drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Monitors... which ones?
Go to the bottom of this page Monitors... which ones?
Author
Mr. Tuff

images/avatars/avatar-2867.gif

Registration Date: 26-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Well, i've been roaming various forums for hours now in search of some useful information on monitors. So far I am heading in the direction of KRK, either RP6 or RP8. KRKs seem to have a lot of good write ups BUT, I have seen a few bad also. I would ideally like the monitors to have an audible and responsive lower end of the spectrum, but flat as possible over all sound. this is why i'm looking at the RP8s. At the same time I am concerned about the space i'm in being a bit too small to house these speakers, so maybe RP6s. If anybody owns a set of these speakers or similar specs, size and pricewise then I would be very greatful of an oppinion and a little advice. Thanks in advance Dnb.be ppz, Tuff.

__
Huh
08-01-2010 01:29 Homepage of TuffDread
Pure_bordem
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2953.jpg

Registration Date: 27-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 

general rule I follow is not to buy any monitors with cones smaller than 8 inches as anything smaller wont reproduce lower end accurately, have you looked into the HS-80s? I have a pair and they are beautifully flat and clear

http://rainbowguitars.com/recording/yama...r-pair/HS80M/YH

also if you end up buying them, get them from that link, when you put it in the car the price should be in the 500s for a PAIR and brand new. I ain't seen them cheaper anywhere else (got mine here like half the country away haha)

__
FL Studio, get it here for 10% off
08-01-2010 01:40
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by Pure_bordem
general rule I follow is not to buy any monitors with cones smaller than 8 inches as anything smaller wont reproduce lower end accurately

on the flip side of that larger cones won't be able to reproduce mid range as accurately which is arguably more important as the mid range is where there will be more more detail in your mixes.

something to think about Wink

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

08-01-2010 09:32 Homepage of D2o
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Pure_bordem
general rule I follow is not to buy any monitors with cones smaller than 8 inches as anything smaller wont reproduce lower end accurately, have you looked into the HS-80s? I have a pair and they are beautifully flat and clear

If you look at "producer masterclass" videos on youtube you'll notice that all DnB producers that are featured there have rather small monitors. Deffo 5 or 6" max.
You can compose decent tunes on them if you know what a good tune sounds like on those cans. The finishing touch (which is missing on a lot of non-pro music) is done in a studio with monitors that cost as much as a decent car.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
08-01-2010 10:53 Homepage of BattleDrone
TuffDread TuffDread is a male
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks for the replys. Right now i'm thinking maybe get the Yamaha HS80M's (I have been looking at those and after I wrote that post about getting KRK's I swayed more towards the HS80M's) and then in a little while maybe get the KRK RP5's also? or stick with Yamaha and get HS50M's aswell as the 8" speakers. But as it stands i'm torn betweeen HS80M's and RP8's. Is there any points to takeaway about getting two sets of monitors set up ? Also does anybody have any views on the Mackie MR-8's?

__
Huh

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TuffDread: 08-01-2010 12:10.

08-01-2010 12:03 Homepage of TuffDread
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

KRK's are pretty cheap nowadays and are really flat, good for accurate mixiing but they lack in the low-end. Thats the problem you'll get with many cheaper speakers, a poor low-end. but ive got a set of Rokit 5's and they sound great imo, nice and accurate but do lack in the sub department.

If you've got the cash id suggest the Mackie HR824's: http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/ma...-monitor--45350

best thing to do is take a couple tunes down to a shop, i.e. a film score, dance tune and an acoustic tune, and get them to test speakers out for you so you can judge for yourself how they sound.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
08-01-2010 12:05 Homepage of Sephiroth
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

They are a little expensive for me at this time, i'm serious about producing music but really just do not have 450 quid to spend on 1 speaker Frown shame cuz i would definately have them lol. I'm thinking the yamaha's so far, 8" set then later on also get a 5" pair to add to the mids. A big difference I see between the KRK's and the HM's is the Air port hole, it's on the front on the KRKs and back on the Yamahas. This is going to make a difference surely because of reflections?

And could someone also clarify exactly what B-Stock means? I got a rough idea.

__
Huh

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by TuffDread: 08-01-2010 12:21.

08-01-2010 12:13 Homepage of TuffDread
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I think B-stock is the product stock which has been returned immediately upon opening. They've been opened, the quality is most probably not hindered, and is a fair deal.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
08-01-2010 13:11 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

In the end the "KRK or Yamaha or xxx" question isn't a big deal, you see a lot of yellow (KRK) woofers in production masterclass videos, but you also see a lot of white (Yamaha) woofers too.
It's not like one of these is bad and the other one is good.

I have Yamaha's (8") and am pretty satisfied with them but I also have an old Sennheiser headphone (HD480II, over 10 years old, falls apart most of the time) which I use for double checking. If it sounds good on the monitors and good on the headphone I'm pretty sure it's ok. No need to buy a second set of monitors "per se". That would be a thing for a studio where mastering engineers are at work.

