drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Hellos and Questions
Go to the bottom of this page Hellos and Questions
Author
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2953.jpg

Registration Date: 27-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hey im new here and semi newish to DnB production. Im currently a Audio/Music major at a 4 year school with a minor focus in digital media (drawing, 3D, etc). Im a drummer by trade as far as music goes so naturally I love DnB, but I also do keyboards, guitar, sing, etc.

Currently I use FL Studio as my primary DAW but I have worked in Logic, Reason, DP, etc. Now ive never done too much DnB writing/producing but its something I defiantly would want to do as such I need some starting direction.

What books/sites/tuts would everyone recommend?

As of now I can only find one book on general synthesis concepts that looks even decent (I know most of it, but not in "do this->get this" fashion)

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Synthesiz...ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

As said before, Im not new to concepts, what I need are how to's for technical things, anything musical related I got covered.

*Side note*
If anyone has any suggestions on making really liquid pads and sounds please say so, I find them to be the hardest to create personally

Thanks a bunch!

Bordem

__
FL Studio, get it here for 10% off
28-11-2009 07:11
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Hey mate Smile

This forum is a really good starting place for you, we have loads of useful threads about music and producing the stuff. The first thread you propably wanna take a look at is this:
FAQ / Knowledge Base (lots of links to production related information)

And yeah, welcome aboard! Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Puzzle: 28-11-2009 14:48.

28-11-2009 14:44 Homepage of Puzzle
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i got mixing techniques by paul white, aint read much of it but it seems ok, i have basic midi not to sure who its by but its published by the same people... smt, i aint ever read it so i couldnt comment on it and i also have one called home recording, its at my girlfriends at the moment so i couldnt tell you the author or the publisher, i have read most of it and would say if you are a beginner then it would be great but i didnt really get anything out of it. Im not much of a reader at all, never finish a book, but the smt range seem ok they are small books so good for taking around with you if you get a spare 5 min n want to have a little flick through. personally if i have a spare 5 min id rather have smoke than read lol. just looking on the back of mixing techniques it has the range of their books.... Studio, Live, Production, Recording, DJ, Software and i think do them in 3 different levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
28-11-2009 23:30
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

hi mate, before thinkin about spending some money on books etc it would be worth checking tutorials on dnb sites such as this and others. also U tube has looooooads of various video tutorials for everything from drums to synthesis to other techniques, all specific to whatever DAW u intend on using - so i'd strongly recomend u have a lil dig there as well Bigup

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ketz: 29-11-2009 01:01.

29-11-2009 01:01 Homepage of Ketz
Pure_bordem
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2953.jpg

Registration Date: 27-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

kool thanks guys! Yah mixing and general audio aint my issue (degree in audio engineering haha) so yah my thing is on synthesis were I need to catch up, I want to be able to avoid the "that sounds fruity, or sounds reasonish" pitfalls cause theyre all just tools its a matter of learning how to really use them but alas thats the trick right?

Does anyone have any recommendations on liquid pads? I cant think of any songs off the top of my head but its those kind of pads when you hear them you think water, acid, lava, etc. I know I could cheat and use a re synthesizer to get close but ide rather not. Ive played with resonance, volume, EQs, phase, and no matter what I do I cant quiet get the sound.

Bordem

__
FL Studio, get it here for 10% off
29-11-2009 19:36
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Hellos and Questions