drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » That "Yuy Yuy" & "Wohw Wohw" sound (jump up bass question)
Go to the bottom of this page That "Yuy Yuy" & "Wohw Wohw" sound (jump up bass question)
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 16-11-2009

I wish I could find a song with it in to show you what I mean, but the title is pretty descriptive no? Big Grin

There are so many with the sound in, I just never catch the names when I hear them. It's in a lot of Dubstep and Drum and Bass Arena mixes.

Anyone know how the hell I can re-create this?!
What damn filter is it ! Crying
25-11-2009 12:57
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

try using lfo filters Wink

__

25-11-2009 13:14 Homepage of Ketz
SaulGilsenan
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by Ketz

That was the first thing I tried, it's more of a distinct Yuy sound than the usual wobwobwob or wowowow sounds Tongue
25-11-2009 14:38
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
Originally posted by SaulGilsenan
quote:
Originally posted by Ketz

That was the first thing I tried, it's more of a distinct Yuy sound than the usual wobwobwob or wowowow sounds Tongue

Wobbles it is then !?

haha.

They are mostly made using the LFO.
Setting filter to bandpass (bp) makes them easier to wobble imo.
Square waves are what a lot of the tunes in dnb arena whatsit use I think as a lot of them are of the Jump Up style of dnb.

Can wobble anything though ...

Next thing would be to play with the attack, decay, sustain and release (adsr) on the filter & amp envelopes.

Also automating the filter cutoff can achieve decent sounds too methinks.

Hey still not sure if you mean the wobble but whatever.
If you use Reason 4 then there's a patch on AF (site on my banner) that you add any instrument device to and can wobble it instantly.
Also there's a tut for creating wobbles too far as I remember.

Safe.

__

25-11-2009 15:52 Homepage of Sentinel
SaulGilsenan
Tourist

Well it is a wobble, but not the typical Dubstep sound.
I'm talking more grimey stuff.

It's in this track, after the main 'wombwomb' sounds there is a more 'yoyoyoyoy' sound Tongue Damn this is hard to explain with words lol..

Also I'm using FL Studio 9, that will work too right? ^^

25-11-2009 16:18
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

It's in this track, after the main 'wombwomb' sounds there is a more 'yoyoyoyoy' sound Tongue Damn this is hard to explain with words lol..

Of course !!!

Have you tried adding saw / triangle waves as they will sound more grimey also maybe a tad distortion too Smile

Like I said you can wobble anything Big Grin

Also layering sounds, exporting and reimporting, processing more et so on might make them even more grimey.

Will watch that youtube vid in 10 mins when I-m done downloading something.

__

25-11-2009 18:33 Homepage of Sentinel
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

The sound in the youtube vid sounds like Square wave to me cause it's annoying as fuck !!!

Just lowered an octave or so, some distortion maybe ...

Might have layered a saw wave over it too, to give it that more gritty sound.

Sounds like typical Jump Up nonsense to me Tongue

Have you searched on youtube how to make jump up basslines or wobbles !?

Usually always something on good old youtube to put you in the right direction.

__

25-11-2009 18:40 Homepage of Sentinel
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel
The sound in the youtube vid sounds like Square wave to me cause it's annoying as fuck !!!.

sounds more like soulless drivel to me m8.
sorry but that sort of stuff really duznt float my boat,
its just noise for the sake of noise.
twilight zone is a great sample, its just such a shame they fucked it up with that (and i use the term very loosely here)"tune".

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
25-11-2009 21:21
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by marc_ej
quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel
The sound in the youtube vid sounds like Square wave to me cause it's annoying as fuck !!!.

sounds more like soulless drivel to me m8.
sorry but that sort of stuff really duznt float my boat,
its just noise for the sake of noise.
twilight zone is a great sample, its just such a shame they fucked it up with that (and i use the term very loosely here)"tune".

Actually Marc me and Ketan feel the same thing as you about the so called TUNE.

So I'm gonna shake der Shakeshark at it !!!