Buy either brand and you'll notice after some time (you'll need to get used to them, listen to a lot of different music on them) that you'll notice a lot problems in your productions much better. I do not depend on them for the full 100% though, due to room accoustics which are super-bad in my case I often get the impression that there are huge amounts of subbass in the mixdown which then seem to be missing on the headphones.

Whatever you buy, do listen to your tunes in different environments and put them on your ipod, car radio, kitchen radio, whatever you use to listen to a lot of music, if it sounds good on all of these you can be sure.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
08-01-2010 16:38 Homepage of BattleDrone
Vectrex Vectrex is a male
Benzin

images/avatars/avatar-2991.jpg

Registration Date: 05-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I just bought my first studio monitor set yesterday! I now am the proud owner of some Yamaha HS80m speakers! Big Grin

They're 3 months old and I bought them for € 300! Pleased

They sound awesome! And when I say awesome I mean they sound very flat and clear as they should be.

There were a few pages regarding "recommended monitors" in the latest computers music special "fix your mix". I do remember some like the "Genelec 6010 APM" (which are a pretty good deal - think you can buy some from € 200/piece) and my Yamaha's Big Grin . I'll check the magazine again tommorow and let you know what else they recommend.

You also might want to check this: http://www.musictechmag.co.uk/mtm/studio-monitors

Greets,
Vectrex

myspace.com/vectrexmusic

__
Vectrex on Soundcloud
Vectrex on Facebook

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Vectrex: 09-01-2010 02:05.

08-01-2010 18:03 Homepage of Vectrex
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

nice, i was looking at the yamaha hs monitors when i was getting my monitors as well as the genelecs, but decided to go for mackie hr624s. if you was worried about the low end of the krks, you could always get the krk sub. Im still thinking about getting a krk sub at some point, think they run alongside other monitors wouldnt they? out of intrest does anybody have one and would you recomend them?

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
09-01-2010 19:16
Pure_bordem
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

I personally have 0 issues reproducing mids on the HS 80s as alot of rock music I mix tends to be more mid heavy and be careful about adding subs, unless you know what your doing you could potentially get some nasty phase cancellation, and yes go to your local store that would carry monitors and bring a test CD, something that you know how it should sound and compare and contrast. Remember, go for clarity when picking monitors, not OMG DUDE LIKE THAT BASS IS RAWRSZORS!!!!11!!!!1!

__
09-01-2010 21:10
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

im pretty happy with my yam hs 80's.
im still looking for an original pair of ns10's tho,
(just because i still love the top end of the ns's).

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
12-01-2010 13:58
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks for all the advice guys. looks like quite a few people have the yamahas and as you say battledrone, once you get acustomed to a certain sound you will realise what sounds good. Think i'm gonna be getting the yamahas.

__
Huh
12-01-2010 22:25 Homepage of TuffDread
Pure_bordem
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

telling you dude, get them from rainbowguitars.com I aint found new ones cheaper anywhere else

__
13-01-2010 08:55
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

@ tuff dred.
go listen to lots of monitors 1st m8,
just because theres a few of us who went for one option
(albeit for different reasons),
it might not make it your option.
the reason i went for the yams was,
1/ due to budget of £400.
2/ the hs's sounded a lot better than the krks i tested.

now if budget wasnt an option then i probably would've gone for the mackies,
but they were £200 over my original budget (but i did give the mackies a good rinisin when i demo'd them).

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
13-01-2010 10:38
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

Pure_bordem, I can't get them from that site mate because I live in England and it's a US site. It's ok ordering them but then when UPS deliver them I have to pay to import them, like vat or something, it's expensive as I found out when I ordered my sound card thinking I had a right bargain. but I found them B-stock free delivery for £360 which is £30/40 cheaper than anywhere else, then postage. But don't know if I really wanna get b-stock, hhmmm. Was thinking they might be worn in already, but then they might be worn out Confused

__
Huh
13-01-2010 20:06 Homepage of TuffDread
Pure_bordem
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

technically there shouldn't be any real issues with with used items however you dont know if they had fuse problems, if the previous owner blasted them to all hell and back constantly, etc...your call m8 =\

__
14-01-2010 23:28
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

i got my monitors from andertons in guildford, they off 0% finiance too which was handy Happy . Personally if i was you i wouldnt order them with delivery, i wouldnt trust the person delivering them not to knock them or drop them etc, i would get them somewhere within travelling distance so you can pick them up.

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
15-01-2010 22:37
Mr. Tuff

Helpfulness rating: 

So I decided to get the Yams HS80m's sound sweet as! only had a little tester tho. I'll get back and let you know what I find. And they cost me £300 second hand, no problems, not been blasted to high hell. A bargain id say.

__
Huh
06-04-2010 10:47 Homepage of TuffDread
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Monitors... which ones?