drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do YOU get your ideas for a track?
Go to the bottom of this page How do YOU get your ideas for a track?
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

EZ mates!

I don't know if I am the only guy having trouble with this, but everytime I boot up my DAW (Fr00teh l00ps) I just sit around, and have no idea for a melody AT ALL. Tbh, I don't even know how the hell I came up with my one and only track. Or maybe that was because I wasnt sober. Tho I cant just go and get some booze, since I'm just 15, I get it from my parrents once in awhile. But as the title says:"How do YOU get your ideas for a new track?" Drummer

For me, sometimes I just come up with something, and when I get home, and attempts to get my idea into a Piano roll, then I just cant get the keystrokes right. And that is when I get pissed, and think for myself:"Maan, I aint gonna make a banger in some time now.."

Anyways, please post how you come up with an idea for a new track. And if its your secret... Post it anyway. Devil

xD

Alright, keep it real folks!

P.S: One of my friends, she actually LOVES DnB, from the first song she ever heard! Isnt that amazing?! How lucky can a DnB head get?! Big Grin

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 24-10-2009 18:41.

24-10-2009 18:40 Homepage of jeffijoe
PLaGuE CeLL PLaGuE CeLL is a male
Subwoofer on a Killing Spree

images/avatars/avatar-1457.jpg

Registration Date: 13-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

I find that I come up with my melodies just from randomly messing around on the keyboard til I accidentally come up with a nice little lick i can refine into a melody Smile

However, I do find that I need to be in a certain mood to randomly hammer the keyboard in a way that is likely to turn up something Tongue

Once the melody is down i find i just get 'in the zone' and start churning out all sorts of elements to the track. Quite often when i listen back to tunes I've made a while ago i have no idea how i came up with some of the ideas in them!

I certainly feel that unless you are running off the enthusiasm of just starting out making music, it can be hard to put any real emotion or power into a track unless you are feeling a heightened emotion... being bored ain't such a good time to make music but if you're happy or sad then you may turn out deep stuff Big Grin

__
My Myspace
24-10-2009 21:01
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

quote:
Originally posted by PLaGuE CeLL
I find that I come up with my melodies just from randomly messing around on the keyboard til I accidentally come up with a nice little lick i can refine into a melody Smile

However, I do find that I need to be in a certain mood to randomly hammer the keyboard in a way that is likely to turn up something Tongue

Once the melody is down i find i just get 'in the zone' and start churning out all sorts of elements to the track. Quite often when i listen back to tunes I've made a while ago i have no idea how i came up with some of the ideas in them!

I certainly feel that unless you are running off the enthusiasm of just starting out making music, it can be hard to put any real emotion or power into a track unless you are feeling a heightened emotion... being bored ain't such a good time to make music but if you're happy or sad then you may turn out deep stuff Big Grin

Haha, awesome! Big Grin

Well, once I find a melody and a beat that matches, I can use hours and hours on making it sound better Smile

Right now, I've got a stomach ache (Ate too much today. Parrents gave me a 100 to survive on for the day Tongue ) so I don't think I should be making music. Tongue

I also programm, so sometimes I am thinking about making sounds for my applications. Tongue

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

24-10-2009 21:14 Homepage of jeffijoe
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

tbh i used to do the whole programming it all thing at the same time as finding the sounds. just like a spontaneous sound selection placement method but have recently changed that as it was gettin a bit stale. so now instead of that i have been opening a project and building patches and collecting sounds before i even do anything else. i tend to find something that will give me an idea and think about how i could use it. then with this "idea" i begin to look for sounds i believe will work well with what im going for. all the while im checkin the sounds skipping through them to make sure im choosing sounds which work nicely together. then once i amass these sounds into a project, i save it and come back to it later on. basically putting the sounds together like a jigsaw and i find it much less of a chore to get going. its easyer to work with 10 interesting sounds and make melodys for em all in 1 go rather than, get going, stop to find a sound, get goin again, stop to find a sound.
25-10-2009 03:57
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Sounds like you need to hang out with your DnB girl and then write her a track. The ideas will come...

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
25-10-2009 10:22 Homepage of Phalanx
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Step-by-Step guide:

1) Open up your DAW
2)
A) Play around on the keyboard with an instrument that needs no programming (piano for example), mix some chords with melodies
B) Program an instrument and make a wicked bass or pad sound, all you need is 3 notes, the rest will come later
3)
A) When you have *something*, add an amen and see what happens
B) When you come up with nothing, quit your DAW. You come up with too little or something that doesn't sound so right but you don't know how to correct it, save it and quit the DAW.
4)
You're still in your DAW? Good Tongue Add other instruments, new progressions and melodies
You quit your DAW? time to take a break, do some other stuff. Go to work/classes, watch a movie, play a game, read a book, go have a drink, whatever. When you're done doing that, launch up your DAW again. First thing you'll do is check out your past "not entirely failures, but not entirely wins either"-projects (step3B). If you still don't see a future for it, launch a new project and back to step 2 ;-)

That's how I do it, sometime I launch my DAW 10 times a day. Sometime I don't feel like making a tune but I still launch it, but there's no point sitting around staring at your DAW :p
I also notice most of the time I'm listening to music until my DAW is ready to start working in, so maybe you should get in the mood with some other music?

