drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Stereo Imaging
Go to the bottom of this page Stereo Imaging
Author
Tryptech

Registration Date: 16-08-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.63

Hi producers,

I found this interesting thread about stereo imaging:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/ar...sician_0107.htm

Stereo Image Trickery With PC Plug-ins
Buy PDFPC Musician
Published in SOS January 2007
Printer-friendly version
Technique : PC Musician

__
ANALOGUE (Tryptech)

17-09-2009 13:35 Homepage of tryptech
Astimony

Registration Date: 30-09-2009

quote:

I found this interesting thread about stereo imaging:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/ar...sician_0107.htm

Thanks, that is a good read.

Messing with the stereo image is a very tricky thing to do, I have started avoiding it in my mixing. I might have to try playing with it some more, it's been a while.

In can have a lot of subtle effects on things that are hard to notice. And unless your room is treated, you can get weird phasing issues from the side walls that obscures them.

I've also heard it go really weird in mp3 encoding.

Also, if the song is going to be played in a club, you can expect that nobody who is listening will have an ideal stereo setup :-)

Definitely try monitoring in mono and left side only/right side only to get a more complete picture of what it is doing to the track.

And I wouldn't look at this at all: "visual feedback as controls vary the stereo image, showing the output positions of central, left and right sounds and their new levels."
The effects that this has can be subtle to notice, and locking eyes in with a picture will give the mind information that something is the same, so it will be harder to notice the things that are different.

Actually, this looks like a poor tradeoff too: "increased spaciousness at the expense of less precise imaging". I'll taking imaging over "spaciousness" any day. I'm not even sure what they mean by spaciousness?

Take care,

-- Astimony

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Astimony: 30-09-2009 14:06.

30-09-2009 14:05
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Astimony
Actually, this looks like a poor tradeoff too: "increased spaciousness at the expense of less precise imaging". I'll taking imaging over "spaciousness" any day. I'm not even sure what they mean by spaciousness?

dunno, I like to experience space in a mix, kind of easier for listening when things take their place instead of everything being in mono

youre missing the picture here IMO, as you dont have to make the entire mix "spacious", you can have one sound in stereo, or a couple, its up to you

I find it works best on non-essential sounds (not drums or bass) when you have two sounds fighting for space, when you use stereo spread on one the mix sounds loads better

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
30-09-2009 14:52 Homepage of cynik
Astimony

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
dunno, I like to experience space in a mix, kind of easier for listening when things take their place instead of everything being in mono

you're missing the picture here IMO, as you dont have to make the entire mix "spacious", you can have one sound in stereo, or a couple, its up to you

I find it works best on non-essential sounds (not drums or bass) when you have two sounds fighting for space, when you use stereo spread on one the mix sounds loads better

You're right, I was missing the point. Thanks for tip, deinfitiely going to have to try this out.

Maybe it was the manu's wording that confused me, because they said the "spaciousness" gave "less precise imaging", but as you point out, it gives you more precise imaging.

-- Astimony
01-10-2009 00:42
Astimony

Actually, I was really missing the point. You don't need a treated room, and the manufacturers writing is fine. It's me that doesn't understand. That's fine too.

I should introduce myself on these forums I guess, but I'm not sure where to do that. My name is Sam Heisz, I'm 35, and I love drum'n'bass.

I listened to some of the tracks on the site. I really like them. There was one that I didn't like very much.

For a while I was thinking that I just wanted to be a mixer. But that was all caught up in a bunch of stuff, I couldn't figure out a way to do that without turning myself into some sort of god.

And I don't want to be a god. I want to make music, and I hope it makes people feel good. Cause it makes me feel good. That's it, that is what I want.

Anyways, thanks for listening,

-- Selfial
01-10-2009 01:41
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Stereo Imaging