:52 Homepage of KoFFiE
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

DOC knows his stuff, oh yes he does! Shocked Best I've heard!!!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-08-2004 20:21 Homepage of Surya
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Well what can I say: thnx for the credits, highly appreciated;

On the Rewind-trend; I don't think it's commin' over; It's been an essential part of the scene in the UK since dnb mc-ing was a reflection of mc's in the dancehall/reggae scene; when soundsystems clashed it's a sign of respect when the crowd askes for a rewind. Most of the times they battle by using unique dubs. So in such a situation I understand that they wanna hear a tune again: cause you can't hear it anywhere else.

In Drum n bass, the mc's did the same; they asked the crowd if they want the rewind, and if the feedback was huge, they pulled a rewind. But it became a shape trick it seems... I still like a rewind every now and then, but the crowd gots to ask for it, not the mc... Or the dj can decide to pull one just for the fun of it.... (cfr. Panacea; superb timin', superb tune!)

Since my first time on the mic at a Belgian dnb bash I noticed that a rewind isn't that highly rated over here... so I never ask for it, unless the dj askes me, or the crowd is screamin' out for it. I also think Belgian mc's are limited in their actions by their dj's; if an mc never shuts up, or he's askin' for rewinds non stop, the dj will turn his mic off... or the mc becomes a persona non grata to some dj's. So in one way or another, our dj's defined most of our mc's...

And for all mc (and old skool) lovers, here's a superb set by Kenny Ken & Mc Stevie Hyper D (RIP) : wicked tunes & supreme lyricism from back in the days; I've got this set since way back, and I still enjoy it to the fullest; uploaded on public demand;

http://www.clarknova.online.be/uploads/K...gendarymix).mp3

__
www.dedkob.com

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Mc D.O.C.: 13-08-2004 22:02.

13-08-2004 22:00
Wally Wally is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 28-07-2004

best MC around : SP::MC imo, knows when to shut up, got a really deep great voice, and good rhymes!!

and hey, a rewind can be cool from time to time, if it's done at the appropriate (??) moment, on Common Senz a couple of months ago, with flight and jubei & sp::mc, I saw sp::mc himself do a rewind, he just went to the turntables, stretched out his arme, and rewinded the record, man, that was so funny, after a while he even took the turntables and spinned a couple of recs haha... never saw such a drunk mc, not to mention jubei, who couldn't stand on his legs anymore, and i'm not even kidding Big Grin

__
http://www.breakz.be/~vizor/audio/wally_noodlez.mp3
07-09-2004 16:53 Homepage of Wally
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
Originally posted by KoFFiE
I'm gonna print t-shirts with "fuck rewinds" printed on it or smth I think... proposals for text & design are welcome Big Grin

I would deff. want one to preform with Big Grin

regards

__
http://www.mentallab.com

26-10-2004 13:21 Homepage of Mush mc
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

sorry to bring up an old topic.......but i feel that any caucasian MC who MC's with a fake jamaican accent should be taken into the pasture and left to graze on poisonous grass....(and then shot just in case)....they're not jamaican.......they do horrible jamaican impressions.......and would do better just to shut the fuck up and "flow" in their own unique voice

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
03-12-2004 20:13 Homepage of spudleyq
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

A good MC also needs 2 know how to dance. (MC Question mark)
06-12-2004 11:18 Homepage of zebediah
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Yeah, you have a point here. But.... if caucasian mc's do the jah-thing in a good way, then there's is no reason to panic, it's ba it bizar, but hey.. Of course you could say then that only real jamaican people can sing in the rastafarian way, but, then again, why? Singing in a given language is a possibility and everybody's right. Only pitty that most of the 'imitators' don't get close to the real thing, it's like french people trying to pronunciate english names. Funny horror.
So that makes it a quite dualistic issue: on one hand you have the freedom for everybody to do what he likes or not ( i leave the quality-aspect in the midlle) and on the other hand the integrity/truthful background.

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
06-12-2004 11:28 Homepage of Soi
dj eskay dj eskay is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-164.jpg

Registration Date: 19-08-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Its not how many rewinds but how good they are .
If the public is so happy and loves his dj and the public wnats him to rewind 10 times at a row then thats good .

But rewinds for fun Huh , they arent good Evil

I like dj with mc combination .It gives something extra in a set .Its the communicator between the public and the dj .

Only the best dj's have contact with their public ....

__
Stepping bass
07-12-2004 13:56 Homepage of dj eskay
zebediah
is deep in the jungle

images/avatars/avatar-659.jpg

Registration Date: 08-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

A performer has 2 be able to form a relationship with their audience. This is the secret 2 making them dance.
07-12-2004 16:00 Homepage of zebediah
Phazzy Phazzy is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-10-2003

its ages ago that i made this thread... im suprised its still goin.

yea i fink thats thers fuckin loads to talk about on this topic..

BUT... i think ive found the best combo EVER!

their names are dj unix and mc petite and u can check out their shit on www.planetdnb.com

they r still up an comin but watch out 4 them!

TRUST

an by the way u can check me out playin on the radio on planetdnb on a couple of saturday mornings each month at 11am GMT (the time might b different in belgium)

BO!
(the time might b different in belk

__
Bigup
19-01-2005 17:28
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Phazzy

i think ive found the best combo EVER!

their names are dj unix and mc petite and u can check out their shit on www.planetdnb.com

Do you have to be a registerd user to listen or something because the link doesn t work?
Please help me out cause i would like to check it

regards
mush

__
http://www.mentallab.com

23-01-2005 17:00 Homepage of Mush mc
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

To MC GQ on the breakbeat kaos mix cd:
SHUT DA F UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
31-03-2005 22:47 Homepage of Friscko
Phazzy Phazzy is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-10-2003

quote:
To MC GQ on the breakbeat kaos mix cd: SHUT DA F UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hahahaha

yea i hate mcs chattin 2 much!

let the music breathe 4 once

at the end of the day i want to hear beats and melodies - not sum bloke shoutin down the mic!

__
Bigup
02-04-2005 09:54
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

Indeed
He screwed up 'scrambled eggs' mc-ing totally over it

__