Either way Marc it's still got at least one square wave in it !!! Tongue

__

25-11-2009 21:47 Homepage of Sentinel
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

yeah v true senti m8,
soz gone off topic.
couple of square waves distorted to fuck, (played without any feeling or love, highly important tip that),
chuck in some midi data, (dont worry about velocity's, that unimportant)
automation, nah fuck it, dont worry about that either, lolmfpmslao.
now the trick with this kinda "tune" is not to make the bassline sound anything like the original sample,,,,,,,,
dah dahhhhhhhh one souless, mindless, noisily annoying, fucking irritating,
crappy mp3 ready for a teens phone,

now if this is the sort of stuff thats getting noticed by labels,
wot the fuck are all of us doing?
we dont even need to make a tune half decent, just noisy and mindless and youve got a"winner".

fuck all this shit, gonna put some ltj on the ipod,
just so i can regain a little bit of soul in my life.
(ahh seba and conrad welcome back into my world XXXXXDoped ).

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by m-ej: 26-11-2009 08:51.

26-11-2009 08:49
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

[quote]Originally posted by marc_ej
yeah v true senti m8,
soz gone off topic.
couple of square waves distorted to fuck, (played without any feeling or love, highly important tip that),
chuck in some midi data, (dont worry about velocity's, that unimportant)
automation, nah fuck it, dont worry about that either, lolmfpmslao.
now the trick with this kinda "tune" is not to make the bassline sound anything like the original sample,,,,,,,,
dah dahhhhhhhh one souless, mindless, noisily annoying, fucking irritating,
crappy mp3 ready for a teens phone,

now if this is the sort of stuff thats getting noticed by labels,
wot the fuck are all of us doing?
we dont even need to make a tune half decent, just noisy and mindless and youve got a"winner".

fuck all this shit, gonna put some ltj on the ipod,
just so i can regain a little bit of soul in my life.
(ahh seba and conrad welcome back into my world XXXXXDoped ).[/quote

HaHa ...

Aye Marc bring on the nice melodic liquido stuff Smile

*edit: at least it has lots of variation unlike that jump up pish :shakshark:

0oh slating match !!! 2 points to me !

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Sentinel: 26-11-2009 15:29.

26-11-2009 15:27 Homepage of Sentinel
SaulGilsenan
Tourist

Well, I did not mean to start this off.. Huh

I appreciate that you have opinions on music tastes guys, but I linked a track to make my question more clear and you've jumped at the chance to take the piss out of it..

Anybody else have any idea?
26-11-2009 16:21
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Yeah mate the thread did go off topic a bit but look they did answer your question, it's all about square and saw waveforms for the bass you're going after. It's not a wobble per say, it's just short staccato notes. You don't have to worry about complex neuro filtering or anything, just mix and match some waveforms in 3xOsc and play some notes.

EDIT: I think they are short staccato notes because I can hear that the ADSR envelope is not normal, it's meant to sustain the note for half a second and then stop the sound with a tiny bit of release so it kind of fades out, you can hear it in the very first note that is played at the beginning of the bassline. Filtering would sound a lot different imho.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Zugzwang: 26-11-2009 17:14.

26-11-2009 17:08
SaulGilsenan
Tourist

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
Yeah mate the thread did go off topic a bit but look they did answer your question, it's all about square and saw waveforms for the bass you're going after. It's not a wobble per say, it's just short staccato notes. You don't have to worry about complex neuro filtering or anything, just mix and match some waveforms in 3xOsc and play some notes.

EDIT: I think they are short staccato notes because I can hear that the ADSR envelope is not normal, it's meant to sustain the note for half a second and then stop the sound with a tiny bit of release so it kind of fades out, you can hear it in the very first note that is played at the beginning of the bassline. Filtering would sound a lot different imho.

Thanks a lot man, I'm not able to get at the computer I use for it at the mo but I'll give it a go when I can Pleased Also I'm using Massive if there will be a simpler or more effective way to do it.
26-11-2009 17:16
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang

Thanks a lot man, I'm not able to get at the computer I use for it at the mo but I'll give it a go when I can Pleased Also I'm using Massive if there will be a simpler or more effective way to do it.

Well it went off topic because you did not read what we said and besides it's simple stuff you can learn on youtube.

