drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » In the Studio: Icicle production tips
Go to the bottom of this page In the Studio: Icicle production tips
Author
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

taken from: http://www.datatransmission.co.uk/features512.aspx

In The Studio: Icicle
Written By: BenGomori

It’s said by many that drum & bass is probably the hardest of all the dance music to produce, with such intricate percussion, high levels of automation and unforgiving bass demands. Dutch producer Icicle knows this all too well, but years of practise have enabled him to become one of the scene’s most talented producers, with a slew of releases for the genre’s finest labels (Soul:r, Critical, Med School, Shogun Audio, Ram, C.I.A., Renegade Hardware) under his belt in the last 3 years. Throw in the fact that he’s been working on projects in other genres, and he’s ideal for our studio tips feature. So pay attention people – and if any of that jargon goes over your head, get your Google on!

Samples

First off, especially when making music such as drum & bass, dubstep or hip-hop, you need to have a decent collection of sounds. Anything from sample CDs with drum hits, synth hits, pads or sound design textures is very useful and you will have a place to start from rather than to make everything from scratch which is possible but very time consuming.

Reason

Personally, I’ll sketch out a tune in Reason first. I’m generally able to get all the basics down within an hour or two. The good thing is you can do this with a laptop and headphones while travelling or away from home. I still prefer the Reason drum computer and the Thor synth to many of the plug-in alternatives.

Rewire

Once I’ve got a good vibe going in Reason I will rewire the tune through Logic. There are many online tutorials on the internet explaining how to do this - just Google ‘rewire through Logic’ or search YouTube. This should really only take you 2 minutes and makes the Reason multiple outputs correspond with a chosen number of auxiliary channels on your Logic mixer.

Logic

When I get my Reason tracks playing through Logic the real processing can begin. Especially the reverb and some filters are miles apart from the Reason standard FX. My favourite plug-ins include PSP, Ohm, Camel Audio and the channel strips I can runs off my SSL Duende. For sub, FX-y stuff and even kicks, I use the default sound in the EXS24 a lot. I personally hate the way you have to set up instruments and prefer other samplers, but for basic sine wave manipulation, it’s perfect.

Drums

My drums usually consist of a basic kick and snare, sometimes old funk loops or techno type glitchy drum loops with everything from rides, shakers and extra hi-hats over the top. For the main kick and snare, don’t layer too much. A kick (or any drum hit) has a distinct musical pitch. Especially with layering kicks, the chances of getting phase cancellation in transients are really high and it will take away from the impact. So if your kick sounds weak, just keep looking for a better one.

Bass

Most of my bass is made in the reason Thor synth and then processed in Logic over multiple channels and buses. Basic steps in making bass include multiple oscillators with minute changes in pitch to get movement, distinct filter movements, saturation or full-on distortion with phaser or chorus type modulation at the end. Because said types of modulation introduce stereo movement in your sound, and stereo low frequency movement will destroy a vinyl cutting machine, you will always have to split your channel afterwards into a sub mono bus and stereo mid and hi bus. I roll the sub bus off at around 150 Hz to be safe.

Music

I like to write a lot of the music myself rather than using sampled pads etc. although there’s nothing wrong with that. Once you find a set of synthesisers you like and understand, you will have and almost limitless supply of sound. A stab for instance is easy to make; play a chord in a synth, keep the envelope short and punchy and put an envelope controlled LP-filter over it with again punchy values. Play around with the envelopes to get it right.

Busing

Like described under the bass section, busing is essential for sub, but it’s also a lot of fun for beats. With beats, after having a processed channel of kick and snare and for instance hi and mid range percussion, busing them together to one buss with a little bit (or tons!) of limiting can be the final touch. Your beats will sound more coherent and not just like a kick and snare with some loops on top. Also use the (pre-)sends on bass or music to create slightly different, parallel process routes on top to create a more thick sound.

Outboard processing

A final and advanced stage is outboard processing. To do it right you’ll need to invest in your studio a lot - but it will set your music apart that last final bit. I used to use a Mackie mixing desk for overdriving midrange sound but have found I now get better results with especially Ohm plug-ins. Outboard compression on the other hand is amazing. I use a TLaudio valve compressor for beats, or sometimes even on the master to get that analogue warmth the extra harmonics from a valve circuit provide when overdriving them a little. Also the responsiveness of hardware compressors seems unique to me and when using them at their limits there will be no little glitches.

Keep going

Apart from all the technical stuff, the most important thing to remember is to just keep going. When you want to make music and you know it for sure, you will make that killer tune. Within a year or within 50, all it takes is time. A recognisable sound is not something you can learn but have to develop from your own taste, so put in the hours. There’s no shortcuts to be learnt from me or anyone!

__

14-01-2010 12:45 Homepage of Ketz
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3011.jpg

Registration Date: 28-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

nice one bro Bigup
21-01-2010 01:06
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

big! Rinse

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

21-01-2010 01:35 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Dauntless Dauntless is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 29-10-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Hey, thanks for the up. Really good to see Icicle giving out the love.

Peace

dauntless

__
Check out DnBBeats.com for Drum n Bass Production Madness.
For whats up with Drum n Bass in Sydney check out SydneyFriction.com
22-01-2010 02:00 Homepage of Dauntless
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Respect!

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-01-2010 13:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

wicked stuff

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
27-01-2010 22:26
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Thanks for that!

__
SAVE THE SL1200
31-01-2010 20:34
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » In the Studio: Icicle production tips