drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using Samples (copyrights)
Go to the bottom of this page Using Samples (copyrights)
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 22-08-2008

I want to make music as a hobby and do not plan for making any profit. Is it okay for me to use vocal samples from another movie and take loops from soundtrack and post it on the net. For example, an anime called Deathnote I want some quotes and sample some of their music into my dnb track. Its not my original work sinced I used it but will I be sued even though its not for sale?
23-10-2009 23:01
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

I honestly don't know. Donny used a Lord of the Rings sample in his track They Are Coming, Audio recently used a sample from the new Terminator movie in his track Sector 8, tons of artists using samples from movies these days and they are selling their tunes.. as far as I know they don't get any clearance for the samples.
23-10-2009 23:59
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

I even heard a track from Donny that uses the Search and Destroy vocal from Call of Duty 4....LAME but super nasty track.

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
24-10-2009 00:54 Homepage of Dethworm
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Legally you can't use any samples of other people without permission in tracks you post online. This counts as publishing, even if you don't earn money.
Chances are you will get away with though because of the massive amount of copyright breaches that happen online every day. Labels are probably more concerned about people torrenting their stuff, and finding their music spread on rapidshare and used as backing tracks in youtube videos.

In any case it is illegal. Your only option is to contact the artist you are sampling from and ask permission. Or make your own samples Wink

So don't upload tracks here with any copyrighted samples, they will be removed when we find out. But if you upload them somewhere else you can always post a link here.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
24-10-2009 01:16 Homepage of thechronic
marcusg marcusg is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 22-08-2008

Well thanks for the response. I heard Tyler Straub could not use the song 'Favorite time of year" due to the samples he is using, yet I believe he did not get sued and his song is still floating all over the web lol.
24-10-2009 01:58
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using Samples (copyrights)