drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » beefing up sub bass
Go to the bottom of this page beefing up sub bass
Author
Bone Man

Registration Date: 14-11-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

my subs tend to sound a bit boring sometimes. what processing do people use to enhance it? ive been playing about with some chorus which seems to have helped, any more tips......?

__
www.soundcloud.com/bone-man
21-12-2009 16:45 Homepage of bm84
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

Layers - process, export, import, process again, export, import etc ...
Cut all the high end.
Maybe boost some of the low end.
Add a slight bit of distortion. (very slight).
Maybe layer other waveforms ontop.

__

21-12-2009 16:50 Homepage of Sentinel
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

For just the sub you don't necessarily need any fancy techniques. Some slight distortion or overdrive is what you're propably looking for. Smile

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
21-12-2009 17:50 Homepage of Puzzle
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3011.jpg

Registration Date: 28-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

try 3 different sine waves with a 3 octave spread. that seems to make it pretty thick.

i am having troubles with my subs too lately, it is too low or something cause wen my sub hits it drowns out the other frequencies. but if i try to move the bass notes up an octave it is too high. i cant seem to make a really heavy subbass that is low enough yet will not make the whole track seem muddy. Knownothing
21-12-2009 18:17
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by kanibalboy
try 3 different sine waves with a 3 octave spread. that seems to make it pretty thick.

i am having troubles with my subs too lately, it is too low or something cause wen my sub hits it drowns out the other frequencies. but if i try to move the bass notes up an octave it is too high. i cant seem to make a really heavy subbass that is low enough yet will not make the whole track seem muddy. Knownothing

Either your mixdown lacks precision or you have too much compression on the master bus. Or both.

And I’d rather not layer differently pitched sine waves on top of each other. The sub will hit at diverse spots, therefore will be less controllable, sound strange and clash with elements in the area above 100 herz.

The key is, as mentioned, to creat additional harmonics by processing the wave with distortion/saturation or whatever. Compression (the amount depends on taste) is also useful.
21-12-2009 18:43 Homepage of Gregg
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

waves r-bass is nice to get a bit more from your sub.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
21-12-2009 18:48
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
try 3 different sine waves with a 3 octave spread. that seems to make it pretty thick. :

lol hate to break it to ya man but sines spread over three octaves is where your going wrong, its no wonder at all that it drowns the rest of the mix out if its taking up 3x as much space, its simple, 1 sine wave, hp around 30 hz compress it and add saturation/distortion. using a keytracked filter with a minimal amount of resonance with the filter positioned so it has an effect on every note you play can really add some oomph ! Drummer
21-12-2009 18:59
Pure_bordem
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2953.jpg

Registration Date: 27-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Ide say it depends on what kind of sound you want in your sub. I personally like a sub thats either very round or has a slight acoustic quality to it (granted its slight). Also remember, a true sub bass is at the very freaking bottom of human hearing and we as humans dont hear evenly across all frequencies which is why subs can tend to sound softer. I say use some compression and really fine tuned EQ to bring it out but not conflict with other parts.

__
FL Studio, get it here for 10% off
21-12-2009 20:31
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

don't feel as though you HAVE to use complicated techniques when it comes to sub bass, at the end of the day its a simple sound.. for me its just:

single sine wave > EQ > low pass (sometimes worth doing if u have any clicks etc when u hit a note) > heavy compression

thats it Happy the "beef" can be attained with the compression and possibly a small boost around 40-50hz

oh yeah and as Demure said cut out anything below 30hz, you don't need that Wink

__

21-12-2009 20:35 Homepage of Ketz
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3011.jpg

Registration Date: 28-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

yep, i played around with sum of these tips, much more controllable subbass with only the one sine and we bit of distortion gave it some umph.
22-12-2009 04:29
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

Vary the key of your tune aswell. I often write in C on my midi keyboard simply because I can find it/ get confused with notes and shit, but anyway this often means the sub sounds flabby or not strong enough. Just by shifting it up a couple of semitones can make it sound ten times better.. It does mean you have to transpose all the elements in your tune if you have them written already tho. Worth it tho for a sick sub Big Grin

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
29-12-2009 11:38 Homepage of c_ctrl
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by demure
quote:
try 3 different sine waves with a 3 octave spread. that seems to make it pretty thick. :

lol hate to break it to ya man but sines spread over three octaves is where your going wrong, its no wonder at all that it drowns the rest of the mix out if its taking up 3x as much space, its simple, 1 sine wave, hp around 30 hz compress it and add saturation/distortion. using a keytracked filter with a minimal amount of resonance with the filter positioned so it has an effect on every note you play can really add some oomph ! Drummer

Demure, can you recommend any keytracked filter? That'd be nice to have.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
29-12-2009 12:26 Homepage of Muad'Dib
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

hmm, you should get one as part of your synth, i dont think you can just get a keytracked vst filter, though i may be wrong. massive has one, so does thor for reason. i reckon albino too. and most of these synths can be used as an insert so that would be your best bet. but you would still have to send midi notes to it so that the filter could respond.
29-12-2009 18:14
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

The secret for a good sub is hitting the sweet spot and having a bit of low mids for colouring. Keep the hi-mids free for other stuff and keep the 100-200Hz range clean for kick and snare. A sub doesn't have to be all that phat.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-12-2009 21:13 Homepage of BattleDrone
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

chorus will only really accent sub if it has enough hi freqencies... limit it, distort it, compress it, add a vintage warmer, do something...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

30-12-2009 01:10
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
A sub doesn't have to be all that phat.

i call bullshit.. sub does need to be phat...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

30-12-2009 01:11
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
The secret for a good sub is hitting the sweet spot and having a bit of low mids for colouring. Keep the hi-mids free for other stuff and keep the 100-200Hz range clean for kick and snare. A sub doesn't have to be all that phat.
your right it doesnt but it does need a nice tone Big Grin
30-12-2009 01:40
c_ctrl c_ctrl is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2599.jpg

Registration Date: 02-06-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

OK I don't know how this would work but you know how synths have a modulation system that allows you to modulate say Cutoff by parameter "x" which is usually an envelope or LFO.. if you routed cutoff to be modulated by note velocity and then adjusted the velocity on the piano roll depending on pitch to create a sort of home brewed sub filter that hits hard on every note... do you see what I'm getting at? This might need me to try it before I start spouting shite.. Drummer

__
DeCode & Roary Soundcloud
30-12-2009 02:06 Homepage of c_ctrl
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by c_ctrl
OK I don't know how this would work but you know how synths have a modulation system that allows you to modulate say Cutoff by parameter "x" which is usually an envelope or LFO.. if you routed cutoff to be modulated by note velocity and then adjusted the velocity on the piano roll depending on pitch to create a sort of home brewed sub filter that hits hard on every note... do you see what I'm getting at? This might need me to try it before I start spouting shite.. Drummer
yeah but note pitch not note velocity.
30-12-2009 05:01
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Filtered square waves make good subs imo.
30-12-2009 12:01
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » beefing up sub bass