drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » High end variation
Go to the bottom of this page High end variation
Author
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-3053.gif

Registration Date: 18-05-2009

How do you guys mix things up and keep it fresh for the entirety of your tracks?

I'm not talking about coming up with new sections; I'm sitting here with an almost completed track in terms of bass, drums, and the main synth and sample parts that take focus in the mix, but I don't want my track to just be the same couple of sections repeated again and again.

I'm talking about small variations within a 16 bar phrase- I notice a lot of random sound effects in the high end of the frequency spectrum and stuff in profesional productions, and I'm not really sure how to approach this.

I know this is pretty vague... but I'm sure you guys are full of wisdom.

__
Click_Me

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by arclimberock: 08-11-2009 17:15.

08-11-2009 16:57
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Find some high-frequency effects from sample-packs, and cut them, reverse them, add them on logically expected places (end of phrase, middle of phrase), combine their appearance with the beat (take off the snare, for example when it's coming, or take the beat completely).

Also, try to make your hihats and higher-frequency elements more shuffle-y. Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
08-11-2009 17:35 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

well I know f*ck all about modern drum n' bass, but if I was making a tune that sounded repetive, I would firstly mess about with the beat, maybe leave gaps in it, lower the treble to make it deep, or put some breaks wherever I feel like it. I'd also mess about with the pitch, tone, length of the hits... actually a good thing to do is to get a copy of your drum machine and lower the lengths/gate the hits on it. You can then make a pattern in this and it'll sound all choppy and AWESOME!
Automation is good as well, try messing with the frequency and/or resonance of your meldies and synths. Well, there's LOADS more stuff you can automate. Also try changing the melody slightly, if you've got some bass goin' on then have that do something special ... a good piece of music, in my opinion, has variety and shows that effort has been put into it.
Lastly, if you've got pads, then automate them too .. try changing the focus to different sounds, e.g. if you have 16 bars of a melody and drums, with a synth going on in a low frequency, you could lower the frequency of the melody and raise the frequency of the synth on the 15/16th bars.
Hope this helps!

CtMc Cool

__
CtMc Cool
29-11-2009 14:26
arclimberock
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-3053.gif

Registration Date: 18-05-2009

Yeah that definately helps thanks

__
Click_Me

02-12-2009 22:44
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

no problem! Happy

__
CtMc Cool
02-12-2009 22:49
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » High end variation