drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » the classic MC DJ Combination
Poll: Do you ever want an MC to either spit or just shut the fuck up?
Yes 24 80.00%
No 6 20.00%
Total: 30 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page the classic MC DJ Combination
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-10-2003

if ur listening to dnb on da radio is it me or do u just want the MC to either spit or to just shut the fuck up?

Another thing that bugs me is do u ever get the MC telling the DJ to rewind almost every track? coz that bugs me as well

I sometimes feel the solution is to have two MCs and one DJ...

but what do u think... is this classic MC-DJ combination becoming boring and sometimes annoying or is it just me?

__
Bigup
09-05-2004 16:54
Pablex Pablex is a male
Massive Junglism

images/avatars/avatar-239.jpg

Registration Date: 20-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

depends if the mc can actually mc,i don't mind mc's,sometimes they really surprise me and without some of them it would get boring
at the other hand there are mc's that really can be annoying:
dieselboy feat. mc messinja or something like that:great mc,should have mceed more Frown
aphrodite feat. mc sugars:he could really screw up some really nice tracks,didn't shut it when needed Mad

__

09-05-2004 22:01
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

It's not just you. I never really felt like the MC was needed. Good MC's can add to the vibe (like DOC Wink ) but a lot of them just ramble on and on (Skibadee) withouth paying attenrion to the music, others just shout stupid crap all the time, like Where's the noize and Who wants a rewind (Rage). Those we don't need. Also, it bothers me a lot when the MC is too loud, overpowering the music, or if there is so much compression on the music that it's so silent when the MC says something, that you can't hear it anymore.
So where it comes to is: an MC is fine if he knows when to shut up, knows not to say the same crap all the time and isn't too loud. After all, we're still there for the music in the first place.

But I'm under the impression that when it comes to MC's, we have more luck in Belgium than in the UK. On party's in Belgium, you often have an MC during 1 or two sets, and thats it, whereas you've got MC's all over in the UK. Or am I mistaken?

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-05-2004 11:05 Homepage of Surya
D-Lux
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-121.gif

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

Lol, what kinda poll is this... There should b options like "shut the fuck up" or "spit it out" instead Big Grin

it all depends on the mc tho... a good mc is good and ADD´s a vibe to the set off the dj. An mc who just can´t seem to shut the fuck up is a bad mc and should b kicked from the stage

__
Every monday from 200h00 till 22h00! Check --->

10-05-2004 11:10
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by D-Lux
and should b kicked from the stage

OK, so next party we agree the MC sucks, we'll go kick his ass of the stage for real, no? Devil

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

10-05-2004 11:16 Homepage of Surya
basslicious basslicious is a female
Flashtunes

images/avatars/avatar-259.jpg

Registration Date: 08-05-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

or you can do like optical ( i think it was him not sur etho its somewhere here in an old thread ) did and hit the mc very hard on his face in front of 500 london party peepz ROFL

i wonder if the people were shocked or started applauding Hihi

__
Give it a try , don't be shy
Well you know you might like it
Never been to keen a timekeeper
But i'm a pure new pleasure seeker
10-05-2004 13:59 Homepage of basslicious
Soi Soi is a male
Super Moderator

images/avatars/avatar-2543.jpg

Registration Date: 29-01-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
15 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Big up for Optical.
Don't ask me why, but i have a firm belief that, most of the time, mc's are apparently there to mask the mistakes, or less harsh, the incapability of the dj to get the crowd going.
There's no doubt of course that decent mc's do exist, but most of them are just incomprehensive verbal cliche-spewing machineguns. And also: you have to have a decent soundsystem for an mc to be able to show his skills. As mentioned before, some compression/limiting fx are likely to take place. F*ckin hate that.
I've rarely seen capable mc's, and really honestly: how many of you actually understand what's those guys are saying?
I'd say: dj's: work your skills to the max! Try beatjuggling with your left foot and right ear, for all i care.

