drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Laptop earthing problem
Go to the bottom of this page Laptop earthing problem
Author
unregistered
Hey guys,
Im experiencing a constant huuuuuum sound when my monitors (yahama HS50M) are connected to my laptop. It stops when I disconnect the power adapter of my laptop, so im pretty sure its an earthing problem. I tough that an external audio interface could fix this problem but I tried with an E-Mu 0202 USB and I still had that anoying huuuuum sound.

Anyone had the same kind of problems? or a solution?
Any help is greatly appreciated.
13-12-2009 10:44
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

I've had the problem of laptops getting fried on me over here in spain cause the plugs don't have fuses like the plugs in the UK.

I went out and bought a UPS (uninterruptable Power supply) which I run my laptop through as it keeps the amount of electricity going into it constant no matter whether the power dips or rises.

Stopped this laptop from burning out in only 6 months like the one I had sent over from the UK.

Should sort your earthing problem whatsit out too.
Only cost me about €50 for a decent enough cheap one. Smile

Safe.

__

13-12-2009 14:16 Homepage of Sentinel
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Try un-wiring the earth lead in the plugs on your monitors?

If they are wired to the laptop all the time they should still technically be earthed, right?

Could probably do with someone a more qualified than me to verify that this would work safely though! Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

13-12-2009 19:15 Homepage of D2o
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You probably have an earth loop. This is caused by interconnecting pieces of equipment that do not share a common ground.

You're probably plugging your laptop in a power socket that is on another circuit. Put all your audio equipment + the computer and everything that is connected to it on the same wall socket.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-12-2009 20:12 Homepage of thechronic
den_bert
unregistered
Bigup Thx.
I managed to reduce the volume of the huuum. Its still there but its stays at a constant low volume now. First I tried thechronic's sollution but it didnt change anything to the hum. Then I tried several transformers and wires but that didnt had any effect. The ground lift switch on my usb audio interface didnt fix it either.
I became a little desperate at that time Big Grin , and I connected my laptops adapter to another wall socket 20 meters and 2 rooms further from where my monitors are plugged in, and that removed a big part of the hum. But I think will buy a device like sentinel proposed when I have the money, It seems like a better solution :p.
14-12-2009 17:23
eyeball_paul

Registration Date: 10-06-2009

try one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp...77016bc12fe49d4
23-12-2009 22:02
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Laptop earthing problem