drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » MIDI Keyboard Questions [Frooteh Luups]
Go to the bottom of this page MIDI Keyboard Questions [Frooteh Luups]
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

(I don't normaly speak & type this way, but I am just happy, cause it's been a good day, and I got 1 week off school, so f33l th3 ch0c0l4t3 r41n! Tongue )

j00 p33pz!

As you all know, it's not long till ( |-||215†|\/|45 (For you who don't read 1337-speak, it says Christmas, lol. I'm just in a good mood today! =D )

Now, my parrent's and relatives are already bugging me about what I want for
( |-||215†|\/|45 (Lol) and I was thinking maybe a MIDI Keyboard, eh?

Now, one question: What's so good about a MIDI Keyboard? Can't I just use my normal computah keyboard for producing with FL? Or does the MIDI Keyboard play it live, so I won't have to waste time in the Piano-to-the-Roll?

2nd: Does it have all those fiiinee knob's to twist on, and if yes, how does Da Lewbs Of Frooteh save the changes? Tongue

3rd: Can you suggest some really good ones? And by that, I mean some good ones, at a good price? Lol, it would be better to get a pwnage one, and pay "Halph-Price" xD (Just had to do it, love his name. Tongue ) Anyways, can you suggest some good ones, and a reasonable price?

4th: How EXACLY does it work? .. Smile

Thanks! Big Grin

P.S. Drumnbass.be is the place to be! I got alot of help here! Big Grin

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

09-10-2009 15:48 Homepage of jeffijoe
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I can't really recommend any good ones, as I did not been searching for MIDI controllers/keyboard (as I already have one, M-Audio eKeys).
The only ones that caught my eye are the AKAI MPK series. (check it out: http://www.akaipro.com/mpk)

Having a midi keyboard helps tremendously for producing, especially if you devote some time to learn to play a bit. But even without that, it helps you with trying out for ex. bass lines and some progressions of sounds, that you would normally enter with your mouse for hours. That said, FL Studio can translate your typing keyboard into notes, but frankly, it sucks Big Grin And I'm gonna recommend, if you are into more complex melodies than 3 bass notes, please buy the biggest keyboard/controller you can afford (with 3 or more octaves as minimum). After some time, when you improve, you'll find that having less keys than needed is not such a good thing Big Grin

About the knob twists and how FL Studio saves the changes of those events (called automation) have a lookie here: Automation in FL Studio 6 in 30 minutes

And about your fourth question: the keyboard works in a way that you connect it through USB port, FL recognizes it, and then, you select the channel you want to play, and you play it through it.

For the knobs, you right-click a knob or a slider, select [Link to controller], and then you select your channel (the midi channel assigned to your keyboard) and controller (the specific control on your keyboard, like, hardware knobs, sliders, pitch-wheels, keys, etc.).

There, I hope this helps Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-10-2009 13:37 Homepage of Muad'Dib
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
I can't really recommend any good ones, as I did not been searching for MIDI controllers/keyboard (as I already have one, M-Audio eKeys).
The only ones that caught my eye are the AKAI MPK series. (check it out: http://www.akaipro.com/mpk)

Having a midi keyboard helps tremendously for producing, especially if you devote some time to learn to play a bit. But even without that, it helps you with trying out for ex. bass lines and some progressions of sounds, that you would normally enter with your mouse for hours. That said, FL Studio can translate your typing keyboard into notes, but frankly, it sucks Big Grin And I'm gonna recommend, if you are into more complex melodies than 3 bass notes, please buy the biggest keyboard/controller you can afford (with 3 or more octaves as minimum). After some time, when you improve, you'll find that having less keys than needed is not such a good thing Big Grin

About the knob twists and how FL Studio saves the changes of those events (called automation) have a lookie here: Automation in FL Studio 6 in 30 minutes

And about your fourth question: the keyboard works in a way that you connect it through USB port, FL recognizes it, and then, you select the channel you want to play, and you play it through it.

For the knobs, you right-click a knob or a slider, select [Link to controller], and then you select your channel (the midi channel assigned to your keyboard) and controller (the specific control on your keyboard, like, hardware knobs, sliders, pitch-wheels, keys, etc.).

There, I hope this helps Bigup

Haha, yeah, it helped alot, thank you! =D

The one you got, is it a very good one, and how much did you pay for it? Smile

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

10-10-2009 15:35 Homepage of jeffijoe
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, believe me, it's not that good Big Grin I payed 50$ some years ago, gotta be cheaper today.