And now for something completely different:
mc DOC will attend our session at the skool of hard knocks party saturday 15/05.
Don't say that i don't try... Big Grin

__
a myspace
my tunes
"I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol that some thinkle peep I am.
It's just the drunker I sit here the longer I get."
10-05-2004 14:29 Homepage of Soi
Flashtunes

Helpfulness rating: 

can we kick him of stage if we don't like him ??? Hahaha , j/k Wink

indeed , most of the time i don't understand what they're saying but thats' normal , or can you pronounce whole sentences for an hour long at 180bpm ? Shocked

I also share your opinion that sometimes the mc's can be there to hide the mistakes djs make ... but if we really wanna get rid of them , maybe a new feature on the soundsystem , just some blurry blablabla you can mix into your set if its not going well ? Hihi

Just push the mc button and you got a choice from all kinds of varieties in mcs , from DOC to wooo woo wooooooooooooooooooo skibadee ( brrrr)

Wink

__
10-05-2004 14:48 Homepage of basslicious
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by basslicious
or you can do like optical ( i think it was him not sur etho its somewhere here in an old thread ) did and hit the mc very hard on his face in front of 500 london party peepz ROFL

i wonder if the people were shocked or started applauding Hihi

Don't know if it was Optical, but I know the MC was Skibadee Big Grin

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

11-05-2004 12:18 Homepage of Surya
Flashtunes

Helpfulness rating: 

i KNOW the mc was skibadee , not sure tho about the dj indeed Confused

suddenly remembered grooverider hitting some girl in the audience with a trashcan too i think becoz she was annoying him

ROFL

__
11-05-2004 12:55 Homepage of basslicious
Flashtunes

Helpfulness rating: 

ill just have to make sure not to annoy crazy dylan this saturday , memo to myself Big Grin

__
11-05-2004 12:57 Homepage of basslicious
ripon ripon is a male
Cool Steppa

quote:
On party's in Belgium, you often have an MC during 1 or two sets, and thats it, whereas you've got MC's all over in the UK. Or am I mistaken?

When my girlfriend and I went to Accelerated Culture in February, it was OK with the MC, but they gave us a free DVD of the Accelerated Culture Award Winners show, and the MCs on it are horrible, I cant even watch it. 3 or 4 MCs fighting over the mic, shouting, making stupid badass faces for the camera, diverting all the attention from the DJ, which I hate. And these are supposedly top MCs.

In conclusion, I cant stand MCs, have yet to go to a show where I say "wow, he really enhanced the music" Im there to hear tunes, not to hear some stupid muppet shouting and bigging up himself. Tunes these days are well produced enough and exciting enough, you dont need someone telling you "Oh my god, big tune..."every time a track drops
11-05-2004 16:45
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Registration Date: 28-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Defenition of a good dnb mc::: impossible >>> there's positives and negatives, but there are no rules to dnb mc-ing; you can always check out what's been said in the previous mc-posts in this forum, but in the end there is no strict defenition at hand;;;

On the other hand: try to imagine what it's like to be an mc; sometime you're in a room with in one corner a bunch of mc-freaks screamin' for more from the second you stop talkin' to let the music breed... and on the other hand there's some people lookin' at ya like they wanna kill you everytime you open up your mouth... it's fuckin' hard I tell ya! Whatever's the scenario: you can't satisfy everybody at once; so in the end it all comes down to compromising: but even that won't work every time!?

Another thing that's often underestimated is the crowdfeedback; take a -in your defenition- good mc an put him in front of a crowd that isn't movin'/shoutin'/ravin' and he won't be able to expose his abilities. I think -in my humble opinion- that 40% of an mc's nrg/performance depends on the feedback from the crowd. It's true that an mc can start off a party (that's a part of his job) but he won't be able to keep givin' away nrg, without receivin' nrg from the crowd. I remember a free party in Leège 2 weeks ago where I opened longside Haste;;; we had no feedback at all! It was only a 1;30hr set and but afterwards I was exhausted::: you can't pretend to be a happy ravin' bunny while all the other bunnies are havin' some kinda wintersleep...

All the other thing are already said I think;

-the importance of a good soundsystem + the ability to stand close to the crowd without causin' distortion or without hearing yourself good enough. btw: A wireless mic can make a world of difference (it it's a good one off course ; ])

-the fact that you got to let the music breed.

-an mc has to represent the crowd, not only himself. But bare in mind that a lyricis writes rhymes based on his own life, so you can't rhyme without some I's.