Obviously when Ketan said try the LFO that's all you did rather than experiment with the evelopes or filters or anything else.

Problem is we can't exactly just tell you step by step the exact details of how to make something as everyone just end up with the EXACT same sound which is why I don't do the exact values needed in any of my Reason 4 tutorials.

Sorry mate if we took the piss outta your choice in music, but to me it has no variation or life and is just a load of noise.

Safety 0ot anyway.

__

26-11-2009 17:42 Homepage of Sentinel
SaulGilsenan
Tourist

Hey dude I didn't mean to give the impression I wasn't listening, I am going to try all the methods you've told me, I have fiddled around with LFO's and Filters too. In hind sight I should've checked YouTube before making the thread you're right and I suppose when I made my last reply I kind of lost focus a bit too because of all the frustration you guys directed towards the music I linked. That's not the only music I listen to, I like other stuff and I'm not one of those people who solely listens to things the more mainstream producers put in front of me. I don't want to cause a bad impression on you guys I just felt like you thought I was some sort of sheep lol. Anyway thanks guys for all your help I appreciate it all and sorry if this is a bloody wall of text Wink No hard feelings? It's really hard to give out an accurate representation of moods when typing on the internet.. Tongue
26-11-2009 22:34
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
No hard feelings? It's really hard to give out an accurate representation of moods when typing on the internet.. Tongue

That it is mate, that it is !

Besides I'm always like that, I'm just a bit random and also I am Mr. Grumpy after all (it even says it under my username Shakeshark

Just aye should check stuff on youtube first and music is all about experimentation.
Remember while trying to figure something out you may encounter what we call an "happy accident" ...
in other words might end up making a completely different sound that you prefer or end up going in a completely different direction with a tune than you intended at the start.

ez.

__

27-11-2009 02:00 Homepage of Sentinel
napster55 napster55 is a male
Snitch And Chemist

images/avatars/avatar-2768.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2008

quote:

haha big tune. love it. bare funny what others say bout jump up.

'noise'

neways, to get a sound like that, start with a womp or a wobble just a normal squelshy wobble.
slap bare distortion on it get a plugin like MDA combo n go to the radio setting, wack it up full haha. then tweak the lfo speed to your taste.
northpole is a good 1 too. good for sounds like this.

for the 2nd bit, i think thats what u meant haha, nevermind but start with a sawtooth drop it down like an octave or two then u need to get a lfo on the cut off n make it go fast like 16th's but turn the wet signal down (if you can like on massive the amp bit of the lfo) alot so u got that scratchy chompy sound. then put more sawtooths on top of each other. its weird at 1st but ur get it.

the remix tears it 2.

__
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SNCDNB

-SNITCH-

-AIM - SNITCHDNB
-MSN- DUKES21_3@HOTMAIL.COM
24-12-2009 01:51 Homepage of napster55
TuffDread TuffDread is a male
Mr. Tuff

images/avatars/avatar-2867.gif

Registration Date: 26-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Good track, havnt heard it for a while.
Anyway, if you wanna make some dirty jump up bass the keyword is bitcrush.
Try using massive by native instruments to make a nice low sub, then filter it with the daft filter and use an lfo on it. The bass has to have some hi pitch sound in it for this to work. anyway, in fl studio send this to a channel and use a bit crusher on it. i use cmt bitcrusher, a great little freeware vst. hi pass above 160Hz and then add a little distortion to your taste, i'm thinking by now you should have a dirty sound coming through your speakers making you wanna grind your teeth together, lol Rinse Puke
Need any more advice or fine tuning hit me up on msn tuffdread@hotmail.co.uk and i'll send u an fl file to demonstrate . peace, keep the jump up alive!

__
Huh
24-12-2009 15:46 Homepage of TuffDread
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

To make the result sound more pro and more easy on the ears you need to use a saturator plugin Voxengo Varisaturator does a nice job... put it as last element in the FX chain and use the setting "Near tape saturation" you'll hear the sound going less guitarish and more controlled dirty.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
24-12-2009 16:44 Homepage of BattleDrone
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » That "Yuy Yuy" & "Wohw Wohw" sound (jump up bass question)