It is good for playing simple stuff, but has no velocity action and additional knobs or pitchbend wheel, and is quite small. But serves me ok for playing out simple melodies and chord progressions.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
10-10-2009 15:56 Homepage of Muad'Dib
xSky

quote:
Well, believe me, it's not that good Big Grin I payed 50$ some years ago, gotta be cheaper today.

It is good for playing simple stuff, but has no velocity action and additional knobs or pitchbend wheel, and is quite small. But serves me ok for playing out simple melodies and chord progressions.

Well.. I live in Denmark, and I can find some to like.. Maybe also $50 or how much it was, and I can get them with EITHER many keys, and NO knobs, or some knobs, and a lack of keys. :/

I want a cheap one, but I don't want to waste alittle money on something completely useless. I asked a friend of mine, and he said that it's not all MIDI Keyboard's that support the live Piano roll recording, or whatever it was. Is that true? Happy

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 10-10-2009 18:02.

10-10-2009 18:01 Homepage of jeffijoe
xSky

*Bump* I really need an answer for the last question in my previous reply.

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

12-10-2009 17:59 Homepage of jeffijoe
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2706.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Have you had piano lessons and are you able to play melodies fluently with both hands? If so, get a bigger keyboard, if not, a small one with octave shift will totally do the job.
You also won’t need keys that respond on how hard you hit em in case you are no piano player. Adjusting those articulations later with your mouse will be more efficient and give better results.

The knobs on the keyboard can control any parameter you want them to control, you can also record automations with them. They are useful if you want to manipulate stuff live, otherwise there is no real need for those. If you want something for more workflow and better DAW control you’d rather go for a different midi controller then a keyboard with some knobs.

The piano roll will record any incoming midi, therefore every midi keyboard will work. Don’t think there is an exception.

I myself have a big keyboard with knobs and whatnot. The amount of keys and the velocity sensitive keys were and are essential for me, the knobs were a waste.
12-10-2009 18:38 Homepage of Gregg
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

I guess you can start with something similar to the one I have. I just checked the prices, they're 50$ for it.

__

-Bene Gesserit
12-10-2009 21:36 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

use pc keyboard. Buy midi keyboard if you stick to this music thing.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-10-2009 21:43 Homepage of BattleDrone
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
use pc keyboard. Buy midi keyboard if you stick to this music thing.

I will stick to this music thing.

Ah, what do you mean with automation? Like if I want to make a Automation clip for the cutoff? Can I make the clip live, or will I still have to, you know, change the waveform in the clip, if you know what I mean?

Muad'Dib, could you link me to the one you got? And does yours have more keys than a PC Keyboard?

EDIT:

Would you guys mind looking at this one? Tell me if it would be worth it, please. Happy

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Advanced-4...55426944&sr=1-8

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by jeffijoe: 13-10-2009 11:50.

13-10-2009 11:36 Homepage of jeffijoe
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

All automation you record will have its destination in the event editor. Reference Manual --> Event Editor. You can afterwards turn those recorded events into a regular automatic clip but mind you, the result won’t deliver accurate curves nor straight lines.

Again, whether some keyboard is worth or not is something you gotta figure out on your own. The one you picked is quality for sure but ask yourself if you need the knobs, faders, touch pads and 49 keys (told you what you may need them for). If you only want to record simple melodies played with one hand you will not need any of these features.
13-10-2009 12:38 Homepage of Gregg
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

There we go: M-Audio eKeys shopping results

BTW, Gregg, the curve you get when you transfer the recorded automation into a clip is accurate enough. I don't know why you have such an experience. Maybe you should select auto-smoothing when recording it (in the [Edit events] window menu).

__

-Bene Gesserit
13-10-2009 13:16 Homepage of Muad'Dib
xSky

Well, actually, I think I will start off with just using one hand, but as the time flows, I try to get alittle more engaged, so I would rather have all the knobs and faders + lots of keys, than get a small one, get more interested, and buy the one I actuallly want now. So it would be money wasted.

Thanks guys! Happy

I am reading the FL Bible. Tongue

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

13-10-2009 14:03 Homepage of jeffijoe
Gregg Gregg is a male
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

BTW, Gregg, the curve you get when you transfer the recorded automation into a clip is accurate enough. [Edit events] window menu).

I was referring to timing. you will probably not be able to keep turning the knob at the exact same speed during recording... or get an lfo alike curve that is also on-beat. well at least I can't. nvm
13-10-2009 19:20 Homepage of Gregg
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » MIDI Keyboard Questions [Frooteh Luups]