-it's all about the combination, not just an dj or just an mc::: they can both ruin a set: it ain't only mc who can cause damage to your eardrums...

-More than one mc can bring a supreme extra to a party, but they have to give one and each other nuff space to do their thing. + keep in mind that an mc is mostley yearning to rhyme when he hears a great tune: now image you're an mc and your booked in the uk::: you can be on stage for let's say 2 hrs, together with 5 other mc;;; no wonder they fill in each tiny bit of space in a set + sometime they seem to fight to be able to show their skills; I think you should blame the organizers of the event for this, not the mc's itself::: but I can understand this one's kinda hard to get if you're not an mc yourself ; ]

Also thnx for the positive feedback::: any suggestions?: let me know!; new ideas are always welcome! But no mather what: as an mc you can only try to find a suitable compromise, depending on the night itself, and that's what I'm tryin' to do; And if I ever go to far off course::: feel free to come over and kick my ass, but if you do: be prepared to take up the mic, and show us how it's supposed to be done:::

greetings,

d

__
www.dedkob.com

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Mc D.O.C.: 12-05-2004 00:34.

12-05-2004 00:32
Flashtunes

Helpfulness rating: 

nah DOC , ain't no way we could ever do it better , we were just joking aorund a bit , going deeper into the skibadee got punched in the face story Wink

__
12-05-2004 09:44 Homepage of basslicious
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by basslicious
nah DOC , ain't no way we could ever do it better , we were just joking aorund a bit , going deeper into the skibadee got punched in the face story Wink

No swet: that wasn't meant as an attack at all;;; I just wanted to point out, that dnb mc-ing ain't as easy at it seems to be. + Its just one of my general beliefs that it's easy to critisize, so if you do: it's best to have an alternative at hand::: I ain't pointin' at anybody in personal, just droppin' my opinion as an mc... ; ]

__
www.dedkob.com
12-05-2004 10:18
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

It's proven again: DOC knows what he's doing Big Grin

I might come and kick your ass, but only to say hi, not to kick you off the stage Tongue

And if there's more than one MC: they should be tuned in to each other very well, and it'll still be hard I think. Having more than two makes doing a good MC job virtually impossible I guess

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-05-2004 10:24 Homepage of Surya
Mc D.O.C.
Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya

And if there's more than one MC: they should be tuned in to each other very well, and it'll still be hard I think. Having more than two makes doing a good MC job virtually impossible I guess

Yes indeed: cause it only takes 1 mc to fuck up an entire flow (flow: in this case; the sum of the dj(s) + several mc's) So let's say you got a back to back containing 2 dj's and 3 mc's, and 1 mc fucks up... the entire set might be fucked.

On the other had: if all the mc's can take turns + let the music breed every now and then, it can be a supreme session!

__
www.dedkob.com
12-05-2004 10:59
ripon ripon is a male
Cool Steppa

quote:
just wanted to point out, that dnb mc-ing ain't as easy at it seems to be

I never insinuated that it was easy, Im sure its extremely difficult, my point is that I dont even care if its hard or easy, I dont think MCs should be there at all, I dont see the need for them (I mean this in the nicest of ways, not trying to start any beef or anything, just my opinion Bigup )
12-05-2004 11:00
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Mc D.O.C.
On the other had: if all the mc's can take turns + let the music breed every now and then, it can be a supreme session!

Yup, I guess thats the only way to do it right when there's more than one MC: take turns. Like you did with Futureline on Nightscapes last year (god, was I glad when you took over for a few minutes!!! that guy just rambled on and on and on and on and on)

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-05-2004 11:05 Homepage of Surya
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by ripon
quote:
just wanted to point out, that dnb mc-ing ain't as easy at it seems to be

I never insinuated that it was easy, Im sure its extremely difficult, my point is that I dont even care if its hard or easy, I dont think MCs should be there at all, I dont see the need for them (I mean this in the nicest of ways, not trying to start any beef or anything, just my opinion Bigup )

They're not needed indeed, but I like an good MC for a set or max 2 sets, it CAN add to the vibe imo. But only the good ones, and seems like there's not too much of those Frown

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-05-2004 11:07 Homepage of Surya
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » the classic MC DJ Combination