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
25-10-2009 10:52 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

use drugs

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
25-10-2009 12:22 Homepage of cynik
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

i make beats first, they usually set my mood for the track then i do the intro n then usually it just flows from there

writers block takes hold sometimes n my collection of unfinished ideas grow even larger Mad

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

25-10-2009 14:51 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
Originally posted by demure
tbh i used to do the whole programming it all thing at the same time as finding the sounds. just like a spontaneous sound selection placement method but have recently changed that as it was gettin a bit stale. so now instead of that i have been opening a project and building patches and collecting sounds before i even do anything else. i tend to find something that will give me an idea and think about how i could use it. then with this "idea" i begin to look for sounds i believe will work well with what im going for. all the while im checkin the sounds skipping through them to make sure im choosing sounds which work nicely together. then once i amass these sounds into a project, i save it and come back to it later on. basically putting the sounds together like a jigsaw and i find it much less of a chore to get going. its easyer to work with 10 interesting sounds and make melodys for em all in 1 go rather than, get going, stop to find a sound, get goin again, stop to find a sound.

Martyn I think he means programming as in like I used to do many blue moons ago ...
Programming games, applications (et so on, et so on) using vb(6 / net) or c++ etc ...

As for the ideas for making a track, could base your ideas on something someone else has made seeing as more likely than not it'll not turn out anything like what you was aiming for in the first place.

Also you could learn some piano scales /chords as they can help.

(dunno if any of this shite has already been said cause tbh I haven't read all the posts)

As for making dnb tracks (I have no idea, I don't make them) Shakeshark

ShakeShark ShakeShark ShakeShark some more ...

Currently bored myself and haven't worked on music this week at all Frown

Safe.

__

25-10-2009 20:10 Homepage of Sentinel
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TheSentinel
quote:

Martyn I think he means programming as in like I used to do many blue moons ago ...
Programming games, applications (et so on, et so on) using vb(6 / net) or c++ etc ...

As for the ideas for making a track, could base your ideas on something someone else has made seeing as more likely than not it'll not turn out anything like what you was aiming for in the first place.

(dunno if any of this shite has already been said cause tbh I haven't read all the posts)

Safe.
whether he was or whether he wasnt, my mentioning of programming had nothing to do with him sayin it. its because thats what i do. i program in the melodys with a mouse. instead of playin on the keys. my my lee your attention span is quite remarkable
Teeth
25-10-2009 21:30
Sentinel Sentinel is a male
Mr. Grumpy

images/avatars/avatar-2995.png

Registration Date: 05-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.92

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TheSentinel
quote:

Safe.
whether he was or whether he wasnt, my mentioning of programming had nothing to do with him sayin it. its because thats what i do. i program in the melodys with a mouse. instead of playin on the keys. my my lee your attention span is quite remarkable
Teeth

Aye ...

tbh Martyn, I only read the first 2 sentences of your post ...
and my attention span isn't too good lately as you know anyway ...

I know you program in the melodies/beats with a mouse.
As do I after I've finished fucking about on the midi keyboard Wink

Oh well sod it !!!
Got a nasty headache and this cold/flu thing is starting to piss me off Shakeshark

ez.

__

26-10-2009 01:25 Homepage of Sentinel
wrm
orchestral/idm/deep/liquid/experi/mental

images/avatars/avatar-2659.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I usualy open my sampl library and just through all of the samples and play them. When I think it sounds interesting I try to come up with a melody with it. Or just start with random percusion hits. Try to make some beat first. Good and strong beat sets everything for a good tune. Or listen to other tunes. Get some weed and go on youtube to check out some tunes Big Grin I usually get great ideas for tunes when browsing youtube tunes, there are loads of them. Dunno, the idea can come from everywhere. For example I made one of my best tune when I was learning for my bachelor exams. I was too stressed and I made music to get relief. But if anything pops out in your head than maybe you are not suited for making music, dunno, dont wanna sound too bad Smile But thats the way it is sometimes.

__
___ Visit MYspace ___
26-10-2009 02:17 Homepage of wrm
marcusg marcusg is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 22-08-2008

I have awesome tunes in my head when I am at work, by the time I get home I forget everything. Then I open up my daw with disappointment. Then get frustrated when I cant create the bass I want.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by marcusg: 26-10-2009 04:31.

26-10-2009 04:31
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by marcusg
I have awesome tunes in my head when I am at work, by the time I get home I forget everything. Then I open up my daw with disappointment. Then get frustrated when I cant create the bass I want.

lol your life sounds like a lot of fun Cool

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
27-10-2009 01:33 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by marcusg

Different life, same shit Teeth

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
27-10-2009 11:48 Homepage of BattleDrone
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

I love to start with making some nasty synth patches and coming up with a cool line and syncopation. Then I bust out the redrum (dont worry I transfer hits to NNXT later on) and program a little idea behind it then the Dr. Rex for the break and then cut that up. Get a good 8 bar loop going and then make like 4 variations on the main theme to use later one. Often times I will build weird ambiences by time stretching and pitching down some weird etheral samples and then exporting that as a wav and reimporting into NNXT. You can get some really unique sounds like this.

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
27-10-2009 14:01 Homepage of Dethworm
LPF

Registration Date: 26-10-2009

I listen to tunes and think "like that pad on track XZY, also like the bass on ABC" and then do something that sounds like the parts I heard but then add bits and bobs to make it more my own.

I am crap with melodies, it's my biggest downfall.
27-10-2009 15:10
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

when you get an idea for a tune then get it down straight away, even if its only roughly as if you dont get a memory of what the vibe was like, more often then not you will forget it. i have reguarly shot on to my computer during dinner or having a conversation with someone as ive had an idea come into your head. even if you are out and about and you have to sing, hum, whistle or whatever into your phone and record it. i know it might sound barking mad but im sure im not the only one to do this. safe

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
27-10-2009 16:36
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by junglist06
even if you are out and about and you have to sing, hum, whistle or whatever into your phone and record it.

phew (wipes his brow), glad im not the only one who duz this.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
27-10-2009 17:31
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

lol Big Grin i got enough material on my mob to make an album.

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by junglist06: 27-10-2009 20:06.

27-10-2009 20:05
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » How do YOU get your ideas for a track?