drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » TEN questions about THOR
Go to the bottom of this page TEN questions about THOR
Author
Producer

Registration Date: 24-08-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer
Low pass FIlter:

1. what does KBD knob in lowpass ladder filter do ???? and what does it do when you adjust it on 0 and on max.

2. what is it self Osc ???

3. what are the differences between particular modes?

4. and what is drive??? i thing that it is signal amplifier before filtering so my than my question sounds : how can i set up rate of influence that filter on my signal????

ENVELOPES:

5. mod ENV is env for chorus and delay , thats all?nothing else ?

6. is Global ENv usefull i tried do something with it but without changes of sound...

7. on what and what are AM and BW faders on left side of THor?

8. how is diferences between polyphony and release polyphony

OSC:

9. what is x-fade and position in wawe table osc?

10. what is TUNE in OSCs and what does it acurrately? it apears in many reason devices and i wanna get to now how it works .

many QUestions and much work with writting replies but this topic will be very usefull for many people so i really thank repliers :-) and sory about my english i am noob absolutly but isnt important how i wrote it important is that you understand ( but sometimes very hardly ) :-DDD

Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer Drummer
21-09-2009 20:26
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

think you need to get in touch with basics of sound design before you start asking them questions, half of those are about how any synth works

then watch this

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
21-09-2009 22:15 Homepage of cynik
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Cynik is right, some of these questions are very general about synths. I have never worked with Thor but can answer some of these questions as they are similar in other synths. I just looked at a part of the video and Thor is a very advanced synthesizer - it's better if you start with a simpler synthesizer first, something like the Subtractor. If you understand how this works, you will be able to easier understand and use Thor, and most other synthesizers as well Smile

quote:
Originally posted by TTT31
1. what does KBD knob in lowpass ladder filter do ???? and what does it do when you adjust it on 0 and on max.

Don't know but it probably has something to do with the keyboard. Maybe it changes the filter frequency according to the note played on the keyboard, so you could filter the high notes less than the low notes.

quote:
2. what is it self Osc ???

Self oscillation is a function that makes a filter "whistle". It is a sort of feedback. It is usually something that occurs when you put the resonance to maximum. You will hear it whistle when you activate it and you can change the frequency of it by turning the filter frequency cutoff knob. Fun fact is that this is something that happened in certain old analog synths (eg Moog) and it is now emulated in softsynths.

quote:
4. and what is drive??? i thing that it is signal amplifier before filtering so my than my question sounds : how can i set up rate of influence that filter on my signal????

You're right, it is a signal amplifier. It can also be called Gain. When they call it Drive you can usually crank it up to get some distortion and grunge in the sound. You have to set it up carefully, as high as possible while achieving the sound you want. If it distorts too much you take it down. If it's too clean you turn it up.
A good trick is to turn the filter completely open (take a LPF and put the frequency cutoff to the max), then crank up the drive until it is very distorted and fuzzy sounding, then take down the frequency cutoff so you take off the sharp "edge" off. You will get a very nice and thick grungy sound.

quote:
10. what is TUNE in OSCs and what does it accurately? it appears in many reason devices and i wanna get to now how it works.

With the Tune function you can slightly change the frequency of the notes played. You can put the oscillators (sound sources) slightly out of tune with each other. Like tuning the different strings of a guitar. This will give you a richer and livelier sound, similar to a chorus effect. It is very popular in dnb, things like the Reece bass are dependent on Tune. If you have multiple oscillators running, try turning one up and one down and you'll hear what I mean Wink

I skipped the questions I can't answer, haven't got Reason unfortunately Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
21-09-2009 23:35 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

@Question1:

From the manual of some random VST...

1. CUTOFF controlling the threshold cutoff frequency.
2. RESO controlling the resonance.
3. KBD controls the filter's response to the keyboard.

@Question7:

You may have noticed in the figure that the BW (bandwidth) fader beneath the Osc2 sync button is set to its maximum. Unlike the AM slider (which controls the depth of the modulation) this controls how 'hard' the synchronisation is.

from http://www.propellerheads.se

@Question 8:http://books.google.be

I have never seen THOR, but I have some basic synth knowledge and a little tool called GOOGLE. Try to get your hands onto google (Here's a link to a highly illegal cracked version of google, it gives you access to all kinds of great info).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
22-09-2009 09:31 Homepage of BattleDrone
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Try to get your hands onto google (Here's a link to a highly illegal cracked version of google, it gives you access to all kinds of great info).

NO PUTTING LINKS TO WAREZ BATTLEDRONE! Mad

I've warned you before about putting links to google. Don't make me ban you! Mad Wink

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
22-09-2009 11:06
TTT31
Producer

Registration Date: 24-08-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

thanks a lot for replies, i am not powerless and i can use google :-) but i read many many many text about reason and sounds osc etc.. and better is ask on it people many many time is save and i can use it for composing my tunes.... it soundsvery pisspoorly but in return i am ready deal this knowledge same way as u gave thats me and save time of others composers . once agin really thanks
22-09-2009 14:53
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Try to get your hands onto google (Here's a link to a highly illegal cracked version of google, it gives you access to all kinds of great info).

NO PUTTING LINKS TO WAREZ BATTLEDRONE! Mad

I've warned you before about putting links to google. Don't make me ban you! Mad Wink

Steady boys, or I call the cavalry.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
22-09-2009 16:08 Homepage of Muad'Dib
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

frootyheads get outta reason forum Big Grin

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves