drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » How to make cool sound in FL by using standard VST?
Go to the bottom of this page How to make cool sound in FL by using standard VST?
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 19-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I'm trying so hard to make unusual sound with standard vst and standard fx from mixer but when it is done, it's very very FL, i mean you can guess that i made it in FL Studio.

So i want to asking to all of you how to make cool sound with standard vst and standard fx without sampling or sth like that, cause i'm going to desperate now.

Cry Cry Cry
25-11-2009 23:48
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

WTH is "Sounding fruity"?

Use 3xosc. Sytrus is a great synth, too.
Use the help and read on these, then start making some sounds Wink

Welcome to the board.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
26-11-2009 03:26 Homepage of Muad'Dib
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

keep at em and dont give up on the fruity vst's cos they are very good tools

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

26-11-2009 14:14 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

My suggestion is to read up on synthesis and then look up tutorials about making basses, leads, pads, stabs, FX so you can put everything that you've read into context and start making some of your own sounds.

Personally I love making sounds from scratch. I think most DnB heads don't want to reinvent the wheel if they don't have to, so they use presets as a starting point and then modify them. I don't see anything wrong with this either, if you're too fed up with trying to make your own stuff you can always find samples (we have some on this very website).

You can also load presets and take a look at how a particular sound is made - but it is very important when doing this to learn what every button does on the synth you're trying to learn, or else you won't know what is going on when you're looking at a preset sound.

The 3xOsc is about as basic as you can get for synthesizing, it's a good tool to learn on, just don't expect massive sounds from it right away. Sytrus is a little more complex and difficult to learn on because it's a weird combination of FM synthesis and some other stuff.

Just keep in mind that production skill does not come over night, you need to spend a lot of time practicing and practicing. Famous Drum and Bass producers are famous for a reason, and it's because they've dedicated a lot of time to their craft.

Welcome to the board, these forums are a great tool to you, I suggest you use them! Bigup
26-11-2009 17:26
kamenlidel kamenlidel is a male
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

i mean so fruity, you can guess that its too ordinary.

i've using sytrus and 3osc, and i always change the base sound, but over and over you can guess that it made by FL

btw thx, i will practice harder.
26-11-2009 21:39
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
My suggestion is to read up on synthesis and then look up tutorials about making basses, leads, pads, stabs, FX so you can put everything that you've read into context and start making some of your own sounds.

Personally I love making sounds from scratch. I think most DnB heads don't want to reinvent the wheel if they don't have to, so they use presets as a starting point and then modify them. I don't see anything wrong with this either, if you're too fed up with trying to make your own stuff you can always find samples (we have some on this very website).

You can also load presets and take a look at how a particular sound is made - but it is very important when doing this to learn what every button does on the synth you're trying to learn, or else you won't know what is going on when you're looking at a preset sound.

The 3xOsc is about as basic as you can get for synthesizing, it's a good tool to learn on, just don't expect massive sounds from it right away. Sytrus is a little more complex and difficult to learn on because it's a weird combination of FM synthesis and some other stuff.

Just keep in mind that production skill does not come over night, you need to spend a lot of time practicing and practicing. Famous Drum and Bass producers are famous for a reason, and it's because they've dedicated a lot of time to their craft.

Welcome to the board, these forums are a great tool to you, I suggest you use them! Bigup

great suggestion, thx a lot man Big Grin
27-11-2009 02:38
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Just keep in mind that production skill does not come over night, you need to spend a lot of time practicing and practicing.

This. You really need to work hard to make some decent sounds.

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
27-11-2009 15:43 Homepage of Puzzle
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Exactly. Nothing is 'sounding Fruity' or 'sounding Reason'. You just didn't work it out enough.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
27-11-2009 17:58 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that are like, "FL Studio Techno" or whatever, and you listen to them and they sound like shit. They sound like "Fruity Loops", because none of the "YouTube producers" have spent very much time producing. And when I mean they haven't spent very much time producing, I mean they haven't been producing for five or more years.

They will create a sawtooth or square waveform lead on 3xOsc and use the built-in filter to cut off a couple frequencies, crank the resonance up, add horribly timed/unsynchronized delay, drown everything in reverb, have too much release on their lead so the notes bleed into each other, throw FX liberally onto the master (distortion etc. for "louder" sound), push their volume until its clipping, layer sounds that don't fit together without any EQ, have no variation, velocities are all the same, poor melodies, etc. etc.

But they're using Vengeance sound packs, so that means it sounds professional, right? Big Grin

In all honesty it's okay if you haven't spent very much time producing. It's taken me three years to get to a quality level I am proud of, and I still have a long ways to go. And it's perfectly okay to make mistakes like the examples I gave above - you just have to learn from your mistakes.

The best thing to do is post one song of yours here and get feedback. We will tell you how we think you can improve on your track, and if you take the advice into consideration, you can fix small mistakes like if your volume is clipping or whatnot. And with every little mistake you improve, you will get farther away from that "FL Sound".

Hell I'm still making mistakes, don't get discouraged!

A couple tips I can recommend to you are:
-If you're making a lead synth, you can make the lead more dynamic by increasing the Unison to 2 or 3 and adding a little bit of detune, this will make the sound much fatter.
-Reverb in moderation is good, it can give depth to a lead. The Reverb 2 plugin that comes with FL is great, and it has a visual component to the room size/diffusion to help you learn. Just don't reverb any low frequencies like a kick drum or subbass.
-You can also layer different sounds/synths together playing the same melody (or even harmonizing if you're badass Drummer ) to make an even more dynamic sound. EQ here is very important, infact EQ is one of the first things you should learn about - it is probably one of the most important things about getting a quality sound, staying away from that "FL sound".

Any body else have some basic tips for leads? I didn't go into FX but I've typed enough already..
27-11-2009 20:18
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Any body else have some basic tips for leads?

Don't overdo your leads. Actually, don't overdo anything. Simple is beautiful. Wink

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
27-11-2009 21:17 Homepage of Puzzle
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Originality doesn't come in boxes.
Keep trying and then try even more.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
27-11-2009 23:42 Homepage of BattleDrone
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
There are plenty of videos on YouTube that are like, "FL Studio Techno" or whatever, and you listen to them and they sound like shit. They sound like "Fruity Loops", because none of the "YouTube producers" have spent very much time producing. And when I mean they haven't spent very much time producing, I mean they haven't been producing for five or more years.

They will create a sawtooth or square waveform lead on 3xOsc and use the built-in filter to cut off a couple frequencies, crank the resonance up, add horribly timed/unsynchronized delay, drown everything in reverb, have too much release on their lead so the notes bleed into each other, throw FX liberally onto the master (distortion etc. for "louder" sound), push their volume until its clipping, layer sounds that don't fit together without any EQ, have no variation, velocities are all the same, poor melodies, etc. etc.

But they're using Vengeance sound packs, so that means it sounds professional, right? Big Grin

In all honesty it's okay if you haven't spent very much time producing. It's taken me three years to get to a quality level I am proud of, and I still have a long ways to go. And it's perfectly okay to make mistakes like the examples I gave above - you just have to learn from your mistakes.

The best thing to do is post one song of yours here and get feedback. We will tell you how we think you can improve on your track, and if you take the advice into consideration, you can fix small mistakes like if your volume is clipping or whatnot. And with every little mistake you improve, you will get farther away from that "FL Sound".

Hell I'm still making mistakes, don't get discouraged!

A couple tips I can recommend to you are:
-If you're making a lead synth, you can make the lead more dynamic by increasing the Unison to 2 or 3 and adding a little bit of detune, this will make the sound much fatter.
-Reverb in moderation is good, it can give depth to a lead. The Reverb 2 plugin that comes with FL is great, and it has a visual component to the room size/diffusion to help you learn. Just don't reverb any low frequencies like a kick drum or subbass.
-You can also layer different sounds/synths together playing the same melody (or even harmonizing if you're badass Drummer ) to make an even more dynamic sound. EQ here is very important, infact EQ is one of the first things you should learn about - it is probably one of the most important things about getting a quality sound, staying away from that "FL sound".

Any body else have some basic tips for leads? I didn't go into FX but I've typed enough already..

me too, 3 years i've spent for producing in FL and 1,5 years for making DnB, but is the different from the other, its difficult.

i'll post my song soon, cause its on project ^^

btw thx for the tips. Big Grin
28-11-2009 07:11
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
Exactly. Nothing is 'sounding Fruity' or 'sounding Reason'. You just didn't work it out enough.

i think so. Frown
28-11-2009 07:17
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » How to make cool sound in FL by using standard VST?