drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Brainfuck of talant, essay
Go to the bottom of this page Brainfuck of talant, essay
Author
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2322.jpg

Registration Date: 11-08-2005

didnt know which place to post so
originally posted by Marc Atmost
www.myspace.com/marcatmost

quote:
Well, I didn’t know why I convinced myself that music production is what I like. Though all those spent years over fucking my brain because of talent that I considered I “hypothetically” had, as any other person might considers as well, were not just stupid waste of time. It was very enthusiastic waste of time and almost religious dogma that someone or at least I need “my” music.

At the end of the day it showed that eventually nothing matters to be successful. The things which music industry dictates to artists, such as music standards, rules of conduct on stage or public, fashion trends and enormous etc, is the biggest brain fucking outside of your brain. You are to assign yourself to one of those people involved in doing something strange. You have to percept yourself as one of those mentally deranged geniuses. That is the first brain fuck to have, as human being appears to be social mammal.

And question upon where to get inspiration, what is mood all about or talent seems to be nonsense. Talent is the ability to transfer as fully as possible a conceptual idea from the mind to so-called item of Art in material world. This ability is very thin and what I can see mostly is 45% of transferred album, 30% track, 2% vinyl record, 10% video clip and so much on.

If any person starts music production, one will gradually discover that his or her “music” does not meet the criteria of the world accepted “music”. The number of points of mismatch is variable, but later or earlier it will undoubtedly arise.

The most common is quality of sound. This is very interesting point but way unintelligible. I won’t start talking what and when, but an artist won’t get signed on a label without having this quality. The answer is a physical characteristics of a sound, and not melody, not musicality, not any other thing. Artists have to do stuff they generally do not need that much. But yes, they do need it and major work is “sounding right” rather than “sounding artistically”. Many “big dads” talks that this is not so important, but all of them do the opposite. So that is the second most significant brain fuck of yours. The obsession how to satisfy those atlantes of music. But both sides forgot that “Music is an art form whose medium is sound” and that’s it. But who cares, stereotype works perfectly. Now ask me where does so much sound rubbish came from?

It’s very important if you have strong visual idea before you start a track, because if not, knowledge of tweaking proper knobs won't do. That's nothing. That's not music, that’s maths or something else or whatever, but not music. So, basically, its good to have almost an idea of "possible video clip" to your tune. In such case music will be not so rubbish and definitely standout from all that crap. If you think that knowledge of cubase will automatically make you belong to pro – that is nonsense. Musician need to be precise, laconic in his work, but pithy and substantial. It is wise to express yourself in 1 noteworthy track than in 10 obscure albums.

I am not good at law, and never wanted to study that, but nowadays musician should be aware of this as well. In order to get your track signed on a label you need practically legal permission for every sample you are using. Just think about it, legal permission for a single shot of sound. Permission for using physical phenomena, for which you have to pay money. Than you earn money and continue brain fuck with something else, most commonly useless shitting money.

If someone, some alien or person somewhere in space who could hear us, all of us, all music and radio stations, TV broadcasts and all the rest of stuff from planet Earth, I am sure it would sound like an ugly noise shape without an end. I am not saying against music, all I am saying that it should be reasonable. I am perfectly aware that I did not manage to cover other not less interesting topics, but I am really tired of it all.

We are fighting for clean environment and ecology, so why than we are not fighting for clean acoustic environment and noosphere.

Please, stop music…

__
*Ex-Active Search*

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ultra_8: 06-11-2009 14:15.

06-11-2009 11:32 Homepage of Ultra_8
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

my doubting just goes to show that quoting someone isnt easy. good that you post this, now I get his ideas clear

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
06-11-2009 13:16 Homepage of cynik
13Ahau

Registration Date: 05-11-2009

what do you mean by clean? The energy used to produce? Or the actual sound produced?
The cleanest music I can think of is simply vocalizing with no tool other than your own vocal chords if you are worried about energy but then we can get into what the vocalist uses to survive.
In terms of clean sound I think that is too vague of a term. I would rather use the words tone, accuracy, theory, and intention. You can have a clean fundamental sound (tone) which will more effectively produce overtones and people "feeling" your music. You can talk about cleanliness in accuracies in rythm and pitch. You can talk about cleanliness in harmonic or rythmic relationships (theory) that may be more logical than others. You can talk about the cleanliness of the intentions of the creator (is he/she doing this to help you or use you?). Those different factors (which there are many more of) all have different levels of cleanliness, care, thoughtfulness, calculation, etc.
The world is full of contradictions, complications and many artists/philosophers battle with these mind fucks as you call them. Did you get that term from Aphex?
If you are looking for acceptance from a public, find what they like. I am not saying you should pander but play what your certain audience is known to like. There are certain things that people wouldn't play at carnegie hall and there are certain things people would play at a rave, metal show, avante gaurde nook. If you are looking for freedom in your art, look for an audience or place that wants to hear freedom (liberal colleges, modern art museums). If you want acceptance, find something that will be acceptable to your audience. No matter what you do, even if you are copying, will be new in some way due to the fact that YOU are doing it. There is a saying, you have to know the "rules" before you can break them. Even repeated things are different due to the fact that you took another step into time.
Plus if art is sometimes a manifestation of the collective unconcious (noosphere) then why not listen to it and try working with it rather than trying to smash everything and start from rock bottom? There is a damned good reason classical, jazz, pop, avante gaurde exist and I would not suggest in hating these traditions. I agree that development is always key but respecting your elders is also another part. I have grown tired of this western mentality of novelty, there are already very old traditions "cleanly" helping people survive on earth.
06-11-2009 18:39
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I dont think he will answer since he didnt post it in the first place

but, jeez, I believe by doing dnb youre already so far apart miles away from the notion of novelty. if you take just the dnb world as a perspective then stereotypes are everywhere but youre taking a quite narrow point of view. I believe the author is pissed off in much the same way music pisses off all us that are trying to do music, as much as it brings us fullfilness and happiness. or maybe he got lost in what he wants to do, questioning his motives

__
06-11-2009 19:48 Homepage of cynik
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

I don't agree much with anything he said but it seems to me like he is just fed up with producing. He wants to be famous but his goals are not being realized.
07-11-2009 01:43
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I feel he would rather change people into liking his tunes than making something masses can appreciate. sort of goes in hand with the role of mad scientist

__
07-11-2009 08:59 Homepage of cynik
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

Cleanliness may be next to godliness but shitty is pretty.

http://www.phobospeepl.dk/documents/shitty1.pdf

http://www.phobospeepl.dk/documents/shitty2.pdf
07-11-2009 11:10
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Man those articles are funny. Marc Atmost would be proud.
10-11-2009 06:46
13Ahau

Registration Date: 05-11-2009

Agreed, that article is great! I am one of those educated types and its been quite hard relating to my common man ever since the conservatory. I met all those jazz heads and all the classical prodigies but their ideas about what people should listen to never sat well with me. Thankyou for reminding me, "Keep it simple, stupid!"
12-11-2009 16:02
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Brainfuck of talant, essay