drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » how to put things in order?
Go to the bottom of this page how to put things in order?
Author
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-2915.jpg

Registration Date: 07-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hi everyone!

im currently mixing a song... sounds ok so far, but...
(im working with reason4)

- is it ok to give every track its own mastering suite and main mixer???

- instead of turning up the volume of every channel i add whatever i to the mixer, copy it and its patches and instead of turning down the volume?

- how do i get rid of the clipping? by turning down the volume ?

if u have any advice for a balanced mixdown, im open to it.

cheers,
chris

__
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." (Lisa Gerrard)
09-09-2009 19:24 Homepage of Punchinello
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Punchinello- instead of turning up the volume of every channel i add whatever i to the mixer, copy it and its patches and instead of turning down the volume?

If you mean that you let the same thing play twice or more just to add volume, it's not okay. You should use the parameters in any plugins you're already using to increase the volume, or use an additional compressor/limiter, anything really but no dodgy tactics like playing the same thing twice ;-)

quote:
- how do i get rid of the clipping? by turning down the volume ?

Clipping happens on a specific mixer track, it could be your mastertrack, but it could be another one as well (if it is, you will not be able to solve it at the master track).

To fix clipping you will have to check where you are boosting something too much, it has to be fixed right where it is created.
I'm not a Reason user though, I think they will be able to help you better on this.

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
09-09-2009 19:35 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
Punchinello Punchinello is a male
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

so is it better to use just ONE main mixer and not, for example, 4 channels into 4 mixers put into the main mixer but the 4 channels right into the main mixer. (wow, hope the grammar works)...

why is it a dodgy way to use 2 NN-XT to get some loudness???
thought about it as if twins would sing the same thing the same way.

__
"Music is a Place to take Refuge. It's a Sanctuary from Mediocrity and Boredom. It's Innocent and it's a Place you can loose yourself in Thoughts, Memories and Intricacies." (Lisa Gerrard)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Punchinello: 09-09-2009 20:32.

09-09-2009 20:29 Homepage of Punchinello
Dethworm Dethworm is a male
Cymatics

images/avatars/avatar-2734.jpg

Registration Date: 11-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.33

First of all you want only one mixer and maybe one more in order to create submixes. Your going to want to combine each of your instruments and their effects and then route each one of these into the main mixer. Stay away from the mastering suite until you really know what your doing! You shouldnt have two of the same instument going at the same time to boost loudness but can if your using them for different purposes. The key is to EQ everything so it sits in its own frequency range

__

www.soundcloud.com/riveraccorsi
09-09-2009 22:00 Homepage of Dethworm
Punchinello Punchinello is a male
Tourist

Helpfulness rating: 

ok, to know if i got it right...

1)
i do route the channel of instruments and all their effects into the main mixer, not "making a detour" through a second mixer?

2)
NO PROBLEM with routing every channel of my "redrum" into its own channel (kickdrumgets its own channel, snaredrum, hihat, etc.) of another mixer to get more control of it, and then routing this mixer into a channel of the main mixer (this would be a submix, right)?

3)
what about all the effects that should be used as a sending effect?
(my main mixer has 4 channels. this was one of the reasons i gave every instrument its own mixer, to give them the chance of having their own 4 "sending" channels.)

4)
about not using same instruments at the same time:
its okay using two piano melody samples at the same time, if one of them is (for example) chopped and the other one is left original . so it would create some kind of effect? or would it still be better to run them differently?

5)
i am using the "create effect" suite as an effect for drumloops, adding mastering effects onto them. the mastering suite on top is turned into bypass.

... so in the end its not about making it loud but how i am making it loud?

thanks for helping out!

__
10-09-2009 06:34 Homepage of Punchinello
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Moved to the right forum...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
10-09-2009 12:53 Homepage of Muad'Dib
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

Like people say, avoid the mastering suite untill you know what you are doing with it!

Personally I don't really understand why people would say to only use one mixer, each to their own. I generally use around 5 for each song

This is just a general way I have my rack set-up. 4 sub-mixes routed into a master mixer at top.

Mixer (Master)
^ ^ ^ ^
Mixer (Drums) Mixer (Bass) Mixer (SUB) Mixer (Atmos/Pads/Leads)

That way all the separate elements have their own mixer, plus it separates the rack out nicely and helps top find devices easier.

Also it means that you can utilise different sends for different sections.

You seems to be worrying about loudness but really that is nothing you should concern yourself with untill you really start to master the basics.

when you are starting out alll you should really do is make sure you aren't clipping anywhere so that you have a nice clean audio path throughout.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

15-09-2009 09:23 Homepage of D2o
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Reason » how to put things in order?