drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Error Utopia - Diamond Shine: Sounds
Go to the bottom of this page Error Utopia - Diamond Shine: Sounds
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

Sorry for posting so many help threads. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiwbLUYlf...=related&fmt=18

At 0:45, where the drums begin to raise the BPM, can you hear the bassline? Have you got an idea of how he made that?

And the lead from 1:52 to 1:58?

And then the normal lead, with alot of keystrokes, if you know what I mean? Smile

I'm using FL Studio 9, and I have Albino, Predator, Nexus, CamelPhat3, and KORG.
I really love that song, it's amazing how he does it Big Grin

Thanks. ^^

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

26-09-2009 14:42 Homepage of jeffijoe
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

just sounds to me like a really distorted bass ( look to brutal electro on massive ) with quite low filtering so its acting more of a harmonic kinda sub :S automating the filter and havin a mess around trying to get a rythm in the bassline would be good too Smile
just have a play around,
27-09-2009 01:59
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by demure
just sounds to me like a really distorted bass ( look to brutal electro on massive ) with quite low filtering so its acting more of a harmonic kinda sub :S automating the filter and havin a mess around trying to get a rythm in the bassline would be good too Smile
just have a play around,

Thanks bro Big Grin

Its a good song, right? Big Grin

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

27-09-2009 12:24 Homepage of jeffijoe
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

Ez mate,

The lead from 1:52 to 1:58 sounds like your standard saw-wave synth with a very fast LFO pitch bend (i.e. vibrato).

The normal lead has some reverb and either delay or very precise velocity settings. Played around in FL with the 3xOsc and got similar results, just takes experimentation as Demure has mentioned. Bigup

This doesn't work with all sounds as there are very complex sounds out there, but you can always try and A/B your synth patch with the sound you are trying to recreate. For example in Utopia - Diamond Shine, a lot of the synths sound 8bit, so experiment with square waves, bitcrushers, LoFi etc. and see if you get similar sounding results.

Now of course many people will look down upon trying to replicate other peoples sounds, but I think in the first parts of sound designing, it helps you learn a thing or two about synthesizing. And once you have a grasp on sound design, start designing your own sounds. Bigup
28-09-2009 23:25
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
Ez mate,

The lead from 1:52 to 1:58 sounds like your standard saw-wave synth with a very fast LFO pitch bend (i.e. vibrato).

The normal lead has some reverb and either delay or very precise velocity settings. Played around in FL with the 3xOsc and got similar results, just takes experimentation as Demure has mentioned. Bigup

This doesn't work with all sounds as there are very complex sounds out there, but you can always try and A/B your synth patch with the sound you are trying to recreate. For example in Utopia - Diamond Shine, a lot of the synths sound 8bit, so experiment with square waves, bitcrushers, LoFi etc. and see if you get similar sounding results.

Now of course many people will look down upon trying to replicate other peoples sounds, but I think in the first parts of sound designing, it helps you learn a thing or two about synthesizing. And once you have a grasp on sound design, start designing your own sounds. Bigup

Oi Zuggie,

Lol, I dont really know nothing about no synthesizing, although maybe I should have a look into it. ^^

What exacly do you mean by 8-bit? Tongue
Once you get your computer to work probably again, we can have a talk about this on MSN. Big Grin

Alright people, thanks for ya help! Keep it real! Big Grin

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

29-09-2009 19:09 Homepage of jeffijoe
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

8bit is low quality, Nintendo sounding stuff. Uses a lot of squarish waveforms and such.

I don't mean to say that the tune isn't quality - I mean most of the synths sound like retro Gameboy sound effects that have been reprocessed. There's actually a whole bunch of different genres that hearken to this sort of sound.

Check out Covox - Dubslide and pay attention to the types of sounds he uses, then imagine them toned down (not so obviously old sk00l) and given a much newer sheen and you have those sorts of synths that Utopia used for this song.

30-09-2009 01:35
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang
8bit is low quality, Nintendo sounding stuff. Uses a lot of squarish waveforms and such.

I don't mean to say that the tune isn't quality - I mean most of the synths sound like retro Gameboy sound effects that have been reprocessed. There's actually a whole bunch of different genres that hearken to this sort of sound.

Check out Covox - Dubslide and pay attention to the types of sounds he uses, then imagine them toned down (not so obviously old sk00l) and given a much newer sheen and you have those sorts of synths that Utopia used for this song.

Ah, now I get it Big Grin

Yeah, I thought it sounded like those gaming sounds from the old days. ^^

... (Pretty much sounds like most of the music that's used in a k*yG*n) Wink

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

02-10-2009 17:21 Homepage of jeffijoe
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Error Utopia - Diamond Shine: Sounds