drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do YOU get your ideas for a track?
Go to the bottom of this page How do YOU get your ideas for a track?
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

quote:
Originally posted by Ciaran
heyyo, there are loads of ways to start a track ...
1) Think about the atmosphere for your track. If it's going to be dark, techsteppy perhaps, then you should have a go at making low-octave sounds and a 'hard' beat. Think about the genre of what you're going to produce and what sort of style it is, however don't be cliche. Make something that gives a message across; coming on to the next point.. -
2) Think about what you want your music to present. A message or an emotion maybe? I did this song two fridays ago about this girl, it started off with a nice chord pattern and then it changed into something sadder and slightly mysterious .. I finished the song in 2 days, which shows that -
3) Inspiration helps. If you have something on your mind, put it in ya music! Also listen to other artists to see what sounds good; what you want.
It's said that coming up with something is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, so -
4) Take time to come up with sounds. Don't rush yourself, simply learn to enjoy making synths etc... Music should be enjoyable, not stressful, so if it is starting to irritate you then -
5) Take a break ... maybe watch something on TV or a film, it'll (hopefully) put you in a better mood and you'll focus more on your music when you get back to it. You can also think about sampling stuff that you've watched.
6) You gotta start somewhere. Write a simple melody and then fuck about with the synthesiser you're using. Once you get a good sound, you'll DEFINETELY come up with a good melody. I would say that a good sound makes up for a poor or average melody!
7) Get yourself a notepad my friend! That way you can write down ideas wherever you are, and you can also write stuff down while making a song, e.g. what you want to add or change. Notepads are like having 200% memory!

Hope this helps!
CtMc Cool

Haha, thanks mate, this is really helpfull! Big Grin

Right now, I am listening to some inspiration. XD

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

29-11-2009 11:47 Homepage of jeffijoe
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2885.jpg

Registration Date: 25-04-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

what kinda stuff do you listen to??

__
CtMc Cool
29-11-2009 13:57
additive additive is a male
DROP IT!

images/avatars/avatar-2973.png

Registration Date: 09-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Spot on Ciarin Smile Very nice advice right there mate!

__
http://www.additivemusic.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/additive-music/497601575363?ref=ts
30-11-2009 03:48 Homepage of additive
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

I listen to Spor, Misha, Inside Info, Chase & Status (Sometimes), 1 remix from Noisia (Hadouken - Liquid Lives (Noisia Remix)), uhmm.. What else do I listen to? xD Oh yeah, Error Utopia, Receptor, Ketz (w00t). I thank thats about it tho. Does those artist produce in any sub-style to DnB? If you could say it like that? Tongue

Lol, this thread is getting popular. It should be stickied, under the name How To Get Ideas For Your Tracks. xD

Cheers. ^^

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

30-11-2009 19:43 Homepage of jeffijoe
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

haha yeah or even just get rid of the whole site and leave my comment only Wink

__
CtMc Cool
30-11-2009 19:54
DROP IT!

Helpfulness rating: 

could rename the site too... CiaranMusicalIdeas.com ....:p

__
30-11-2009 22:07 Homepage of additive
Ciaran Ciaran is a male
Cool Steppa

Helpfulness rating: 

I did actually LOL when I read that!

__
CtMc Cool
30-11-2009 22:09
xSky

Haha xD

Srsly, this shud go in da stickiiiz xD

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

01-12-2009 19:24 Homepage of jeffijoe
AlteriorID

Registration Date: 02-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

Short and simple:
Get a stale organic loop, cut it up and make a drum track for the middle of your song (usually the part before the drop) and then copy that pattern, make it a little more intro-like. there you have the first part of your percussion. Add some sub bass with the 3xOsc (since you use FL). the rest just "happens" some how.
01-12-2009 23:28
DROP IT!

Helpfulness rating: 

AlteriorID, I'm sorry but I'll have to go ahead and disagree with you there. That is - in my opinion - a very unmusical approach that is built without any pre-thought. The issue here is that whilst you hear the loop over and over and create loops that "fit" with it, you are training your ears and your mind to hear any change you make as an improvement (because it tires your ears to hear it over and over)... usually tracks like this don't get finished, or are almost impossible to finish because they lack the most important part of music "creation" and that is the "vision" that created the track in the first place.

I suggest doing exactly the opposite of that.

Hear and feel in your mind and heart what you want to conceive, and then build the whole layout of it - from beginning to end - as quickly as possible, and then improve on it.

Let me also make the point that no musician in history has written (by playing live on the instrument) a successful track by playing over and over and over the same bar loop and then building a track around it becuase that one bar just happened to inspire the rest of the track.

