drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Cubase » Can anyone do anything special with the new cubase 5?
Go to the bottom of this page Can anyone do anything special with the new cubase 5?
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3011.jpg

Registration Date: 28-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

i just gt cubase 5 installed. i been working with nuendo before but i read alot of cool stuff about cubase 5. just wondering if any of you are doin anything cool with it.
04-12-2009 21:40
additive additive is a male
DROP IT!

images/avatars/avatar-2973.png

Registration Date: 09-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

my favourite new thing is to use the cubase 5 compressor as a sidechain ducker. send your drum track to the sidechain of the compressor over your pads for instance and it gives you a nice big feeling where the drums are so powerful that they make the pads inaudible while they beat.

Other things are improved workflows; using folder tracks is easier, and also setting track presets for vst's on tracks and then loading the same preset on other tracks is simple.

Another cool thing is the fact that you can drag inserts up and down to set them earlier or later in the mix. Say for instance you have a compressor on insert 4, and an eq on insert 2 and you want to reverse them, you can drag the "i2" to the "i4" etc.

__
http://www.additivemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/additive-music/497601575363?ref=ts
05-12-2009 00:59 Homepage of additive
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

huh, i will check out the possibilities with that compressor. i usually always use reason for my drums n rewire. i will check what that compression i my rewire tracks. do you do your drum tracks in cubase? like with audio? i dont know how else to do beats exept with redrum, nnxt in reason, (wich thats mostly all i use reason for great). these days is drums rewired into nuendo, (cubase 5 now), also for thor, but i like my vst's wich is why i love rewire!
05-12-2009 03:24
Vectrex Vectrex is a male
Benzin

images/avatars/avatar-2991.jpg

Registration Date: 05-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Really love cubase 5! came from SX3 few weeks ago. What an improvement! I think the biggest improvement in cubase 5 is the integrated "melodyne"-like VariAudio. Which enables you to pitch correct audio. Although you won't use it that much unless you work with vocals. It can be pretty handy sometimes though.

Most important and interesting features are allready mentioned by additive. Thing I like the most the fact I can now change effects place in the effects chain (and that I have some new effects like the magnificent transient designer). And indeed being able to sidechain without having to use a quadro channel is pretty handy. Tongue

I always do my drum tracks in audio. Makes me feel like having more control of them. I can pitch shift them, stretch them, shorten them, reverse them, process them with eq, compression, transient shapers, I can add reverb (although this goes most of the time using send channels) etc. And then after all this just bounce them and start over again. Just till they sound as I want. Wink

If you really want to use midi for your drums, I would recommend NI Battery. You can load it as vsti (and so you don't have to rewire) and it can do a lot more than reason's redrum.

Vectrex

myspace.com/vectrexmusic

__
Vectrex on Soundcloud
Vectrex on Facebook

10-12-2009 01:56 Homepage of Vectrex
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah, Battery! i should check that out. cause i actually just learned how to slice up a break rightr in cubase then load the slices into groove agent then make a midi track out of it. wich is pretty cool. before i would always use recycle to slice a break and then just use it as rex hits. but i have had battery installed on my machine and now it makes alot more sense as to how to use it.

werd.
13-12-2009 21:01
DROP IT!

Helpfulness rating: 

yep, i use battery 3.06 - which by the way is 64 bit compatible.

__
13-01-2010 07:15 Homepage of additive
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by additive
my favourite new thing is to use the cubase 5 compressor as a sidechain ducker. send your drum track to the sidechain of the compressor over your pads for instance and it gives you a nice big feeling where the drums are so powerful that they make the pads inaudible while they beat.

Other things are improved workflows; using folder tracks is easier, and also setting track presets for vst's on tracks and then loading the same preset on other tracks is simple.

Another cool thing is the fact that you can drag inserts up and down to set them earlier or later in the mix. Say for instance you have a compressor on insert 4, and an eq on insert 2 and you want to reverse them, you can drag the "i2" to the "i4" etc.

That's 3 features that have been introduced in FL studio about 3 years ago.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
13-01-2010 10:13 Homepage of BattleDrone
Vectrex Vectrex is a male
Benzin

images/avatars/avatar-2991.jpg

Registration Date: 05-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:

Sidechain support is new in FL Studio 9. Controlling the volume fader using a controller ain't sidechaining. Tweaking the volume fader doesn't reduce the dynamics.. Wink And there is no such thing as folder tracks in FL Studio (as far as I know). It's not the same as a sub buss. The last thing about being able to change the position of the insert effects is correct! Happy

Greets,
Vectrex

myspace.com/vectrexmusic

__
Vectrex on Soundcloud
Vectrex on Facebook

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Vectrex: 13-01-2010 13:51.

13-01-2010 13:51 Homepage of Vectrex
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by Benzin
quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:

Sidechain support is new in FL Studio 9. Controlling the volume fader using a controller ain't sidechaining. Tweaking the volume fader doesn't reduce the dynamics.. Wink And there is no such thing as folder tracks in FL Studio (as far as I know). It's not the same as a sub buss. The last thing about being able to change the position of the insert effects is correct! Happy

Greets,
Vectrex

myspace.com/vectrexmusic

You don't need to tweak the volume fader in FL... there are other ways (pre V9 that is). But anyway, this is a Cubase thread so I'll shut op Happy

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
13-01-2010 16:12 Homepage of BattleDrone
Dauntless Dauntless is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 29-10-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I've had C5 installed for a while now but to be honest I don't really use any of the new features that have come with it. I've played with the drum grid/groove agent1/and variaudio etc and they're all good but I believe in just keeping stuff simple and nothing beats making beats in audio. Sure every now and again I use midi for drums but these days not very often at all. With time and plenty of practice you get to know what to do and how to do it to get your drums/bass right.

Peace out

dauntless

__
Check out DnBBeats.com for Drum n Bass Production Madness.
For whats up with Drum n Bass in Sydney check out SydneyFriction.com
01-03-2010 16:48 Homepage of Dauntless
DROP IT!

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dauntless
I've had C5 installed for a while now but to be honest I don't really use any of the new features that have come with it. I've played with the drum grid/groove agent1/and variaudio etc and they're all good but I believe in just keeping stuff simple and nothing beats making beats in audio. Sure every now and again I use midi for drums but these days not very often at all. With time and plenty of practice you get to know what to do and how to do it to get your drums/bass right.

Peace out

dauntless

MIDI all the way baby!

__
13-04-2010 17:16 Homepage of additive
simage
Simplicity is the key

Registration Date: 19-03-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

that depends Nick or should i call you mr. Hart Smile
I use my oxygen 49 just for triggering the sounds and effects that are included with Reason/logic (depends on what i work with)
BUT you have midi keyboards with integrated sounds that you can import into your daw so...
I just trigger them because it's the only thing my keyboard can do

__

13-04-2010 17:24
DROP IT!

Helpfulness rating: 

narr i generally use midi from the sequencer, rather than a controller. if i feel a melody that I can play, i'll play it on the keyboard and quantize it, but I don't have any sounds in my controller (besides a piano, hardsichord, organ etc)
Smile

and either Nick, or Mr Hart is fine :p

__
16-04-2010 06:59 Homepage of additive
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Cubase » Can anyone do anything special with the new cubase 5?