drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » old school kick creation (reason 4) need help
Go to the bottom of this page old school kick creation (reason 4) need help
Author

Registration Date: 28-11-2009

hello all!

I have listen lot of drum n bass, jungle track, and i decided to make my own track.
I went there to rab some info about making good beat, it was very helpfull Wink

Now i have a question about kicks ( i searched in the forum but i didnt find a good answers to my interrogations): I use reason 4 and making beat with redrum, and i want to creat an old school kick a lil punchy like you can hear here at the begin of the track:old skool jungle

i have used dr rex and advanced sampler to slice some loop and its funny Smile but now i want to creat my own kicks. i guess i need to use a compressor (m class) and what else? i need EQ too

sadly i watched a tuto on youtube on how to make this sort of kick but user removed the video, and i didnt get reason in the past Frown

I m a bit lost, if someone can help me ( sorry for my english im a beginner in shakespear language)

Edit: i forget to mention i got some sample of 808 kick but i dont think they are pretty good than the original, it can help i think

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by nathanos21: 10-01-2010 12:13.

10-01-2010 12:06
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

download some decent breaks, and use the them for your drums. you could layer an 808 kik with them. but all the old skool jungle tunes use breaks. search for the amen break to start you off.
10-01-2010 12:58
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

theres a lot you can do with just the 808. you can turn it into a sub bass even but you need the kick. try cutting off the sub frequencies off it (at around 80 hertz) then distorting it. reverbating it is also welcome but you gotta do it subtle, and before the distortion

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
10-01-2010 13:15 Homepage of cynik
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

hey pal,
that kick you hear in that video is from the 'Amen' break ...
I'll explain it to you in case you don't know.
The Amen is used commonly in old school; what the musicians would do is pitch up everything; bass kick, snares, hi-hats etcetera, and if you listen to artists such as Foul Play then you'll notice that they added flanging to their beats as well.
I'll send you the Amen kit in email if you want it!

Here's a site that you should find useful: http://www.junglebreaks.co.uk/

__
CtMc Cool
10-01-2010 20:08
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I think you mean the bass sound and you think it is a kickdrum from hardcore-style music, but it isn't. It's a square bass, pitched down and a fillter envelope that slowly opens. The drums are a simple amen break.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-01-2010 20:32 Homepage of BattleDrone
nathanos21

i know the amen break i got a clear sample of it, i will slice it to sample each drum.

What do you mean by cutting off the sub frequencies around 80hz? can i do it with soundforge by example?

thanx guys for your light, it' s very helpfull for me and more clear Wink
10-01-2010 22:02
Paracyte Paracyte is a male
Crazy Bouncin Sinusoid

images/avatars/avatar-2331.jpg

Registration Date: 07-12-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hi

yes u can ! Wink

Just open the eq plugin and cut down around 80hz. best if you don't do that on the whole loop and only mark the kick.

hope that helps.

__
My Soundcloud
11-01-2010 02:44
nathanos21

i saw some tutorials about EQ with high pass and low pass filter i understand better now. thx for help Wink
11-01-2010 22:35
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » old school kick creation (reason 4) need help