Anyway. .. One last thing, using other people's drum loops lends to poor production because a loop is already "produced", limiting what you can fit around it.

There are many books that talk about how to conceive great music and compose it, and they all point to opposite technique to what you're describing.

That's my 2c worth anyway.

P.S. I suggest you read what Ciaran wrote, as - overall - it's good advice that might help you improve. -Cheers

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by additive: 02-12-2009 08:41.

02-12-2009 08:39 Homepage of additive
xSky

So much advice here.. x]

Well, Ciaran's was the best one IMO, so I will use that as my production template.
Thanks! ;D

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

02-12-2009 17:31 Homepage of jeffijoe
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

HERE's a link to a very, very good thread (albeit a wee bit long) written by Mr. Daniels (PLaGuE CeLL) which I think you'll probably find very useful even though it is geared more towards people suffering the bloody dreaded artist block.

But it covers the many various methods of getting your creativity back and approaching fresh ideas for creating tunes. Wink

Hope you find it useful.

Senti 0ot ! Shakeshark

__

02-12-2009 17:48 Homepage of Sentinel
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

Also just thought I'd mention that you shouldn't just follow someone elses method par for par as it's always better to adapt (maybe on someone elses method) and find your own methods to getting creative.

Smile

__

02-12-2009 17:53 Homepage of Sentinel
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel
Also just thought I'd mention that you shouldn't just follow someone elses method par for par as it's always better to adapt (maybe on someone elses method) and find your own methods to getting creative.

Smile

Well, tbh, I just press on my keyboard, and see if I can spot a good melody. Then I put in some drums, see if it sounds alright, then I find an intro, and work it up from there. Thats what I did with my first track Tongue

Senti00t, you got MSN? Smile

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

03-12-2009 21:12 Homepage of jeffijoe
Mr. Grumpy

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by jeffijoe
quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel

Smile

Well, tbh, I just press on my keyboard, and see if I can spot a good melody. Then I put in some drums, see if it sounds alright, then I find an intro, and work it up from there. Thats what I did with my first track Tongue

Senti00t, you got MSN? Smile

Well I do but it hasn't worked properly since last two updates so don't use it anymore.
Got aim though (find on my profile page or via site on my banner.)

__

03-12-2009 21:35 Homepage of Sentinel
kanibalboy kanibalboy is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3011.jpg

Registration Date: 28-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

i usually start with a beat.
build like an 8 or 16 bar beat and then thrown in a subbass with only a few notes.
then play around with vst's looking for a good lead. ill build a 16 bar beat with 5 or 6 different leads and rythyms and then try to arrange the whole thing by stripping down layers and making it longer.
but that is were i run into trouble is trying to arrange all my sounds into a decent song.
04-12-2009 05:27
Garfler Garfler is a male
Creature dnb

Registration Date: 11-02-2009

quote:
Originally posted by marcusg
I have awesome tunes in my head when I am at work, by the time I get home I forget everything. Then I open up my daw with disappointment. Then get frustrated when I cant create the bass I want.

I also tend to open my DAW with dissapponitment, sometimes I get frutrated... LOL that sounds so funny hahahah!!!!
21-12-2009 19:27 Homepage of Garfler
xGranty xGranty is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 20-08-2010

Helpfulness rating: 

I recently found listening to mixes helps inspire me because theres a constant change in percussion, melody ect. Sometimes find a pad sample or a bass sample and just mess about with how it fits into a beat.. failing that try and learn a single sound or just spend a day making hits or breaks or somethin
07-01-2012 05:00
Vehemence Vehemence is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-02-2012

if it hasn't been said already take the time to learn the scales you are using, root notes are good for breakdowns and for starting a measure, they also resolve tension and you can bring your melodies back down to it, in a harmonic minor any part in the scale with a half step change gives it the very distinct dark minor feel, just take time to learn little things like this, then take time to think about how you want the part to make the listener feel. Do you want your track to progress? maybe start with a somewhat long root note, then a different melody, then go down to the note below it or a few down in the scale, and so forth an so forth until you have something that takes you to different places

__
www.soundcloud.com/xphixiate
www.facebook.com/xphixiate
xphixiate.bandcamp.com
25-02-2012 11:04
Shaita Shaita is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 04-01-2012

Got the same problem, I can come up with some decent tunes, but it's hard to create it. Besides, there are millions of songs already, so it's hard to be unique. I got the feeling music nowadays is all about nice sounds and not that necessarily about a good tune. btw, if i'm tipsy or high i'm more in a jamming mood, so it doesn't work for me :b

__
"The things you own end up owning you"
26-02-2012 16:26
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do YOU get your ideas for a track?