drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Changing up your tunes?
Go to the bottom of this page Changing up your tunes?
Author
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Ez Dotbe crew,

I have a problem, and that problem is that when I make a track I have trouble adding enough variation into it so it doesn't get boring. I try and change the drums up every sixteen bars with a different fill, add variation to the synth line, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

So I wanted to ask you guys, how do you keep a tune interesting?
26-10-2009 08:29
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I seem to have this problem quite a bit as well but I seem to have worked out a work around

Once you get the main flow after the drop try to bash out quick variations straight away. Don't worry about the sound or the mix just yet, just make loads of variations while you are still in the vibe.

Otherwise I find if I listen to the main drop on loop for ages tweaking the mix I find it had to imagine anything else and get locked in the loop and can't deviate from it.

Then you should have a load of variations to use at the end of phases or sometimes a variation to take the track on a completely different tangent but still fit the flow

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

26-10-2009 10:18 Homepage of D2o
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

this should also come under "how do you finish bloody tunes then" lol

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
26-10-2009 11:40
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

had enough of those, so if an idea itself in its beginning form is not changing enough its not worth doing IMO, and is another exercise in loop creation/mixing...

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
26-10-2009 12:00 Homepage of cynik
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

my advise as would be that maybe suttle variations may work for you such as more back ground fx and try varying the beat more for example every 4 bars adding a little beat variation (maybe by just adding an extra snare or kick) every 8 bars add a roll/fill the the beat and on the 16th adding a larger roll/build up. IMO if you have a good enough and interesting enough bline/melody then try not to overdo it. Bound your melody and then tweak a few of the settings on your synth or maybe tweak any fx on your melody and bounce each time you do that so then you have a few variations of you melody.

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by junglist06: 26-10-2009 15:30.

26-10-2009 15:29
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

Just listen to Spor or any of those dudez. The tunes can be broken down into like 6 major parts some lasting only 8 or 16 bars. First we have the intro atmosphere and hits and sometimes some filtered drums or something and then we are introduced to the beat which itself has variation every few measures. You just want to have a level of complexity where you dont get bored or the beat is so slamming you want to hear it over and over again. But really you can break your tune down into like 6 different loops which could stand out on their own as good loops. They all have to have the same idea and vibe and be in the same key and often tempo. But just listen to a lot of drum and bass because this is a real problem. Check my track Spellbound for a little example. I tried to keep the attention for the whole song.

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
26-10-2009 19:53 Homepage of Dethworm
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Changing up your tunes?